Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

My bongo was second hand when I got it and the neck had gone very shiny but it diddnt bother me.

However it had 2 chips one just behind the 5 fret ( I tend to spend most of my time there) and it was really annoying so I sanded it down and waxed it. To me it was amazing after that but as I said had it not been chipped I would have left it as it was.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319034843' post='1409149']
I always wonder why people have reservations over painted necks but don't have any problems over clear coated necks. Fair enough if an oiled finish is your thing but painted ones (which probably have the same clear coat over the top anyway) always seem to have negative press implied toward them for no tangible reason other than you can see them. :)[/quote]
I found that my hand dragged on the shiny area of my SUB before I stripped it, before that it was all good. However, this might just be me as I also get the same problem with nitro necks (unless they're really old and thoroughly dry) I had to strip my old Roadworn too. I certainly like the look of the way that Bongos are the same colour from tip to toe. I'm particularly fond of the orange colour option.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319210544' post='1411402']
Tomorrow should hopefully bring a positive end to this thread.

Ive just been informed that my new HH Ray (non-matching this time) and Bongo 5 HH are due to arrive with me tomorrow.

Thankfully, S&T have put them on Saturday delivery.

Im REALLY hoping this is the end of it.
[/quote]

2 for the price of 1?!.... :)

Glad this is getting sorted. :)
Bongo is an interesting choice though, I tried one once, and ..... it wasn't for me. Really didn't like the preamp, but there you go, that's just me. If someone took all my basses off me and I only had a bongo i would still have a bloody good bass, and il'd just get on an play the thing. It will be interesting how you compare it to the ray.

It's also interesting to read the whole dingwall/musicman thing that was going on. I think maybe there is an overlooking of the fact that we all play different music and in different ways. Me playing bass will sound like me whatever I play.
I have some preferences to suit my style but thats it.
I put up some clips ages back of me playing various basses I had, and the previous owner of the JV P bass remarked it hadn't sounded like that when he had it (i.e. it sounded better) now that's not because I'm a better player, just different and it suits me. The warwick I have is very different and while being amazing and I love playing it it doesn't feel so natually me as the JV. I have a T40 in bits I need to stick together- I have a feeling either I will love it- or it will be just another bass. doesn't mean someone else could have it and never want to buy a bass again.
But we're all different- otherwise someone wouldn't have sold the JV for me to have.
Dingwalls may be amazing- as may Musicmans, but they are different and one is better than the other is just a personal thing (and my JV is better than them all :) )

Good luck with this one Gareth.

Interesting to hear all that about the Dingwalls. I am definately not a 5 string person. But still would love to try a Dingwall out, so I will be keeping my eyes out for one at the bass day in Manchester next month. (never heard of the novax system, I must admit)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1318976006' post='1408608']Thanks to the extra scale length all strings have an even tension from the G string to the low B[/quote]Scale length does not dictate tension, that is down to the mass of the string at a particular length. Even tension is possible on any neck. Also higher tension equals less fundamental and more overtones. That's why it can sound so clear on the B because the frequencies are more focused on the more audible range of hearing. Short scale basses sound tubby because they are more dominant in the fundamental and lower overtones.

I suspect if anyone finds a good EBMM unusable, it says more about them than it does the guitar. In all fairness though, it's a good thing when companies come along and try to be innovative - certainly beats the crap out of wading through hundreds of fender clones - but the vast majority of great bass players and bass lines were around long before the 'fanned fret' system. To me it's an interesting alternative rather than an improvement.

As for the OP, really disappointing to hear EBMM have let a duffer slip through the net. Always a risk buying unseen, but you expect top notch build quality to be a given with them. Hope you get sorted out and they make some sort of an effort to make up for it.

Totally inexcusable now.

With the amount of messing around they've inflicted upon you if there was a problem with the van they should have made alternative arrangements, even if it meant the MD putting the basses in his car and personally driving them up to you. At the very least they should have let you know there was a problem yesterday.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319278079' post='1412107']Fuming!

Got up early to listen for courier...

Sat in front room waiting at the moment.

Basses weren't picked up from S&T due to van problems.

I wish I hadnt bothered. Next day I'm available is Weds. I know it's only 5 days but I've had enough.[/quote]
Dude what did I say about counting your chickens? It's a sure way of setting yourself up for disappointment.
Just accept that these things are outwith your control and sh*t happens. Put it to the back of your mind until you get a knock at the door. :)

I must admit I didn't think it would happen today. It sounded all to easy.

I can tottaly understand your feelings Gareth. This can't keep happening, and you haven't even seen the new basses yet.

I personally think you are just getting messed about and I would call thier bluff and cancel the lot.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319278857' post='1412119']
Totally inexcusable now.

With the amount of messing around they've inflicted upon you if there was a problem with the van they should have made alternative arrangements, even if it meant the MD putting the basses in his car and personally driving them up to you. At the very least they should have let you know there was a problem yesterday.
[/quote]

I have to agree with Red. If' [i]the van broke down'[/i] (ie the driver never turned up this morning as he is in bed with a hangover) Then, someone personally driving them over to you is the [u]very least[/u] they could do. The level of customer service you are receiving for the money you spent is ridiculous.

For instance, I used to give better customer service than that when I was selling rare Sherlock Holmes articles on ebay and the like. If it was a disc that was going abroad, I would often put in a spare disc, just in case there was anything wrong with the first one. Or i would accept cash even though i might lose out a little when changing it, or send someone a dvd before the cheque had cleared, etc etc. I found that people were usually extremely greatful for me going the extra mile, and oftten became regular customers, or would reccomend me to friends etc. All that, and my average transaction price was maybe £30. A lot less than the average transaction price at S & T or EBBM.

I hope that this is picked up by people who might be considering going with S&T (or EBBM for that matter) It seems that try before you buy is the future maxim. Even if that means a car journey.

I would have thought that the basses would be coming by courier, in which case they would've had to be collected yesterday afternoon at the latest for delivery today........

S&T might have their own vans now, but they didn't a few years ago when I was working in a music shop. I suppose they might have hired a local "Man with Van" but still....

Like others have said, if they were serious about appeasing you by delivering today, they should have sent ANYONE to deliver, which I'm sure would have been entirely possible.

If they're BSing you again, it really is appalling.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that both The Bass Merchant and Strings & Things are talking a cut of the £1500 you've paid? What exactly have they been doing to earn that cut other than to originally take your order? Since S&T seem to not give a sh*t, maybe it's time for The Bass Merchant to do their part. I'm sure they have numbers for S&T personnel that can be contacted at the weekend. It's now time for them to firmly and insistently put on the pressure to ensure that your instruments arrive today whatever it takes from S&T.

Of course even if you do get your money back someone along line will have been earning interest over the 8 months (now?) that it's taken.

I'd like to know how involved the BM are in this, especially as the original order was place with them.
In my experience that's the first, and should be the only point of contact, if nothing else to keep things simple.
I dont know if Gareth is dealing with S&T directly or through BM so it's hard to get a clear picture of who is messing him about.

The issue with the van could mean it broke down, no driver (surely they would have a stand by) but I'm reading it as maybe it wasnt actually arranged properly. To me this makes more sence than to assume a van is off the road, I would assume there would be other orders on board so I doubt S&T would want to let multiple customers down.

Just my thoughts while I'm sitting on the bog bored.