Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a 5string and not like them? And why?

Marvin

I've had a couple of noodles on a friends 5 string bass. Surprisingly I found it a lot easier than I was expecting so am contemplating getting one.

However, these noodles have only amounted to about half an hour in total. So I was just wandering if anyone who had a sustained go at the 5er didn't get on with it and why. There are several threads on advising members on starting on a 5er I was just wandering what pitfalls and problems people might have encountered.

Commissioned and bought a Warwick Custom Dolphin SN 5 a few years ago.
I used it gigging/recording for about a year and struggled with it.
A fantastic bass which sounded and played superbly BUT in times of stress and terror I couldn't find "home" which, to me, is bottom E.
Therefore, a really good bass had to go and I've reverted to using olden day 4 stringers with which I'm much more comfortable and confident.
(Do miss that bottom B note when playing Red House, though - I'll get my Afghan coat and leave for Katmandu, shall I....?) :ph34r:

Edited by Jazzneck

I love 5-stringers and could not play without one. In general:

1 - you really need to get used to that bottom string being a B, not and E, and that third fret being a D, not a G (easily done with some practice, but it does take a little time to readjust when you swap basses with a 4).

2 - a 5 will tend to sound different, usually deeper, than a 4, even when playing the same note on the same string and fret on the two basses.

3 - the neck is obviously wider, and you do have to get used to moving your hand and fingers around a little more. One of the reasons why I love my fretless 5 is that it allows me to jump around the fingerboard with less effort than a fretted.

4 - to do justice to a 5, you need a good amp (although I manage all right with my 20W Peavey, then again, I don't play live).

Do take the plunge and enjoy! :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1339868957' post='1695709']
I love 5-stringers and could not play without one. In general:

1 - you really need to get used to that bottom string being a B, not and E, and that third fret being a D, not a G (easily done with some practice, but it does take a little time to readjust when you swap basses with a 4).

2 - a 5 will tend to sound different, usually deeper, than a 4, even when playing the same note on the same string and fret on the two basses.

3 - the neck is obviously wider, and you do have to get used to moving your hand and fingers around a little more. One of the reasons why I love my fretless 5 is that it allows me to jump around the fingerboard with less effort than a fretted.

4 - to do justice to a 5, you need a good amp (although I manage all right with my 20W Peavey, then again, I don't play live).

Do take the plunge and enjoy! :)
[/quote]

Thank you Bluejay. I think I'll be slightly cheeky and ask to borrow the one I've been noodling on.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1339869220' post='1695714']
I used to play 5 string. Went back to 4 since i kept forgetting the B.

Brilliant thumb rests though!
[/quote]

The 5 I played belongs to the guitarist in my band. He bought it to play bass in his other band. He's never played bass in a band before and when I picked it up I said his E string seem a little slack. "It's in drop D" he said "The B just throws me". I said to him it'd make a good thumb rest. Unfortunately he can only play with a pick, he's obviously not a proper bass player ;)

I borrowed a 5 stringer for weeks on end (many thanks WaynePD).

Initially, I loved it. I'd expected to struggle as I have small hands but closer string spacing helped me play my usual lines rather than hindered. Covering 2 octaves with very little effort was also great. It was a Wesley so not a top flight bass and in need of a good setup so I hadn't been expecting top string balance, tone etc. Similar to LukeFRC though, even with higher quality basses, I've struggled to find ones where all the strings sound like they're on the same bass. A Warwick Streamer V was very good, but even heavier than the IV.

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1339868061' post='1695687']
Commissioned and bought a Warwick Custom Dolphin SN 5 a few years ago.
I used it gigging/recording for about a year and struggled with it.
A fantastic bass which sounded and played superbly BUT in times of stress and terror I couldn't find "home" which, to me, is bottom E.
Therefore, a really good bass had to go and I've reverted to using olden day 4 stringers with which I'm much more comfortable and confident.
(Do miss that bottom B note when playing Red House, though - I'll get my Afghan coat and leave for Katmandu, shall I....?) :ph34r:
[/quote]

This. Except mine was a Streamer LX, not a Custom Dolphin.

I had a Warwick Corvette 5 at the same time as a Warwick Dolphin 4 - both excellent instruments but I couldn't get used to changing from one to the other - different string widths - for me it was either a 4 or 5 - preferred the 4 so the 5 initially went underused then eventually had to go.

The issue of the low B wasn't an issue once used to the lower range - I suppose it's a mind set. I don't know about others but I'd have to commit to a 4 or a 5.

I had a couple for about a year and in truth it didn't really take long to get used to them. During the year though something wasn't right - i can't even tell you now what it was. The 5 stringers just didn't feel right to me. Kind of like a woman with an Adams Apple and big hands.

I use both all the time. I find that using both often is the best approach. It forces me to get my head around them both being different. I'm now quite comfortable on either.
I would suggest starting with a lower price one so you minimise outlay. I swapped a four string bass worth around £150 on here for a cheap yamaha BBg5 and it sounds and plays lovely.
I reckon the only way you'll know if you'll get on with a fiver is to try as it appears some find it easier than others.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1339870464' post='1695744']
Kind of like a woman with an Adams Apple and big hands.
[/quote]

That's Dorset girls for you...

Quite enjoy a 5 string now and again, I keep one for occasional use, but after 30 years of 4 strings I find them a bit alien.
If you want to borrow one for a more sustained try out, give me a shout.

I think its just takes time. I started playing 5-string a year after i started playing. It took about 5 days of solid practise to get kind of used to it. There was still the occasional mistake. However, been playing 17 yrs now mainly 5 string and i don't feel any difference when swapping between 4 and 5. I'm not saying it for a lame show off, it just illustrates my point of it taking time.

can get on fine with 6 but not so with 5 - as jazzneck says above.... the open E is the home position for me and the open B is like added extra bonus

personally its is also a matter of symmetry too - the 6 to me is the 4 with one extra both top and bottom whereas the 5 seems unbalanced and i find myself occasionally getting the B confused for the E

The main problem I found was narrower string spacing for my right hand. I think that, unless you're using the extra string, there is no point playing one. 4s , IMO of course, feel better in hand and I wouldn't have that extra wood in hand unless it was going to be used.

I've never met a floppy B that a .135 string couldn't fix.

Tried a 5 string OLP MM3 - didn't get along with it probably due to the tight string spacing. Also I don't really play things that require a note lower than E1 and changing the "home" position for my right thumb throws me off too. Bah humbug.

I might get on better with one with wider spacing, but I've felt no desire or requirement to try. Also, Gibson make precious few 5 string basses, and I don't think I like any of them.

I had a G&L L2500 for about a year.

1 Beautiful bass with a wide range of tones but my experience was:

2 String spacing was too narrow.

3 I rarely used the B string - just on the odd occasion that I could make use of a low Eb, D, Db, C or B, which really was rarely and was never essential.

4 The B string didn't have the solidity of tone of the E string.

5 I did not need five strings and the fifth string was in my way so ....

6 I traded it for a fretless four string Fender Jazz.

Thinking about the music I listen too.... I kinda always want to buy a 4 string jazz, as that's what's on the funk records I listen too.
But not much I listen too uses 5's. I like the [i]idea[/i] of a 5 string though, or even 6 if it's a TRB

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1339869598' post='1695724']
The 5 I played belongs to the guitarist in my band. He bought it to play bass in his other band. He's never played bass in a band before and when I picked it up I said his E string seem a little slack. "It's in drop D" he said "The B just throws me". I said to him it'd make a good thumb rest. Unfortunately he can only play with a pick, he's obviously not a proper bass player ;)
[/quote]

Good one!