Why become a member? ×

Oh No!!! I think I've found my perfect set up (what will I do with the rest of my life now?)

gjones

After fitting a J - Retro pre amp to my Jazz and buying an Ashdown ABM 500 III (after not getting on with my TC electronic classic 450). I have the horrible feeling that I've found that 'Perfect' sound that I've been searching for all these years. I should be happy but there's a hint of sadness lurking in the background. I feel a sense of regret that the quest for the holy grail is now over. That I've found what I've been looking for (unlike Bono) and there'll be no more evenings spent lurking on ebay and gumtree looking for that elusive bargain bass/amp and reading review after review on the hunt for the sound I was looking for.

Maybe I should take up a hobby to fill the void?

Flower arranging perhaps?

Great!
Although its the chase that's more addictive than the item itself.....so I hear....?!

I'd now get someone in your house to change your basschat and eBay passwords and get Gumtree filtered on your firewall!

Just as a matter of interest do you use your ABM and neo 15 with your upright?
Just curious as I've got an Ashdown 15 with a neo fitted and I'm so surprised at how tight it sounded with my DB. I usually use 8's or a 12.

Enjoy your new rig,

John

Think I`m in the same situation now. Was always an Ampeg Worshipper, but my current rig of Precision, GK MB500, Shroeder 21012L is the exact sound that I need for my bands.

Still love the Ampeg sound, but the above works better for me.

Let me know how the flower arrangng goes, I may be taking it up myself!

[quote name='Gwilym' timestamp='1327237967' post='1508078']
Indeed. The obvious choice is practice and improve as a musician. ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1327237531' post='1508069']
What's wrong with just concentrating on playing some great music now?
[/quote]

Oh I can't play bass! I just like to look at them :)

Hats off to anyone who gets a tone they like out of an Ashdown ABM ;) . I seem to have tried several in music shops and rehearsal rooms over the years and never got on with any of them. I was particularly interested in Ashdown when they first started as I'd used and liked Trace gear and the company was set up by ex Trace people. Lots of pros use them so I guess I've been unlucky but I haven't found an Ashdown I liked yet. But then plenty of people can't stand Trace stuff so it's horses for courses as usual.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1327319518' post='1509140']
Hats off to anyone who gets a tone they like out of an Ashdown ABM ;) . I seem to have tried several in music shops and rehearsal rooms over the years and never got on with any of them. I was particularly interested in Ashdown when they first started as I'd used and liked Trace gear and the company was set up by ex Trace people. Lots of pros use them so I guess I've been unlucky but I haven't found an Ashdown I liked yet. But then plenty of people can't stand Trace stuff so it's horses for courses as usual.
[/quote]

I love mine. I bought an Epifani at one point and sold it because I preferred the Ashdown for most things. I had the same problem as you in music shops and using loaners for gigs; I thought they were poor. It wasn't until I actually got one myself and realy started fiddling with it that I got some great tones. FWIW I can get a tone that's very similar to my old Traces (yes I love them too) but with a bit more grit.

[/quote]

I'm the same, I've used a LOT of Ashdowns (MAGs and ABMs) in my time and I've never once been happy with the tone I've had.

I'm happy with my setup too, loving the MM into GK thing, both basses and both amps are stunning pieces of kit and they all work together to give me a lovely gritty fat sound.

[/quote]

I think they're great sounding amps - but I guess they have a fairly distinctive tone and take some getting to know.

I'm in the same boat. Warm and hugely growly with a nice bit of crispness...and its versatile.

The only basses I've bought in the last three years are another Spector (which does the same trick) and the Steiny (which was on my bucket list). The only way I can think of improving is to make my own bass and see if I can achieve the same.

[/quote]

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1327323561' post='1509237']
I'm the same, I've used a LOT of Ashdowns (MAGs and ABMs) in my time and I've never once been happy with the tone I've had.

I'm happy with my setup too, loving the MM into GK thing, both basses and both amps are stunning pieces of kit and they all work together to give me a lovely gritty fat sound.
[/quote]

Don't get me started on Ashdown amps. I've owned Peavey, Hartke, Fender, TC Electronic and always find them lacking compared to Ashdowns. I still own a Ashdown EB entry level combo which sounds great and I still use it for smaller gigs. It's the punchy low mid sound of them I really like and it's the sound I hear in my head when I imagine 'my ideal tone'. But of course it's always down to personal preference. And there's many many amps I've never tried.................although I played through a Mesa Boogie stack the other day and that WAS tasty!

Edited by gjones

• 1 month later...

Oh well, you'll all be glad to know I haven't lost the GAS. I played a gig with my ABM 500 and my BC212 and I just couldn't get the volume required (it's a 250w cab after all). So I've put a deposit on a Barefaced compact. Hopefully it will sound fab and that will be that, no more GAS.

Hopefully.......