Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a 5string and not like them? And why?

Marvin

Well, I hope this counts as helpful. Played a number of 5 string basses (while in the 'early learning' phase :P) and landed on an Ibanez BTB575. It stood out because of its solid B string and after getting home, I realised that it was because of its 35" scale. I loved it to bits and found that it differed to a 4 string in a way that I liked. I owned it for quite a while and decided that if I was comfortable with a 5 string, it would be silly not to buy another one to replace my Ibanez, so I bought another one and was still loving it, up to the point where I sold it.

And so now i'm looking for another 5 string to replace it. It sounds strange too, but I didn't get on much with my previous 5 string, whereas my Ibanez made me feel like the B string should be played more often because it sounded to clear and bright.

I actually prefer 5er's, part of it could be just because it's all I've played for maybe a year and a half but I prefer having the string spacing closer. A few times (generally if it required slapping) I've felt like more space between strings would be good but nothing some practice cant sort!

Tried manfully to get to grips with a five stringer....

I had a lovely Attitude Standard 5 for a few years - played it out about a dozen times and I just could not get my head (and fingers) around the B. I loved the sound and the Bass played beautifully, but it wasn't for me.

Weirdly, I've had to tune down (E-D) loads of times and never had any significant screw ups.

For me, this is the way to go...[url="http://www.krappyguitars.com/punkrod.html"]http://www.krappyguitars.com/punkrod.html[/url]

String spacing with right hand is still causing some entertainment for my band. Plus my inability to remember where notes are. I am surprised how much the slightly closer string spacing has thrown me. Reality is I need to practice, not more, but actually do some :(

I have a Jazz and a Ray 4 and the string spacing is as different between them as it is between the 4 and 5 string rays at the business end (first 5 frets), if you can play p and jazz width nut basses that end should be ok, same at the bridge end lots of folk swap between 4's with different string spacing and scale length. Variety is the spice of life (says the man with 3 Rays!) :)

Hi Marvin, if some of this helps great. Been playing 4 string for about 18 years before going to five, I did have one of my basses strung BEAD at times but did not always find that very versitile. It did take me a long time to get used to the B instead of E because I referance from there, I much prefer the five to a four even though I play very much like I'm on a 4 string, I hardly play below the low D. Reason I like 5 string:
I prefer the neck shape on most 5's they are wider but usally a bit flatter which I like.
I do quite a lot of theater work were I'm reading from orchestral arrangements, having the extra string makes reading easier, a lot of these parts are in Ab, Eb, Bb and F, other keys to but the low F comes in a lot and having it on the 6th fret on the low B puts more notes under your fingers and helps by not having to jump to the first fret all the time.
An extra string to play is also an extra string to keep quiet, especially if you are going through a big system, an underlying drone of unmuted strings under your bass part is not good, with the five I rest my thumb on the low B, sometimes on the E if i'm playing more than one note on the G string, I play finger style with rest strokes so the string above the one I'm playing is muted, I use mostly two fingers and the third for muting, so if I'm playing on the D string, my thumb is blocking low B, my third finger is resting on the E and the playing fingers are muting the A. There are other ways, that just works for me, hope this helps and enjoy what ever you decide on.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1339877085' post='1695874'] How would you know the music you listen to was done on a four rather than a five? It does have all the same notes plus some extra ones. Flea openly states that he uses 5 ers in the studio but I can't recall seeing him play one live for example. [/quote] good point.

I'll subscribe to this to ensure that I never buy a 5 string bass ever again! :lol:

You get 5 extra notes on a 5 string; 2 of which are very easily accessible by simply dropping the E down to D on a 4 string. I've now tried (at gig/band volume for more than just a song or two) x4 5 string basses and I've yet to find one that sounds as good as a decent 4 string when playing down to low D. I will now sell the 5 tht I have and continue to detune my four strings down to D for the odd song (who needs the notes below that as they are muffled mush any way).

Well for me I started on 4 strings, went to 5s for a few years and for some odd reason went back to 4! Overall I find it easier to learn on a 4, I guess too many options confuse my little brain. Oh and I think dropped D sounds better than fretting one on the B string :lol:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1339896921' post='1696094']
Weirdly I prefer 4 strings and 6 strings to 5ers :blink:
[/quote]

You maybe have a hidden-undeveloped phobia of odd numbers, I believe that's why I can't get along with 4 or 6 strings... :ph34r:

Edited by Cameronj279

I think the biggest two problems with a 5 string bass are:

Crap B strings, easily sorted by getting a decent 5er. £400ish can pick you up an L2500 or a SUB5 for example, lots of 5ers seem to be 4 strings with an extra string bolted on and a wider neck which doesn't always work IMO. For a good idea how a B string should be, a 5 string ray or Warwick are definitely basses to look to just to get a feel of how they should be.

The neck width, they are wider and the depth of the neck changes over the strings too. Some people have problems with cramp etc on the bigger necks, for some it's worth persevering and getting used to it, some don't bother.

Personally I went from a 4 string to a 6 string, then back down to a 5. Once you're used to a 5 string it does everything a 4 string does and more. Because I can play a 5 string, I don't see the point in limiting myself with a 4. I wouldn't mind owning a decent 6er but with my main band being a 3 piece, I very rarely need to play anything high up (the music thins out too much without more instruments fattening it up) and with my 2nd band being ska-ish, I'd struggle with a lot of the basslines with the extra string on.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1339900313' post='1696104']
You maybe have a hidden-undeveloped phobia of odd numbers, I believe that's why I can't get along with 4 or 6 strings... :ph34r:
[/quote]

:blink:

I hope not! I'll never be able to play in unnecessarily complicated time signatures :(

it's just practice. Time on the instrument sorts most things. I never found the B string a problem, more for me was the D and G strings with right hand plucking.

I bought a wide neck 35" scale 5'er to better ensure accurate playing. Once I got comfortable with the 5 I bought a 'better' quality instrument also 35" but with a narrower string spacing.

[quote name='foal30' timestamp='1339905082' post='1696115']
it's just practice. Time on the instrument sorts most things. I never found the B string a problem, more for me was the D and G strings with right hand plucking.
[/quote]

Same as. Plus when I first migrated from a 4 string to a 6 I would constantly pluck the wrong string :angry:

[quote name='carldogs' timestamp='1339885401' post='1696012']
Hi Marvin, if some of this helps great. Been playing 4 string for about 18 years before going to five,........
[/quote]

Thank you Carl, great post covering issues that haven't come up yet.

And thanks to everyone. There seem to be some recurrent points coming up, string spacing and just remembering that top string is a B and not an E. I found that when I tried the 5 I started playing one of my basslines the E when it should start on the A.

They one I had suffered from extreme neck dive. But that was about 12 years ago and I've not seen anyone comment recently on this.

I liked the fact you don't have to play a open E and found most of the time with a 4 string my default hand position is the bottom 5 frets whereas with a 5 string it's first finger on the 5th fret.