Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a 5string and not like them? And why?

Marvin

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1340266315' post='1701802']
I think it depends on what you play and how you play... Rocking out root notes then why bother?
For most other types of music, reading, improvising etc then there definitely is a reason to bother as it gives you more options and more ways to express ones self musically. Playing a 4 string feels like (what I imagine) being in a straight jacket is.
[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. Most of the "classic" tunes that are famous on bass (not many i know) were done on a 4 string.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1339931845' post='1696362']
In a 70's covers band (so no drop D, no Doom stuff) where the key we play in is as often determined by the singer's range as by the original recording, a 5-string allows me to drop the original key by up to a fourth with no issues at all.[/quote]

This, for me, is the key value of a 5. And by a 5 I mean a bass with an extra low string. I just don't see any value in having more high notes - not for me anyway. It's not that I don't play up the dusty end, but I just don't need any MORE high notes! Depends on the music you play I guess.

Quite a lot of music is written in E. Try to play those tracks with a singer that can't quite hit the high notes and dropping down may be the best option. That would mean playing the bass lines at the fourth ot fifth fret on the A string as the LOWEST notes on a four string (or, as others have advocated, dropping your E string down to a D - with possible associated string tension issues...).

Despite saying, a few months ago, that I was done with five strings; I've just bought another one! :rolleyes: As it is a significantly higher quality instrument (I hope!) than my previous two, I anticipate that several of the issues that I used to have will be improved.

I sometimes use the low "extra" notes as an effect. They are great for impact. Depending on the band though, playing below E a lot of the time can cause problems with the mix. It certainly does (IMO) with my current originals band. The overall sound was improved by my going back to a four. Just "fits" better with the blend of sounds and instruments in that particular band. Hard to explain, but noticeable when listening to playbacks of recorded stuff.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1340291190' post='1702396']
I respectfully disagree. Most of the "classic" tunes that are famous on bass (not many i know) were done on a 4 string.
[/quote]

Maybe so, but what if the singers on those "classic" tunes had preferred keys of E flat or D? No low root notes to use then... consequently a possibly rather thin low end...

I can see how they're very useful to the right player in the right circumstances.
No good for me though as I really have no need or want for those five extra notes in the music I play or write.
The neck size and spacing feels very inhibiting for me. I can't even make the tiny switch from a Precision to a Jazz. Too big a difference to feel comfortable with.
Besides I haven't learnt how to play or make use of 4 strings properly yet.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1340291948' post='1702412']
Besides I haven't learnt how to play or make use of 4 strings properly yet.
[/quote]

I'm reminded of a quote from Billy Sheehan. I think someone on here has it in their sig...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1340291547' post='1702403']
Maybe so, but what if the singers on those "classic" tunes had preferred keys of E flat or D? No low root notes to use then... consequently a possibly rather thin low end...
[/quote]
e flat you would just move the whole tuning a semi tone. If they insisted on D well.... where do you think the "rock" trend for tight trousers came from?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1340291547' post='1702403']
[/quote]
Hmm not sure. I can think of loads of songs that are in D that sound great. Its not like the bass player has got to play the root note - in D he can use the D on his 5th fret 3rd string then use the 4th string upwards to complete a bass line. James Browns band did it a lot. You gotta love the dusty Eb on the 11th fret of the 4th string too.

OK, you might have a bit more hand movement on a 4 string but people will come up to you after the gig and think you are brilliant. Its just being lazy on a 5 string with your hand stuck in one place :P

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1340301859' post='1702640']
Hmm not sure. I can think of loads of songs that are in D that sound great. Its not like the bass player has got to play the root note - in D he can use the D on his 5th fret 3rd string then use the 4th string upwards to complete a bass line. James Browns band did it a lot. You gotta love the dusty Eb on the 11th fret of the 4th string too.

OK, you might have a bit more hand movement on a 4 string but people will come up to you after the gig and think you are brilliant. Its just being lazy on a 5 string with your hand stuck in one place :P
[/quote]

Well it might be good to do for effect every now and again but I don't think it is ideal. Having a 5 string just gives you the option of using the root note, doesn't mean you have to use it every time.

Im just working out a new set of songs for a few dep gigs and the 5 string is so much easier for finding whats what! I wish I had done this years ago, lots of the songs are in different keys to the originals so Im learning the shapes rather than the notes Im familiar with on the 4 string so come the rehersal on monday (the only one) I will just shift that about, lazy or sensible you choose :)

As seen in the 'For Sale' section, I've just parted company with my second 5er.

Good bass, good neck, good sound. But switching between 4 and 5 was meaning I was making silly mistakes (on both types of bass), and with the amount of gigs I do, I can't make that many obvious mistakes. So, back to the 4s, and specifically, the Fender 4s! It's home, it works, and I can use an octaver if I need more range.

It took me a while to take to them, because I went straight from 4-string to 6-string and found a 5-string...pointless. But in time I came to love them.
If I KNOW I'm not gonna use the high-C then a 5-string is fine, also some are made for certain uses my 6-string cannot.

With the bands and musicians I jam with these days though anything under 5-string isn't desirable to me. I've never liked BEAD tuning on a 4-string because to me I've just chopped off the G-string and as someone said here, just because you have a low-B doesn't mean that's your root. I still stay on the E-string as my home, no matter what tuning it's in.

Not a fan of "Drop-D" either, for octave purposes, so if your band is in Drop-D you can get away with standard on a 5-string.
My main band is in drop-B but because of the low-B string I stay purely in standard...If something too hard to reach riff wise I'll just tap it instead. :-P

That out of the way, the issue with sloppy low-B has never came this way. Either change the string (some companies make bad Low-B strings), the type (Tapered / non-tapered), the gauge (Heavier doesn't always mean better), your attack and / or the pickups.
I play mostly 35" scale because it's what I like but the best Low-B I ever had was on my old Ibanez RD605, which is a 34" scale, so can't really judge by scale either.
Also EQ, scooping mids usually makes a low-B too boomy or clacky, a bit of mids just shy from the shoebox area gives them a lot more kick.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
But as a conclusion; 5-strings? Yep, I like them. :-)

I began playing when I was 12 and bought my first 5 when I was 19. I played 5s exclusively for about 10 years before moving to 6s for a couple of years.

I then realised that I didn't need the extra two strings or the neck that could've doubled as an ironing board (Yamaha TRB6II) so I went back to 4.

I've only played 4s since and don't miss the low B thumb rest. I learned to play in D A D G tuning thanks to Bad Love by Eric Clapton and Another Brick in the Wall by the Floyd before moving to 5s so for the one or two songs I need a low D for in a night, I just tune the E down a tone.