Why become a member? ×

Is it a crime to add a J-pickup to this beauty?

mcnach

Seeing that it seems they never made Jazz basses with unlined maple boards... and Warmoth necks would run into > $300... the idea of an extra pickup is very appealing. Like someone said, it seems like a waste not to ;)

Model J are nice pickups, but call me vain, I'd prefer something with standard looks (normal polepieces), and probably humbucking (which the Model J is).

Hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Would it not be more prudent to buy a J body, fit that neck and route for a P pup under the scratch plate. Then you have a reversable mod on the J body (The P body will be scared for life) and ready made routing and controls for 2 pickups.

A

PS - Hi its been a while :D

I think the point here is that, as you say, you love the bass but keep wishing you had a J pup. It's your bass and it doesn't seem to me that you're going to setlle to the bass until you fit the extra pup. If you do fit a J pup I'd be interested to hear what you think of the new sound as I currently have a CIJ fretless precision with just the one precision pup. All the best with your decision making!

Don't do it Jose. She's a classic beauty.
I don't think you will gain all that much from a bridge pup anyway. Besides Ps and Js are just not meant to be together - if you want to do it for tonal reasons put in an equally matched humbucker not a single coil... and we know you ain't gonna do that. :D

Have you played about with a PJ recently?

IME the actual difference/addition in sound is debatable especially when you factor in the cost of the work and parts to do it.
I would say leave it as is and get a J body/whole J bass to do what you want, as suggested previously...