Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1318247098' post='1399577']
I'm not concerned with folks being picky about unrelated products, it's an Ernie's Balls Forum after all, I think it's awful that someone can't share a negative experience with a product and have it discussed rationally without being attacked...
[/quote]

Sure.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318246922' post='1399575']

Blocking owners posting about issues is not really on IMO. The best place to ask for help with a certain product should surely be the manufacturers own forums.
[/quote]

It depends on the issue. When the issue is one of whether Thomastik Infeld flats are better than La Bellas on an Ernie Ball instrument, I think it's fair for them to ask people to take it elsewhere.

I've always had a fairly easy time on there... albeit fruitless.
The only times I've been on there was to ask question that apparently were too "involved" for forum member who seem more preoccupied with how the range of basses look and how great it is to own one/some than anything technical regarding them.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1318252076' post='1399678']

It depends on the issue. When the issue is one of whether Thomastik Infeld flats are better than La Bellas on an Ernie Ball instrument, I think it's fair for them to ask people to take it elsewhere.
[/quote]

Why, Its connected with their basses so why not talk about it? This is whats so confusing. I can understand if people were bashing their basses, or asking questions that dont have any relevance to EBMM gear but to ask what goes better, or what other people think sounds better with their basses seems a pretty normal question to me.
I think this just proves my point.

If Gareth was to post any concerns over this on there we all know what would happen.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318254609' post='1399704']
Why, Its connected with their basses so why not talk about it? This is whats so confusing.
[/quote]

Because it's a house forum that was set up as an exercise in online marketing. It's there to promote their own products, one of which is Ernie Ball strings.

It's not that difficult a concept:

http://www.copyblogger.com/building-your-fan-club/

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1318255843' post='1399733']

Because it's a house forum that was set up as an exercise in online marketing. It's there to promote their own products, one of which is Ernie Ball strings.

It's not that difficult a concept:

[url="http://www.copyblogger.com/building-your-fan-club/"]http://www.copyblogg...-your-fan-club/[/url]
[/quote]

Well then that rules out anyone posting anything negative doesn't it? Which is what was said in the first place, even though its the place to "Chat about Music Man Basses". Apparently only if you have good things to say.
I'll say no more on this, i have my opinions and experience.

I'd still love to own one someday.

I agree with them not wanting people to promote or discuss other brands... But the issue with talking about problems is ridiculous. It'd make sense for them to stop people coming on just to say that their basses and guitars are a load of w***, but that's about it. Surely it'd look better for them on the whole if people could openly discuss and help eachother with any tech issues they may have, especially if employees of EBMM could jump in and offer advice, help out, whatever. Showing existing/potential customers that you are committed to good customer service when a problem arises is surely more beneficial to pretending there never are any problems?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318234188' post='1399372']
I'd be wanting interest on any money paid in advance too.

Just out of interest how much did you have to pay up front and how much on delivery for this bass?
[/quote]

This! You've lost a year's worth of interest on that deposit. I think, at the very least, some form of notional recompense would be warranted given the nature of the problem.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1318258082' post='1399758']
I agree with them not wanting people to promote or discuss other brands... But the issue with talking about problems is ridiculous. It'd make sense for them to stop people coming on just to say that their basses and guitars are a load of w***, but that's about it. Surely it'd look better for them on the whole if people could openly discuss and help eachother with any tech issues they may have, especially if employees of EBMM could jump in and offer advice, help out, whatever. Showing existing/potential customers that you are committed to good customer service when a problem arises is surely more beneficial to pretending there never are any problems?
[/quote]

Trouble is not everyone thinks the same, level headed, young, niave, or whatever to have the ability to post sensibly.

You would really need to go in with a very thoughful post about any issues you were having so as to not offend anyone. A few years ago I was the kind of person to go straight in with all guns blazing but a few years more life experience and I'm a bit mellower these days.

on a forum like this you can tell it the way it is as long as you're not doing it just to offend someone on here and from time to time reps from some manufacturers come in a give their opinion and help to the situation as its not [i][b]their[/b][/i] forum.

The EBMM one is merely a fan club for EBMM fanboys and people looking for advice about what bass to buy or when theirs was made etc. Problems, issues or whatever belong on a more general forum like here or Talkbs but only after you have discussed them with the manufacturer/distributor/store/individual

Regarding the old body-new neck issue; when I bought my EBMM Sterling (about 11 years ago) I ordered it in electric blue with a rosewood board. The distributor didn't have a blue Sterling, but said that there was one on a shipment in transit from the States that they would put aside for me. They said they didn't know if the bass in transit had a maple or rosewood board but they had rosewood board necks in the UK wharehouse and could easily swap the necks over when the bass arrived in the UK.
So it would appear that swapping bodies and necks around to fill a specific order isn't unusual, but it doesn't excuse the porr workmanship or ridiculous delivery delay. The neck fit on my Sterling is perfect and it took 7 weeks of an estimated 8 weeks to arrive.

Hope you get the bass you want soon.

Dave

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1318246922' post='1399575']

Blocking owners posting about issues is not really on IMO. The best place to ask for help with a certain product should surely be the manufacturers own forums.
[/quote]

It is incredibly poor. Can you imagine the furore that would arise if you rang your bank with a query and they hung the phone up on you? Or if you wrote to your local council and your letter ended up in a shredder before it was read? Actually, forget the last one there, I think that already happens.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1318325112' post='1400447']

It is incredibly poor. Can you imagine the furore that would arise if you rang your bank with a query and they hung the phone up on you? Or if you wrote to your local council and your letter ended up in a shredder before it was read? Actually, forget the last one there, I think that already happens.
[/quote]

Poor analogy. EBMM actually have a stellar customer services department.

Don't confuse the EBMM forum with customer services. It's essentially a fan club that is hosted by EBMM. If you post there about a problem with your instrument, you will be referred to customer services.

In the UK, however, it is not EBMM that we deal with. It's Strings and Things, their UK distributor, and whatever retailer we bought the thing from.

Im not on the EBMM forum and not really a fanboi (I dont think?) but I can see their view on some of the stuff people say about them, I like classic cars so if I went to a classic car forum I'd expect to be able to talk about all makes and models etc but if I logged on to the Ford owners club website and started telling them why Morris Minors in my opinion were better in one way or another over and over I would expect them to tell me where to go.

If you want to talk about basses openly and point out the negatives/positives of all brands then BassChat is here for you :)

You cry like a girl !!

Ebmm don't make duff basses everybody know that !!

But yeah follow grand wazoo's advice he is never wrong.... Well there was that one time
With a sheep, no wait he was right no amount of soap ever got me clean again !

Buy a dingwall, or buy my 25th HSS so I can buy a dingwall ;-)

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1318373976' post='1401463']
You cry like a girl !!

Ebmm don't make duff basses everybody know that !!

But yeah follow grand wazoo's advice he is never wrong.... Well there was that one time
With a sheep, no wait he was right no amount of soap ever got me clean again !

Buy a dingwall, or buy my 25th HSS so I can buy a dingwall ;-)
[/quote]

what the feck? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1318348540' post='1400972']
Oh but dont imply Rics are uncomfortable on here or you will get toasted :)
[/quote]
They are, and I've owned several! And they keep fkn around with the shape, which really annoys me (viz: V63/CS/4003) And John Hall and one Paul Wilczinski like to get their knickers knotted from time to time.