Why become a member? ×

Stuff the NME - What are Basschat's Favourite (not best) basslines?

merello

Go on - what do you think in light of the NME list? PIck a favourite bassline of yours and maybe even choose one we might not know but would surprise us! I'm afraid I'm usually Mr Obvious with JJ Burnell, Jaco with Joni, Geddy Lee etc.

Criteria?
Not sure, but how about a bassline you'd like a relative beginner to listen to to open their minds to the possibilities? I always remember learning 'Silly Love Songs' and thinking....'Ah! I don't need to stick in the scales!'

If I had to choose one very groovy bassline that I'd like a newbie to learn, it would be something like 'Soul Man' by Sam n Dave.

Battlestar Scralatchtica or Are You In? - both Incubus
Want You Back - Jackson 5
Boys and Girls - Blur
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Brandy - Originally Looking Glass but I mean the RHCP version even if the basslines are largely the same.

They're just the ones that jump straight out. By no means the most show-offy, complicated, technical, but some of the most fun.

Drove my Mum daft when I first played "My Sharona" .............. for about 2 hours :) , while - in her words - "She held the plates down on the shelves in the kitchen below my room".

Though I'd have to nominate,
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3AE02ac-w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx3AE02ac-w[/url]

even though it follows the vocal - as did Janis Joplins original - though that was on the guitar IIRC - rather than bass.

[quote name='Gilby' timestamp='1320096620' post='1422391']
Pump it up - Elvis Costello and the Attractions
Down in the tube station at midnight - The Jam
[/quote]

Mine too, plus:

It`s Too Bad, Eton Rifles, When You`re Young, Eton Rifles, Town Called Malice, David Watts - The Jam
Nice & Sleazy - The Stranglers
Substitute - The Sex Pistols version
Gangsters, Message to You Rudi - The Specials
Night Boat to Cairo - Madness
Magnificent Seven, Guns of Brixton, Safe European Home - The Clash

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1320147578' post='1422811']
The Specials and Metallica! What catholic tastes you have.

Edit.
[/quote]

Yeh, I do like a bit of variety! :) Was listening to Bach's Violin Concerto on the car radio this morning. Very refreshing for the spirit.
Hope that's not too off topic.. there is some nice double bass in the second movement :)