Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

No...and considering I have 4 EBMMs upstairs that are PERFECT when it comes to fit/finish etc, and some of them cost less, I just cant accept it....it would be almost 'lazy' of me to accept it because they shouldn't be like this.

I have fired off emails, willing to negotiate if they can get me another quick (im quite happy with non-matching headstock if it means I get a load of cash back) but if it starts getting difficult, ill ask for the full amount back. After all, its about 3 months late anyway.

Even though im a stickler for quality and fit/finish, Ive been more than patient...and considering my Sue Ryder had a perfect neck pocket, so should this!

Note the picture below...it looks much worse in real life. The other thing is there are small 'touch up' areas near it where the paint isnt so great. Weird.

Some might say 'leave it be', but its too expensive.

Edited by Musicman20

I really feel for you, there are no excuses for that kind of finish at that price. Actually at any price point that is not acceptable, I have recently aquired a CV Precision and the execution of finish and neck pockets ect is flawless. Sadly I cannot say the same of various mass produced American made basses costing four times as much. My Stingray V is very good but I have seen some shockers.
I hope you get it resolved, sounded like a belter of a bass too, lovely colour choice.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1317820397' post='1394935']
I really feel for you, there are no excuses for that kind of finish at that price. Actually at any price point that is not acceptable, I have recently aquired a CV Precision and the execution of finish and neck pockets ect is flawless. Sadly I cannot say the same of various mass produced American made basses costing four times as much. My Stingray V is very good but I have seen some shockers.
I hope you get it resolved, sounded like a belter of a bass too, lovely colour choice.
[/quote]

Im the same. I tried 3 MIA jazz basses, a MIM 70's classic and a HW-one Jazz last year and all had issues that my CV Jazz didnt. Not big issues, but at three times the price i found it unacceptable on the MIA's.

Thanks for the understanding guys. Appreciated! Ive noticed an area where the paint isnt at all great as mentioned above, but in the light it looks really bad...Ive never seen a EBMM with bad paint, ever...its always super slick. The neck could have took a jolt coming from America which may have damaged the paint....but more than likely its been like that since it was made.

Darren @ BM is onto it now...although I have no further orders with him, Im pretty certain he will resolve it asap with whatever I want. Just got an email back saying he is speaking to S&T UK right now.

It's really put me off getting new gear...Ive had such a bad year for having to ask for replacements. I almost tried to force myself to accept this, but as you can see, its visible every time I go near it.

I was currently looking at ordering a Bongo or 2EQ Ray as well, so if they look after me and sort this out FAST, and sort me a lower price on one of the two Im looking at, this might get resolved with few issues. I definitely want one of these HH basses though...despite this.

We shall see.

Even more angry now. I noticed the serial/barcode and battery looked like they weren't new. The barcode is all faded, the serial points to 8/5/2010, (howwwww?) and the battery is almost expired.

Me thinks they have used an old body/neck, sent it back and had the extra H added.

Very very odd. Double checked the serial, DOB is as above, I didn't even order it til March 2011 and it's taken 7 months...

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1317836090' post='1395228']
Even more angry now. I noticed the serial/barcode and battery looked like they weren't new. The barcode is all faded, the serial points to 8/5/2010, (howwwww?) and the battery is almost expired.

Me thinks they have used an old body/neck, sent it back and had the extra H added.

Very very odd. Double checked the serial, DOB is as above, I didn't even order it til March 2011 and it's taken 7 months...
[/quote]

Now that is really really bad. The funny thing is (although not funny for you) is of all the people on this forum, it could only ever happen to you. Your bad luck with new basses is shocking and becoming less surprising. I would kick up a real stink about this and that really is taking the mick.

Cheers all! You'd think after all this I would quit buying for a few years, but I always give a chance...yet again. Heck...this time though, I really am quite gutted. Such a long wait.

OK, after finding out the serial, there are two things that strike me.

1. If it WAS made in 2010 (and they are quite on the ball with their serial numbers), WHY didn't I get it within a month or so?!

2. EBMM don't actually 'stock' many basses as they are bought immediately, especially with the upgrades. They have a massive waiting list, which is fine, but something isnt right here.

My guess? At some point either an old bass has had an extra H put in, OR, more likely, due to the neck pocket, an old body that was in stock in the UK has been married with a new neck...again, Ive no idea, just guessing.

After 7 months and £1500, I think Ive been more than patient. Im not necessarily pointing the finger at anyone, because I've no idea what has happened.

More news tomorrow probably. Going to have to wait in again (luckily I have Weds off work) but it means having a bass I cant use (because its going back 100%) sat in my front room boxed up.

You have had me double checking mine now Gareth, No use to you but my neck pocket is tighter than the preverbial nuns chuff! I have looked it all over and the only slight imperfection is on the very edge of the pocket I can see where they have over polished the spakle finish, its microscopic though! The rest is perfect,I cant see any body joints (I presume its in 2 or 3 bits?) cant see any wood grain or finish sinking or sagging. I have found a tiny ding on the headstock that I have done probably bumping into a guitar headstock on stage I reckon.

The age of it is the worst thing, bizarre that you have waited 7 months for a bass not made much after mine (Feb 10) that I first gigged in Dec 2010 and it was the centre piece of the PMT Birminghams EBMM wall for quite a while too!

I know you like to buy brand new and you have been over it before for us but for me a shop with a few colour choices where I can try them all and take the best one home is fine by me, even my Genz head was on display at BassDirect albeit only for a day or so but Id rather a few people had tried it with Mark's supervision than get a fresh one home and unwrap it only to find its damaged or faulty.

On the other hand as a Stingray nut its about time I ordered a one off just for me (Classic5) but all this puts me off again, and there is one already in the colours I would order at BassDirect, Hhmmmmmm :)

Fingers crossed this gets sorted out quick for you :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1317843729' post='1395391']
I wonder what pearls of wisdom Big Poppa would have about it over on the Forum?
[/quote]

Probably get banned, accused of lying, ear marked as a terrorist, refused entry into the US of A and then throw the worst insult they can at you which is call you a Fender fanboy :)

I reckon that's enough to not bother with them anymore dude.
You've got some great MM basses there, so I'd get a full refund and get yourself one of these >>
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/basses/JB/index.asp
You know you want to, would compliment your collection nicely...

P.S: If they'd have done this to me I'd be getting banned from the Ernie's Balls forum right now for telling everyone about it too.
P.S.S: G&L need a new website, that one is sh*te!

Just my 2p,
Ewan

Gareth, after the way the buzzing preamp was handled i would do as Ewan suggested and give up for now. I cant see you getting satisfaction without a lot more hassle and i think you have had more than your fair share of that.
Save yourself a bit of money and maybe look for second hand on here, at least these are tried and tested.

The neck pocket gap is slightly worse than my CVP (when it was stock), I know it wont affect playability or tone but your right to expect it to be spot on.

I'd give them one more chance albeit with some serious caveats:

NEW bass in the style that you request in less that 3 months
Discount on this or next purchase
Letter of apology

Otherwise go to a luthier and get them to make you something exactly to your spec.

It continues. I have just realised when i received the bass in its box, (factory EBMM box with barcodes etc) it DIDN'T say w/matching headstock. I was thinking 'I hope they actually DID it'....never did I think it would now lead to this mystery.

So, the description says w/o matching headstock on the box (in TWO places). The serial number is on the box TWICE, and obviously stamped into the neck plate on the box. The box also says, in TWO places, that the bass was finished/packed/sent from the USA on 08/05/10.

So why do I have a bass that HAS a matching headstock, that took SEVEN months to arrive, that was built and sent on 08/05/10. That, to me, means they added a neck from another bass to this bass, and THAT'S why the neck pocket is so poor, and there are marks near the neck pocket. I've also noticed lots of what appears to be sawdust on the other side of the neck pocket, trapped between the neck and the body.

How anyone would think I wouldn't notice is beyond me. I am thoroughly disappointed. At almost £1500, and paying the extra to re-order a HH to my spec and WAITING SEVEN MONTHS, I am at the end of my patience.

Thanks all for the advice. If I don't get a reasonable outcome today, I will be requesting a full refund and for the bass to be picked up asap.

I think from speaking to the BM, they are as annoyed as I am about the whole issue.

After spending a fortune with EBMM (well, Strings & Things UK) Im a little miffed.

I am considering a formal complaint. I don't want to fall out with anyone over it, but I don't even know if the EBMM factory/customer service are aware of what has happened.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1317890518' post='1395737']
It continues. I have just realised when i received the bass in its box, (factory EBMM box with barcodes etc) it DIDN'T say w/matching headstock. I was thinking 'I hope they actually DID it'....never did I think it would now lead to this mystery.

So, the description says w/o matching headstock on the box (in TWO places). The serial number is on the box TWICE, and obviously stamped into the neck plate on the box. The box also says, in TWO places, that the bass was finished/packed/sent from the USA on 08/05/10.

So why do I have a bass that HAS a matching headstock, that took SEVEN months to arrive, that was built and sent on 08/05/10. That, to me, means they added a neck from another bass to this bass, and THAT'S why the neck pocket is so poor, and there are marks near the neck pocket. I've also noticed lots of what appears to be sawdust on the other side of the neck pocket, trapped between the neck and the body.[/quote]

I think you've nailed it there, can't think of another scenario that's more likely anyway. Is the box marked up as "white"?? I'm just thinking that the delay could have been caused by a respray, and taking back the old finish - IF that was the case - could explain the pocket gap.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1317892140' post='1395752'].

But I think it's a credit to yourself after all the cock ups you can remain so calm. I don't know if I could !!!
[/quote]

Nor me. If i was in this situation i wouldn't even be waiting for an answer (as i wouldn't know if it was the truth anyway), i would just send it back, get a refund and try something else.

I'd forget about buying blind .... too much hassle and stress and waiting time.

I'd take the money and look out for a cash SH deal here that wouldn't lose much money if it didn't work out after a few months.
I'd check out the Sadowsky 5 in vintage type spec on here and look to have to spend a day travelling getting what you want...for example

It is the only way...go and look over the thing in situ and decide if it is everything you want.

Sorry it didn't work out, but this has been nigh on a year getting these basses and it isn't working..so I wouldn't be looking at them again

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1317816212' post='1394845']
Well, its not that great a day to be honest. Im really angry and disappointed with what has happened. I am now contacting the Bass Merchant/Strings & Things for a return (7 days policy) because this is not what I expect. I'll post more once they respond.

Its been far too long a wait to accept something that I'm not happy with.
[/quote]

[b][font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=8]W.T.F.??[/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=comic sans ms,cursive][size=8][size=5]what's wrong with it?[/size][/size][/font][/b]