Why become a member? ×

Stuff the NME - What are Basschat's Favourite (not best) basslines?

merello

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1320096833' post='1422406']
Massive Attack - Safe From Harm
[/quote]

Great choice, also I'd choose the Massive Attack tune that is my forum name for phattest bass parts of all time.

My favourites:

For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder (James Jamerson)
Something - The Beatles (Macca)
Heed the Warning - Chaka Khan (Anthony Jackson)
Good Love Is On the Way (Live) - John Mayer (Pino Palladino)
Back In the Day - Erykah Badu (Braylon Lacy)
Is It the Way - Jill Scott (Adam Blackstone)
Diamonds On the Soles Of Her Shoes (Bakithi Kumalo)

All basslines (and bass players) I consider really standout and totally brilliant.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1320180538' post='1423524'] Great choice, also I'd choose the Massive Attack tune that is my forum name for phattest bass parts of all time. My favourites: For Once In My Life - Stevie Wonder (James Jamerson) Something - The Beatles (Macca)[b] Heed the Warning - Chaka Khan (Anthony Jackson)[/b] Good Love Is On the Way (Live) - John Mayer (Pino Palladino) Back In the Day - Erykah Badu (Braylon Lacy) Is It the Way - Jill Scott (Adam Blackstone) Diamonds On the Soles Of Her Shoes (Bakithi Kumalo) All basslines (and bass players) I consider really standout and totally brilliant.[/quote]

Here's a seriously good live version of that track which sounds a lot like Pino to my ears. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-ZvLg93ek

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1320183952' post='1423601'] Here's a seriously good live version of that track which sounds a lot like Pino to my ears. :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2-ZvLg93ek[/quote]

I reckon that will be Anthony Jackson still, he stayed on bass duties for a number of years after 'What Cha Gonna Do For Me' the album was recorded. The original bassline on the record is honestly life changing, it literally blew my mind!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1320185374' post='1423625']

I reckon that will be Anthony Jackson still, he stayed on bass duties for a number of years after 'What Cha Gonna Do For Me' the album was recorded. The original bassline on the record is honestly life changing, it literally blew my mind!
[/quote]

Oh yes! Maybe I should have said it was Palladino-esque as I didn't mean I thought it was Pino, just sounded like him, the fills sound like the fast bit at the end of 'Tear Your Playhouse Down' :)

I'm surprised no one's said Hysteria! :)

A couple of my faves to play (off the top of my head) are:

Brown Paper Bag - Roni Size
Army Of Me - Bjork
Ramble On - Led Zeppelin
Sir Duke - Stevie Wonder
Peace Sells - Megadeth
The Waking - Kurt Elling
New Born - Muse
New Years Day - U2

Can't think of any others as I mainly play originals & spend most of my time working on them. Although I'm working on a couple of unusual covers that don't have particularly great to play basslines (Satisfaction - The Stones & Crazy - Gnarles Barkley, but we don't cover songs to sound like the originals).

Edit - Gotta add some U2!

Edited by xgsjx

For once in my life - Stevie Wonder (James Jamerson) is simply the best bass playing I have ever heard.

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye (James Jamerson) is a close second.

Bit of a departure from Motown but Bullet in the Head by RATM (Timmy C) is a great bass line. Simple but does it's job perfectly.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1320309104' post='1425001']
I do love a good 'old school' rock anthem:

Sweet Child O' Mine by, G'n'R

And if anyone thinks it's cheesy and a bit too obvious, well I just don't care. :)
[/quote]

That's it, you stick to your Guns! (n Roses) :)

(I'll get me top hat)

In no particular order:

BB King Thrill Has Gone - makes the track move perfectly
Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick (Surprised this hasn't already cropped up - usually does)
Hazy Shade of Winter - Simon & Garfunkle with Joe Osborn
Son of a Preacher - Dusty Springfield with Tommy Cogbill