Why become a member? ×

Do you consider yourself an "expert" bass player?

Jam

I wouldn't want an 'intermediate' in my band - mind you, I wouldn't want a self-proclaimed 'expert' either. The poor guy (go back three pages) was probably following the CV convention of indicating his relative proficiency in whatever he does. Scratch below the surface and he'll probably be a pleasant, modest and proficient bass player. Which is what I am, but without the modest and pleasant bit.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1337509395' post='1661004']
This is music and I've been doing it a long time, so I'm an expert in comparison to some and a beginner in comparison to others.

That's the spur to always do better. You gotta keep moving forwards.
[/quote]

We must go forward, not backward. Upward, not forward. And always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1337509824' post='1661023']
I'm glad to say that my enthusiasm is still greater than my ability.

And I'll be happy for it to stay that way :)
[/quote]

Amen to that my brother!

Some interesting comments here about how someone can be a perfectly good bassist ( perhaps any instrumentalist?) without having an understanding of music theory, note positions, scales, chords etc. Macca is famously quoted as not being able to read or write music and, whatever your opinions of him, it doesn't seem to have held him back.

So . . . . why does music teaching always concentrate on the theory, on notes, scales, chords etc?

I'm not suggesting there is no place for such teaching - of course there is - but why is there no alternative teaching methods that promote the 'self-taught' methods such as jamming along to favourite songs, showing how to play certain licks, that sort of thing?

Or maybe there is and I've never noticed.

I'm not an expert but I do have faith in my own abilities. I know I can hear a song and play something that fits with it and sounds good in short order, and I'm proud of being able to do that. I'm happy with my level of playing and for the music I enjoy listening to and making, I dont really need to develop much further than where I am.

So I'm good, I reckon, compared to your average man in the street who knows how to play smoke on the water at least. But not an expert.

No way Jose am i an expert player. I don't even like to think in those terms as it serves nobody except the egotist who proclaims they are. If what i play fits the song and gets people moving then job done.

If i was forced to place myself on the Richter scale of bass brilliance after nearly 30 years of playing, some of those as a pro, it would be about 5,

As other wiser heads have said, the more i learn, the more i realise there is to learn. And thats a good thing.

Define the word 'expert'. Maybe competent would be a better phrase?

I would never class myself as an 'expert' in anything.

OK, I play bass. I've been playing 30+ years, but only seriously in the last 10 years or so. As I have progressed, by ability has progressed and I learn more and more as I go. My playing has been described as sensitive and an integral part of the worship band in which I play. But at no time would I describe myself as an 'expert' since I still have shed-loads to learn.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1337511393' post='1661056']
Some interesting comments here about how someone can be a perfectly good bassist ( perhaps any instrumentalist?) without having an understanding of music theory, note positions, scales, chords etc. Macca is famously quoted as not being able to read or write music and, whatever your opinions of him, it doesn't seem to have held him back.

[b]So . . . . why does music teaching always concentrate on the theory, on notes, scales, chords etc?[/b]

I'm not suggesting there is no place for such teaching - of course there is - but why is there no alternative teaching methods that promote the 'self-taught' methods such as jamming along to favourite songs, showing how to play certain licks, that sort of thing?

Or maybe there is and I've never noticed.
[/quote]

Because you are perpetuating ignorance otherwise...
Some can get by on that and do very very well...others are stifled but maybe don't realise it or either care.
If you are learning then sooner or later you are going to come up against more educated musicians..I am not saying this alone makes them better that may not apply at all...but it means you both may struggle to converse, should you have cause to do so..which is likely.

[quote name='Jam' timestamp='1337469270' post='1660644']
I like that.

Glad it's not just me that feels this way!
[/quote]
[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1337517534' post='1661169']
I think that you can only call yourself "expert" if you are at virtuoso status on 4, 5, 6 string fretted and fretless and upright.

So that's nobody then. :ph34r:
[/quote]

`The trouble is on things like star now where an advert says you must be at "expert" level to apply for this gig. From what i'v found all that means is you need to have the ability to improvise, play various styles, be able to read, and to be experienced at playing in a band.

Which is the minimum for any professional gig really.

Btw i'm not saying I'm anywhere near what i would class to be an expert and i fully back the comment of the more you learn the more you realise you have left to learn.

Edited by blackmn90

[Very] Experienced/ex pro/ good busker/quick learner/great reader/reliable/Funky/good Jazzer/backing vocals/good soloist etc....
But - 'Expert' to describe a Musician seems really odd - makes him/her sound like some sort of corporate team leader. :lol:

Garry

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1337509824' post='1661023'] I'm glad to say that my enthusiasm is still greater than my ability. And I'll be happy for it to stay that way :) [/quote]

+1

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1337511393' post='1661056'] Some interesting comments here about how someone can be a perfectly good bassist ( perhaps any instrumentalist?) without having an understanding of music theory, note positions, scales, chords etc. Macca is famously quoted as not being able to read or write music and, whatever your opinions of him, it doesn't seem to have held him back. So . . . . why does music teaching always concentrate on the theory, on notes, scales, chords etc? I'm not suggesting there is no place for such teaching - of course there is - but why is there no alternative teaching methods that promote the 'self-taught' methods such as jamming along to favourite songs, showing how to play certain licks, that sort of thing? Or maybe there is and I've never noticed. [/quote]

I think there are certainly teachers who do encourage people to use those sort of methods, but they're usually your "local guitar shop" type teacher.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1337512169' post='1661074'] Somebody that describes themselves as an expert is most probably going to be an unbearably almighty bellend, regardless of whether they actually are an expert or not. [/quote]

+1. Unless they are applying for a job, then you're expected to act like a boastful arrogant twat to get your foot in the door whether you are actually like that or not.

I would definitely not say I am anywhere near an expert in any musical instrument. I like to think I know how to record a good sounding song, but I have never really been taught the "proper" way to do that either, I have just really learned it all as I go along, and read a few bits of good literature about it here and there.