Why become a member? ×

Best bassline of all time

toneknob

Gotta admit that i do love Hysteria, Chris is a PHENOMENAL player, but there are much better basslines than that, even by Muse. My favourites are:

Muse - Plug In Baby (Awesome root, 5th and octave line)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Dani California
Metallica - Orion and Anesthesia (More of a solo really)
A Whilhelm Scream - The Horse (AWESOME Tapping in the first verse)
Iron Maiden - Run To The Hills
Trivium - Anthem (We Are The Fire), In Waves and Kirisute Gomen (Yes, i like Trivium)
Pokemon Theme Tune

All of these are my opinion of course, and i love playing them all, no matter how much i struggle with some (Kirisute Gomen and The Horse mostly)

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

That U2 bassline.

You know, the one that goes "dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum..."

it's brilliant! :)

MB1. :)
You Sure thats not" Private Investigations by Dire Straits?"

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1320078038' post='1422007']
so nme readers voted a 9-year old song in at no. 1 ?

that displays a surprisingly in-depth knowledge of music for your average nme reader.

:)
[/quote]
As opposed to us lot probably voting for someone who died 24 years ago :)

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1320079795' post='1422036']
Not a bad shout - Delbertnot - you should listen to it, it's good. My choice would definitely be 'I Wish' by Stevie Wonder...........or 'The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines' by Joni Mitchell - live version........or 'Nice n Sleazy' or 'Tom Sawyer' or ....well it depends on my mood I suppose!
[/quote]

I Wish is a good bassline, but I much prefer Masterblaster or Sir Duke.
I'm kinda surprised that there's no Jamiroquai or Led Zeppelin on that list either as most of their songs have got stonking basslines.
I'd even put a U2 song in my top 10 (No, not With Or Without You!).

[quote name='mrdreadful' timestamp='1320067346' post='1421779']
This stuff is entirely subjective anyway, it just represents a coincidental convergance of the opinions of what is probably a very small group.
[/quote]

only takes 30 people for this sort of garbage to be 'legitimised' by lazy hacks :)

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1320081626' post='1422076']
That U2 bassline.

You know, the one that goes "dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum..."

[/quote]
Ha Ha :) :) . A few years ago bassplayer magazine featured a 5 page special on Adam clayton and all that muck about him beeing a fab player. i have not bought bassplayer magazine since then

Shockingly no Les Claypool (Primus)..

Agree with Rush and a Tool track being on there though. Although I would possibly put Vicarious or The Pot up there, if you've never heard much of Tool, check these two out along with 'Wing for Marie Part 2' - that track is just epic - i think I would have to put Justin Chancellor up there with one of my most favourite bass players!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1320081626' post='1422076']That U2 bassline.

it's brilliant! :)[/quote]

I'm probably in the absolute minority here but I happen to think WOWY actually is a fabulous bassline. Why? Because it sets the mood perfectly and supports the song perfectly. If you played anything busier or conversely with more space the song would fall apart (no comments from those who reckon that would be a good thing, or that it already has, please!).

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]I'll agree. Adam Clayton is the perfect bass player for U2. [/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]And I'd also vote for Dust Hill of ZZ Top in the "less is perfect" category.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

Here's 10 of some of my faves, in no order of preference :

Lake - Celebrate
Yes - Roundabout
Melba Moore - Mind Up Tonight
Patrice Rushen - Forget Me Nots
Stevie Wonder - Do I Do
Narada Michael Walden - Tonight I'm Alright
Narada Michael Walden - I Should Have Loved Ya
Brothers Johnson - Stomp
Paul Young - I'm gonna Tear Your playhouse Down
Chic - Everybody Dance

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1320081626' post='1422076']
That U2 bassline.

[/quote]
[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1320085703' post='1422151']
That's just dum.
[/quote]

It's definitely "With or without you". I can tell, you know.