Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

Go to bass bashes, try custom basses. ENJOY trying custom basses.

I'm sure Jon could make you something that you would love (probably the guy I would consider making the closest to stingray type basses).

You know exactly what you like in basses tbh. Tell whoever to base it on a Stingray. You like solid finishes too which would bring the price down usually.

Also Dingwall basses are pretty damn epic.

I would obviously suggest ACG but they're not very Stingray'ish :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1317911657' post='1396121']
Go to bass bashes, try custom basses. ENJOY trying custom basses.

I'm sure Jon could make you something that you would love (probably the guy I would consider making the closest to stingray type basses).

You know exactly what you like in basses tbh. Tell whoever to base it on a Stingray. You like solid finishes too which would bring the price down usually.
[/quote]
Thing is, only MusicMan are going to be able to make MM20 a proper MusicMan. A custom is a custom, whereas a production bass with a particularly rare spec often has that extra....... character? It's disappointing when it doesn't go right but you can always draw some comfort from hearing what most US Fender buyers have to go through to get a good one :)

From what I'm hearing (particularly from the OP) Musicman are going down in attention to detail. Perhaps heading the same way as fender.

However fender are back on there way up so who knows what's going on?!

(and I'm sure somewhere like Wizard would give making one of those pickups or very similar a good try :) )

I would take the refund...and regroup.

Put the money aside for when a stellar bass crops up and then dive in all guns blazing to get it.
Buy SH so as to limit any loses and be prepared to do the research and travel to get what you want.

Be patient. You have enough basses to cover what you need it to. you don't need any decisions now if a bass isn't on the horizon..
Just be ready when one shows.

Driving 2 hrs or so to get that bass is nothing IF it works out..if not its only time and petrol money.

You still have gigging basses.

Custom is a great route, IMV... but it still needs to do what you want it to do.

If it were me..I'd spec a dream Sei... and put the deposit down

4/5 st... RW block and bound whatever colour. String spacing, everything, the whole deal.

If you want to downshift a notch...go Overwater or the like. IMO.

But... you have to visit your luthier in the 1st instance...so a day out is the minimum.

Too right to make a fuss about it - you should definitely expect it to be spot on. But benefit of the doubt - sounds to me like its just bad luck. Sometimes these things just slip through the net - same with anything really. It doesn't mean that the whole production process is going to pot, or it wasn't the right choice of bass. The main thing is whether they can and will sort it out quickly - and without any hassle. Hope it works out!

Not wanting to point the blooming obvious, Gareth, regardless of the reaction you might get in the EBMM forum, I feel you should really need to let Sterling Ball know that somewhere along the line Strings & Things send you a moody bass.

By telling us all here yes will get you a lot of support because a.) you're british, b.) we like you as one of our own and c.) we feel your pain. but all of the above is pointless because you are barking up the wrong tree and all our support won't get your bass sorted.

For once go directly to Sterling Ball, he says he doesn't like pm's then send one to Aziah and ask her to present it to his attention appreciating that you are addressing him alone and not wanting to make a big scene in public in his forum which is one of the things he detests, if he has any decency he would get his wheels in motion and by next week Strings and Things will be begging at your door with a new bass. That is if you do it this way and not go to the forum and say [b]"Outrage!! I have been sold a 3 legged donky!"[/b]

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1317911657' post='1396121']
[/quote]

Who is this Jon and what is his website? Is he a basschatter?

Hope you get your bass sorted out Gareth.

Sorry to see you got another duffer, Gareth. As already said, I'd take the refund and chill out for a while, based on what I've just read. Perhaps new EBMM aren't quite what they used to be. There are plenty of great basses out there for that kind of money but, instead of going custom, perhaps you'd be better off finding one which meets the standard you're looking for and buy off the shelf. Maybe a day out in one of the better bass shops over there?

Anyway, hope you find the right bass.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1317927222' post='1396433']
Not wanting to point the blooming obvious, Gareth, regardless of the reaction you might get in the EBMM forum, I feel you should really need to let Sterling Ball know that somewhere along the line Strings & Things send you a moody bass.

By telling us all here yes will get you a lot of support because a.) you're british, b.) we like you as one of our own and c.) we feel your pain. but all of the above is pointless because you are barking up the wrong tree and all our support won't get your bass sorted.

For once go directly to Sterling Ball, he says he doesn't like pm's then send one to Aziah and ask her to present it to his attention appreciating that you are addressing him alone and not wanting to make a big scene in public in his forum which is one of the things he detests, if he has any decency he would get his wheels in motion and by next week Strings and Things will be begging at your door with a new bass. That is if you do it this way and not go to the forum and say [b]"Outrage!! I have been sold a 3 legged donky!"[/b]
[/quote]

Brilliant brilliant advice.
Do what he said :)

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1317928262' post='1396447']

Hope you get your bass sorted out Gareth.
[/quote]

Jon Shuker ( www.shukerguitars.co.uk )
Very very talented and experienced luthier.

Eude

Oh, and I reckon you could probably get the MM sound, or close enough with 3rd party bits these days.
Nordstrand or Delano make very good replacement MM pickups and John East makes MM style preamps.
Most luthiers would be happy to work with those components...

Eude

I've had a similar bad experience when buying new....

Ordered a bass, had a massive wait, and then recieved a bass which I easily found over 20 faults on....That cost just over £1k.

In this day and age, it is completely unacceptable to have even minor faults on an instrument that costs over £1K. We live in a modern world of CAD, CNC, etc, so there is no excuse for this from a major manufacturer.

I've given up looking for decent quality basses from the major american players, and now mainly look at the second hand market, where there can be some serious bargains to be had. I got a really good deal on my Alembic compared to what the build cost would have been new, and the thing just oozes quality, and attention to detail in every aspect of its build. It even has tiny brass threaded inserts for the screws that the electrics cover on,

Was also well impressed by one of Jon Shuker's top end basses that I had a go on in recent times.

In all fairness, the Stingray I had was a beauty though

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1317931958' post='1396492']
Oh, and I reckon you could probably get the MM sound, or close enough with 3rd party bits these days.
Nordstrand or Delano make very good replacement MM pickups and John East makes MM style preamps.
Most luthiers would be happy to work with those components...

Eude
[/quote]
I have a wee stash of genuine MM pups. :)

Holy crap! I'd do worse than you - i'd be going insane at anyone and everyone who would listen. A refund wouldnt be enough for a cockup of that magnitude IMO.
I agree with the statements regarding getting a custom instrument. For me, theres a bit of excitement about having a bass that no one else owns.
Can't wait for mine to arrive! :)

If its all built by a decent luthier then you'll get a brilliant bass to your exact specs (even if those specs are based on a HH 'ray! - Mines is based on a 70s jazz...and a stingray) - Just remember that S+T have done a terrible job - which i would spread like a plague to everyone.

Sucks that you've had to go through all this. Hope you get everything sorted one way or the other :)

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1317928262' post='1396447']

Hope you get your bass sorted out Gareth.[/quote]

Jon shuker. The man, the myth, the legend, the luthier :)

I can't remember his website off the top of my head as I'm on my mobile

Gareth, I think you have have trusted too much again.

I am now a firm believer in ALWAYS trying an instrument before buying it. I got very very lucky with my new Warwick, it's perfect. But Dom was very accommodating when he brought it over (from Newcastle!) that if I didn't get on with it I didn't have to buy it.

I also chose a perfect Strat from a bunch and I'm over the moon with it. It is also perfect, you know what Fender can be like. There are also so many little variables that you HAVE to play an instrument to know if you love it or not. 'Identical' instruments can feel very different, and set up differently depending on a number of variables.

If a bass comes up that you CAN try first, with the right colour, matching headstock, right spec, etc. but it doesn't FEEL quite right, you also need the strength to walk away, knowing that you may not find another for ages.

I'm incredibly lucky. S/H fretted Warwicks with ebony boards (I can't stand wenge) are rare, I had one before and stupidly sold it. My new one not only has the spec I'm totally happy with and looks incredible, it FEELS incredible! With an amazingly low buzz-free action, and glorious balance and weight, and that indefinable magic where everything feels right. Like you, I've been on a hell of a journey, but this bass found me. I have absolutely no doubts about this bass, I adore it.

I'm sorry you've had such a crap time with S&T and EBMM. But get your full refund, and go and try a load of basses. Do NOT commission another, I think that would be a great mistake mate.

Go and TRY some basses!

Edited by silddx