Why become a member? ×

Amplifiers in the home.

Okay, we all love our basses.whether its 1or more . It's seems that (and I could be wrong) guitarists
Have the amp that goes with the axe.They have valves , tubes etc.
With bass, until recent times , it was like carrying a herd of buffalo to a gig big or small venues.
Then ,as it's a bass amp , more vibration means more chance of repair.(IMHO)

Anyway , after getting fed up with the band situation, I wonder if it's worth keeping my Aguilar set up.
At the moment it's just stuck at the top of the bed. As my brother is a lodger for the unforseeable future,
I'm not sure when it will be displayed properly .shame as its a nice tweed cab.
Am I getting too attracted to the amp, or should I jut plug in to the iPad from now on?
Do you display your amps?

I've got a hartke hydrive, which is quite pretty with its shiny aluminium cones and grille and blue lights. I keep it in the house just to annoy my teenage stepson whose stereo cant compete for bass. Also my two year old daughter loves plugging in my Jazz and twanging away. Couldnt really do either with a plugin tool like IRig

I put my tweed aggies by the TV any chance I get! There's no utility room, garage or shed in our flat so most of the time they live in the spare room, which was recently redecorated and rearranged. Despite much notification the interior designer (the good lady) failed to comprehend that amplifiers and instruments do take up floor space and cases don't tend to go with the rustic cottage motif/ambience. So when we have guests all my kit ends up at work, or by the TV!

My Markbass combo sits in a corner of the living room. it's not on display but it's there ready for me to plug my bass into anytime I want to play & the pedal board is in it's flightcase next to it. So it gets regular use.
And then when it's time to play with the band, it's a simple case of unplugging the mains & pulling the cover over, then pick it up. :D

Depends which rig I am using, I always..of late..have the other one set up in the living room as I tend to play along with the TV set-up or CD's

I have a music room upstairs but can't be arsed running the kit upstairs ..and the downstairs set-up works better anyway.

I have my cab flightcased. It has a table cloth over it and some Bob Dylan coasters on top of it, along with some tea lights. It's used as a mini table for the guests (I live alone incidentally).

Santa is bringing me a 10w Vox practice amp so that may go on display depending on what interest it gets from the cats.

Mines is quite compact GB Streamliner with 2off Berg 1x12" cabs so doesn't take up a huge amount of space and it looks cool sitting in the spare room. Means i can plug and play whenever i want. Basses are also on a rack stand so everything is all to hand.

Very understanding wife allows me to get away with this in the spare room which has grown into a music room with added Roland keyborads and various original hi-fi units like a NAD amp, Sony record deck from 1975 and still going strong.

Dave

Upstairs box room for me - it's 'my' room and the wife doesn't go in there ! There's a single bed in upended behind the door. That leaves plenty of room for my 4 slot guitar stand and with my head/cab next to it. There's also room for a single stand (to have one instrument visible from the hall as I walk past) and an Ikea bar stool to get comfy on.

i have a 60 watt 1 by 12" Alesis combo in the lounge along with a teeny tiny Behringer practice ( guitar) amp for extremely noise sensitive situations. one bass guitar is always out too. I also have an Ibanez RU10 /metronome/drum machine/tuner thingie with a headphone output which is brilliant for keeping one's timing 'hand' in.

The monster rig is tucked away upstairs and to be honest, may never gig again...because when we finally get out there again, I want to go straight into my Peavey Max pre-amp and DI from there to the desk with wireless in-ear monitoring back to me either from the preamp or from the desk..

Edited by guildbass

The 4 x 10 has been plugged in at home once, just because, well, you do, don't you. Just one at least.

My little diddy Carlsbro practice amp is more likely to see service is a plug and play home amp.

I have however used my aH150 along with the two 1x10s I got recently and that's a lovely little home stack, although the amp's a tad wide for the cabs.
Volume wise, with the pre amp set just right, the post gain is useless. On the detented volume knob, 0.5 out of 10 is as high as you can go.

Little point about it all really.

If I'm being honest, if / when the gigging stops, the gigging amps will be gone in a flash.

My amp-cab setup sits in the corner of my office and gets daily use - I would gladly have a small combo too but I already downsized to what I have now... it's there to be used and not for display - like others have said it's a tool to play music not to show off with - my family couldn't care less what my gear looks like :)