Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1319543436' post='1415417']
... This is increasingly reminding me of a situation a few years back. A bass dealer who was highly prolific on bass forums (and hence well-known) was given a dealership just as EBMM were announcing one of their limited edition runs. Dozens of basses were ordered through him the moment the order window was opened, and everyone started the usual waiting game.

Fast forward a few months and the limited editions started pouring out... except to the people who had ordered from this guy. Weeks and weeks passed with anger being directed at EBMM until it eventually came out that the dealer hadn't actually paid EBMM for the orders he'd placed. He had gotten into financial difficulties and ultimately couldn't juggle the money long enough ...
[/quote]
In that case it wasn't only EBMM instruments, it was also some Laklands. Although seven (IIRC) of us had ordered Laklands, our deposits had not been passed on to Lakland nor the order placed. However, we were credited with our deposits by Lakland and supplied with our basses. Lakland then, I believe, chased the dealer concerned for the missing money. That's customer service.

I dont have any problem with being a sucker for certain brands, If they work for you and you know the one is out there its worth the effort IMO. Maybe that makes me a fanboi who knows but I know I have cupboard full of nice MM basses all with no issues. Hopefully you will get a couple of stunners in the end and in the not too distant future :)

My moms last 4 cars have all been Alfa Romeos, All of them rubbish, but she loves them! You either get it or you dont.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1319557929' post='1415772']
In that case it wasn't only EBMM instruments, it was also some Laklands. Although seven (IIRC) of us had ordered Laklands, our deposits had not been passed on to Lakland nor the order placed. However, we were credited with our deposits by Lakland and supplied with our basses. Lakland then, I believe, chased the dealer concerned for the missing money. That's customer service.
[/quote]

Didn't that come later, after Dan Lakin had publically defended said dealer, then had his hand bitten?

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1319563447' post='1415866']

Didn't that come later, after Dan Lakin had publically defended said dealer, then had his hand bitten?
[/quote]
Yes, it was at the tail end of the EBMM stuff and I think you're correct that Dan Lakin had defended said dealer. The end result for the seven of us was good though because we lost nothing because Lakland acted towards us as if they had received our deposits when it certainly appeared that they had not received them.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319556940' post='1415753']
Thing are looking up. I contacted EBMM again directly and stated how much I want to stay a customer in future, and told them about the recent problems, and the fact I felt so frustrated.

In all honesty, I would still like a Sadowsky later, but I still want to finish off my Musicman collection. No doubt about it, they are part of 'my tone', simple as that.As I mentioned at the beginning, I have owned many Musicman basses, and I have 4 here at the moment, everyone of them amazingly well built...probably matching even a boutique builder.

S&T have emailed me directly as they have received the HH Matching Headstock back and seem to have quite happily accepted it is not right, and are dealing with the BM on that, (obviously they owe them now for the fact its not up to standard, which in turn I get back).

I don't want to drag any names into the mud. Its such a difficult financial situation for most companies at the moment...all I want are the basses I ordered, as good as they normally are.

S&T are now trying to sort something out for me because of all of this, not sure what is going to happen yet...but Im hoping it is ALL positive.

I am not that patient at the moment, that is true, but im hoping I have been fairly pleasant and honest throughout the whole matter. I am quite happy if this takes a total switch in the other direction and I get the basses I want and everyone is happy. It doesn't appear apparent throughout this, but I don't really like causing conflict or problems.
[/quote]
I think before you agree to any but a full refund plus interest, you should get a definite timeline for EBMM/S&M/BM to sort this problem 100% to your satisfaction, with definite penalties to them if they fail to meet the agreed deadlines. The least you can ask. If they can't do this them take the money and walk away otherwise I have a feeling that you'll get strung along for several more months with nothing but aggravation to show for it.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1319566185' post='1415912']
I think before you agree to any but a full refund plus interest, you should get a definite timeline for EBMM/S&M/BM to sort this problem 100% to your satisfaction, with definite penalties to them if they fail to meet the agreed deadlines. The least you can ask. If they can't do this them take the money and walk away otherwise I have a feeling that you'll get strung along for several more months with nothing but aggravation to show for it.
[/quote]

+1 to this

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319556940' post='1415753']
I don't want to drag any names into the mud. [/quote]

Think almost everyone else already has! :)

Sorry to hear all the trouble you had with this,but i'm confused ,or maybe i missed something.
You bought the bass from bass merchant (?) so surely strings and things (and ebmm)aren't actually [b]obliged[/b] to deal with you ?
Surely your only "contract" (or whatever the term is as a consumer),is with the bass merchant alone ?
Or have i got it wrong .
Hope you get the problems sorted looks like you're close to that now.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1319579349' post='1416133']

that is....

Sterling Ball

[/quote]

Oh right,never saw him before!!!
To be honest can't see the point of your post other than to wind up the op?
Is it not dodgy legally ,the claim you're making with the Sterling Ball drinking thing too?

[quote name='walplayer' timestamp='1319583420' post='1416167']

Oh right,never saw him before!!!
To be honest can't see the point of your post other than to wind up the op?
Is it not dodgy legally ,the claim you're making with the Sterling Ball drinking thing too?
[/quote]

not in the content of humour, I have no idea if he drinks or not, whoever made that caricature depicted him drinking... hence my humour.

Hopefully you get the bass you want in good condition

If you haddnt of went to ebmm with this then they wouldn't know that s&t
Are swapping necks on basses to fill orders. Well they prob know alright but choose
To ignore it.

15000 views is alot of publicity and it's a shame nobody is coming out as a hero for
Stepping up and making this right for you. You have been waiting far too long
Either money or basses by he end of week is the only real answer.

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1319602256' post='1416247']
Hopefully you get the bass you want in good condition

If you haddnt of went to ebmm with this then they wouldn't know that s&t
Are swapping necks on basses to fill orders. Well they prob know alright but choose
To ignore it.

15000 views is alot of publicity and it's a shame nobody is coming out as a hero for
Stepping up and making this right for you. You have been waiting far too long
Either money or basses by he end of week is the only real answer.
[/quote]

After all this trouble I think it was a good idea to go direct.
That way EBMM know about the problems AND the order, I assume.
This is the best chance to get a good result, IMO...
as EBMM will want to make this work and have to power to do so...
and also might look into any other issues behind the scenes.

I have to say I would have bailed long before though...but that might no now be helping the OP
to make up his mind.

I look forward to a very speedy, complete and satisfactory result for Gareth any time now.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1319583560' post='1416171']

not in the content of humour, I have no idea if he drinks or not, whoever made that caricature depicted him drinking... hence my humour.
[/quote]

Honestly, it didn't come across as humour. I had assumed that you were still angry about having been banned from the EBMM forums.

[/quote]

This sums it, for me. I think I'd be very risk averse at this point, and wanting to see the numbers bank in my bank account... before commiting to anythign else.

[/quote]

I would stick to enforcing my statutory rights rather than making additional demands.

You have rights of cancellation through distance selling regs. These give you seven working days in which to cancel a purchase on the completion of the contract. i.e. when the product is in your hands.

The business is not allowed to charge a restocking fee.

The business can charge for the cost of return of the item only if it is stated in the contract. They cannot charge for the cost of return of replacement goods.

You have no entitlement to interest.

Do it all in writing, recorded delivery, etc. Remember that the contract is with the retailer, not with the distributor or with the manufacturer. Speak to your local trading standards office for additional advice.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1319625770' post='1416488']
Do it all in writing, recorded delivery, etc. Remember that the contract is with the retailer, not with the distributor or with the manufacturer. Speak to your local trading standards office for additional advice.
[/quote]

Some good points, there.

I thought the contract with the manufacturer was simply to report the anomalies experienced with the bass... ? I still think it's an avenue worth pursuing, although I would expect the distributor - the source of the current issue - to be the one resolving it.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1319629134' post='1416566']

Some good points, there.

I thought the contract with the manufacturer was simply to report the anomalies experienced with the bass... ? I still think it's an avenue worth pursuing, although I would expect the distributor - the source of the current issue - to be the one resolving it.
[/quote]

The contract the consumer has is with the retailer.

The retailer has the contract with the distributor.

The distributor has the contract with the manufacturer.

sh*te, that's my cock up for calling ST a 'distributor' - good job you've got a streak of pedantry to back up the good advice :)

So do you reckon it's not worth contacting EBMM? I'm still in favour of dropping them a line, given the bass has been tampered with somewhere along the line - though I wouldn't be expecting them to put things right (although Lakland did, in the example above), as the contract is with the retailer.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1319628951' post='1416560']
Suppose depends on your point of view I thought it was funny
[/quote]
At least 2 of you did then. :)
I thought it was a mistimed shot at Sterling. I'm not say he doesn't deserve it but I found it irrelevant to the thread as the issue appears to lie with S&T and/or BM and not EBMM. I also found it a bit hypocritical since Fran has already been quoted in this thread as hailing Sterling "the new Leo" on the EBMM forum last year (I didn't know about the banning though.... and I certainly don't get all these matrix references). I wonder if Gareth saw the funny side seeing a message practically rubbing his nose in the fact (or not) that Sterling was pissing it up on his money? I'm sure the intent was good but it didn't come over well. :)