Why become a member? ×

Bass storage around babies...

Skol303

Here's a handy tip for those of you with infants at home...

Never - I repeat, NEVER - store your bass in the same room you use to change your baby's nappies.

This morning, my wife informed me that Skol Jnr had managed to wriggle off the changing mat (placed on the floor) and reverse his yet to be cleaned rear end into my bass, which was parked nearby.

The result? Not pretty nor pleasant, or so I'm told.

I'm convinced this is is some kind of 'dirty protest' and that he's destined to become a guitarist.

Live and learn people, live and learn.

It was always suggested to me that I should hang them as high as possible on the wall with those clamping hangers to keep them out of the way.

You'll be fine putting the basses on normal floor stands as usual though ;)

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1342793613' post='1741067']
My sister's double bass developed a rattle...turned out the rugrat had posted a slice of toast through the f-hole.

Well you would, wouldn't you!
[/quote]

When our drummer cut a round hole in the front skin of his bass drum (to improve projection or some other nonsense) he wondered why it sounded rattlier and rattlier as the rehearsal went on. We were of course posting empty beer cans through the handy size hole.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1342792845' post='1741051']
Here's a handy tip for those of you with infants at home...

Never - I repeat, NEVER - store your bass in the same room you use to change your baby's nappies.

This morning, my wife informed me that Skol Jnr had managed to wriggle off the changing mat (placed on the floor) and reverse his yet to be cleaned rear end into my bass, which was parked nearby.

The result? Not pretty nor pleasant, or so I'm told.

I'm convinced this is is some kind of 'dirty protest' and that he's destined to become a guitarist.

Live and learn people, live and learn.
[/quote]

I can only apologies for chuckling about the 'poo on bass' thing, we've got 3 under 5's and thus far I've never had any bodily substance on any of my guitars, I have been thoroughly hosed while nappy changing on a couple of occasions though! There have also been a few nervious moments while I trumped at during nappy changes too!

Guitars live in their cases in our attic room so well out of the way of jammy little fingers. I do have a very cheap and fairly nasty nylon strung guitar that I use for playing kids songs for them to sing to (dingle dangle scarecrow, sleepy bunnies, wheels on the bus, etc) that they can 'help' me play sometimes...it was nearly dead when I was given it (top and back parting from sides and a distinct fold in the top) so it doesn't matter if it gets bust

With 2 daughters, one 2 1/2 and the other 8 weeks old, all I've had is a bit of drool on one bass. That was when it was lying on the floor for the eldest to explore as she loves the sounds it makes.

They're normally wall mounted, the lowest part of the body is 5' up the wall above a desk and drawers.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1342793871' post='1741076']
When our drummer cut a round hole in the front skin of his bass drum (to improve projection or some other nonsense) he wondered why it sounded rattlier and rattlier as the rehearsal went on. We were of course posting empty beer cans through the handy size hole.
[/quote]

LOOOOL!!!! :D Poor bugger wondering if his snare is messed up or... ??

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1342795467' post='1741118']
my little one has loved my jazz bass since she was tiny. I have photos of her plugging it in at about 1 year old. I figure it'll be cheaper for her to be into music than ponies.
[/quote]

My mates "little one" loved his jazz so much he, together with another mates "little one" decided to "re-design" it with the ball end of a hammer. The end result wasn't pretty.

To the OP, Leave your basses in the same room as your "little one" at your peril. You were lucky it was just some poo.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1342856179' post='1741849']
My little un loves my guitars but is very careful around them. She's three now but I still love this pic.

[/quote]

To get a wee one to look at the camera, to smile, and to hold on to the bass all at the same time is just fantastic. I can well understand why you cherish this picture. Superb!

I keep my best bass(es) shut away in their hardcase, and just leave my modded RBX270 out on a stand in the living room. It's never been damaged at all, but it came close a couple of times, and has had sticky fingers on it on several occasions!

Be grateful, am unable to get my daughter (nearly 14 now) to interact with basses, guitars, harps or keyboards. Despite being an excellent clarinet player with really good sight reading she just gave up. I keep suggesting start a band with friends, look you can use one of my guitars and amps. However despite these offers of good kit, no enthusiasm whatsoever. Looks like I will not be supported by multi million rich daughter in band lol, just have to keep day job.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1342941972' post='1742883']

To get a wee one to look at the camera, to smile, and to hold on to the bass all at the same time is just fantastic. I can well understand why you cherish this picture. Superb!
[/quote]
Thanks :) its a really special picture. She's pretty much the dream child.

Number two however :-/
Hmmmm