Why become a member? ×

Is it a crime to add a J-pickup to this beauty?

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1339201357' post='1685413']
:)

no surgery required.

Jazz bass fretless rules, soundwise. Although the "thump" of the Precision is really very nice too. Surgery not totally averted :lol:

And this has brought another problem for me. I want the Jazz to be orange. Very orange (it is shoreline gold right now). Oh, first world problems indeed :P
[/quote]

The ghost of surgery is still there... but meanwhile, the VM Jazz is distracting me enough.
and, about the body colour... well, see a new thread here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179199-refinishing-amateurishly-a-jazz-bass-body/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/179199-refinishing-amateurishly-a-jazz-bass-body/[/url]

Someone added a J-pickup to my Fender Am. Precision Bass '62 (was already there when I bought it) and I always turn down the volume completely. It really adds a lot to the sound, but I believe that's not what you want when you buy a Precision. And it looks so cool without the J-pickup... Obviously, this is only my opinion :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338506863' post='1675746']
I love playing this bass.

But I keep wishing for a bridge J pickup.

Would I condemn my soul to Hell (a room full of Nigel Clutterbuck wannabes) if I route this and install a J type pickup there?

[/quote]

Fretless maple board !
Don't dig in this beautiful ash body. Respect the trees ! :D

My advice would be to find a newer original PJ bass : Sandberg or Ibanez for example, affordable and good instruments.

I'm with AndyTravis on this one. Don't do it. Makes me regret even more that I didn't buy it when it was up for sale.

Besides ruining an unusual and interesting instrument, what you're proposing to do won't work. It will never sound like a traditional fretless jazz bass with those horrible strings on it, whatever pickups you put in it.

If you absolutely have to do it, take it to a proper luthier to get it done - I've seen so many original '70s Precisions that have been destroyed by cack-handed routing in a vain quest to make them into something they're not.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1338556966' post='1676320']

I have a router, if I get a good template I might just go at it myself.

[/quote]

Oh well.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1339930448' post='1696327']
I'm with AndyTravis on this one. Don't do it. Makes me regret even more that I didn't buy it when it was up for sale.

Besides ruining an unusual and interesting instrument, what you're proposing to do won't work. It will never sound like a traditional fretless jazz bass with those horrible strings on it, whatever pickups you put in it.

If you absolutely have to do it, take it to a proper luthier to get it done - I've seen so many original '70s Precisions that have been destroyed by cack-handed routing in a vain quest to make them into something they're not.

Oh well.
[/quote]

I don't understand when people get so precious about instruments :lol:

Sure, routing made by taking chunks of wood with your teeth will look hideous... but how exactly do you ruin it by adding a pickup! :P

As for the "it won't work"... P/J basses are not exactly a crazy notion, tons of them out there, I owned one at one point. I happen to think it's a nice combination :)

Damn it, now I feel like putting a J and an MM pickup together just to spite you!!! :lol: (just joking, alright, please don't shoot me ;))

Anyway, this idea has been indefinitely postponed as I'm working with a Squier Jazz fretless which is actually very nice. I prefer the Precision in how it feels (and looks, but that's secondary) but the Jazz gets me closer to the sound I prefer most of the time, although the Precision does a lovely thump.

Oh, and another thing :P Those horrible strings are lovely!!! I have them also in a Jazz (fretted) and I really like them.

It just sounds like you and I are not twin brothers separated at birth. But that's ok with me. :)

In 1977 I bought a Gibson EB0, about 10 years old at the time, and rather battered, but played (and still does play) like a dream.
But it lacked the tones I was looking for, so I had a J P/U professionally fitted at the bridge. It gave me all the brightness I could ever wish for, and then some! For the best part of 20 years it was my main instrument, couldn't find anything to touch it in terms of playability.
But now it's in retirement, and if I wanted to sell it on, the authenticity value is gone forever, short of investing in a serious refurbishment.
But for many years that guitar was a big part of my life, and although purists would tell me I wrecked it, my own opinion is that I turned it into a far better musical instrument - which is first and foremost what I wanted.
Regrets? Well OK, a few, sometimes.
Would I do it again? Yes, no question.

• 4 weeks later...

OK.

A bunch of you will be happy to know that no P-basses were harmed in the production of this thread.
The bass remains unmodified... but it will be leaving me soon. I decided that I preferred the Squier VM Jazz for sound and I just will cope with the fact that it does not feel as nice (but it's still nice) or looks as good, and I am selling it to purchase a beauty of a natural CIJ 75 RI Fender Jazz.
I could keep both, and swap necks! Imagine that! ;)

No. The P-bass is going. To Germany.