Why become a member? ×

Band kicked me out

BassHavoc

I can certainly empathise ...

How about this then .... earlier this year I got 'outsted' out of my band that I'd been in for 10 years. Me & guitar player did band's 1st ever gig together but different singers / drummers have come & gone. All the music was basically co-written between the two of us though some tracks were more his & others more mine (maybe even 90% my idea / arrangement). Some tracks even have 3 different lyrics for 3 different singers but music didn't changed much ,,, the band (not signed) is still going & selling cds but I don't get anything .... not even a mention on FB / twitter that 'I quit due to personal reasons' or some crap .. almost like in Back to the Future .. 'I've been erased from existence' lol ..... Haven't heard from them since march this year .. new bass player was there 4 days after my last rehearsal .. I wont bore you with all the details of perhaps why all this happened but you would be a bit shocked .....

but here's the punch line ...

this guitar player I starting gigging / writing with 10 years ago .. well guess what ...he's my brother !

Edited by sifi2112

[quote name='sifi2112' timestamp='1346917743' post='1794718']
I can certainly empathise ...

How about this then .... earlier this year I got 'outsted' out of my band that I'd been in for 10 years. Me & guitar player did band's 1st ever gig together but different singers / drummers have come & gone. All the music was basically co-written between the two of us though some tracks were more his & others more mine (maybe even 90% my idea / arrangement). Some tracks even have 3 different lyrics for 3 different singers but music didn't changed much ,,, the band (not signed) is still going & selling cds but I don't get anything .... not even a mention on FB / twitter that 'I quit due to personal reasons' or some crap .. almost like in Back to the Future .. 'I've been erased from existence' lol ..... Haven't heard from them since march this year .. new bass player was there 4 days after my last rehearsal .. I wont bore you with all the details of perhaps why all this happened but you would be a bit shocked .....

but here's the punch line ...

this guitar player I starting gigging / writing with 10 years ago .. well guess what ...here's my brother !
[/quote]

After getting my brothers' band five gigs, learning their songs in two days and being a glorified roadie for them, I found an advert on Join My Band placed by them asking for a new singer and bass player while I was looking for a drummer for my own band.
They didn't even have the decency to tell me in person, they were just going to play whatever gigs they have coming up with my replacement without saying a word to me.
Looks like not even being family matters when it all gets a bit Spinal Tap.

Exactly the same thing happened to me with a band I had been in for 5 years. Shown the door for appearance rather than ability. It cost me a close friendship,well at least I thought he was my friend - but he was swayed by the chance of making it. I'm not talking about a small label either - this was the big boys! Anyways, my brother showd integrity and walked with me. Resultantly the others couldn't replace us without seriously altering the sound and dynamic (just the bass player eh...) and are mostly sitting on their thumbs these days. I got myself out, formed another band that is still going strong after 6 years - new LP coming soon. I also play in a soul covers band which is nice. I'm sure you'll be fine and your old band will no doubt get royally screwed somewhere along the line. Learn from the experience, and move on!