Why become a member? ×

NOT GREAT NEW BASS DAY - EBMM Ray HH Matching Headstock

Musicman20

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1318970049' post='1408503']
Keep it civil please guys.....don't wanna lock the thread before we see the conclusion huh :)

Si
[/quote]

Well said Si and thank you.

People tends to forget that whilst things need to be said politely in order to comply within the guidleines of good fellowmanship in forum such as this that there is freedom of speech and freedom of thoughts, Jimmy does not allow me such freedom and by doing so, he is slave of his own restrictive thoughts.

Jimmy to be correct I don't mind a Stingray or a Sub and loved the Big Al to bits, however while these basses are good, there are better ones that makes them unusable in comparison. I am happy to state that I have found these basses and I am happy with my current stable of choice.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

And as for not liking EBMM Jimmy it's not entirely correct, as I've said I don't mind the odd bass they make, what I am not down with is the level of mind control which is inputed in that forum, you're either in their gang or you're out and many like you Jimmy fall victim of that forced doctrine that make you wanna be a sworn disciple to be in their good book, you are proving the very fact by trying to come here and put me on the spot, fighting the good fight on behalf of your gang leader. It's all washed out Jimmy, pathetic, and its making you look like a puppet on a string. Please steer away from me. I am not interested, you're plugged in the matrix mate. You took the red pill.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1318972280' post='1408538']
I have said it before to you GW as you know (as you have said it before in another thread) but to say an EBMM bass is unusable in comparison to a Dingwall is just laughable. They are both well made and one person may prefer one to the other but in no way are they unusable they just aren't :)
[/quote]

As I've said.... matrix / red pill.

There is just no point in arguing about what bass is best. Let's just accept that some like one bass and others like other basses. Let's also accept that new experiences may make us change our minds.

However, I'm still keen to know the outcome of this saga. Basschat is now supplying us with our own soap opera! :)

Surely it's all down to personal preference guys? Everyone likes what they like, and it's not usually that one bass is better than another (not when we're talking quality instruments anyway), it's just that it works best for you.

I've said it before; one man's coq au vin is another man's chicken in a basket!

Now put yer handbags down! :)

GW I have no issue with you changing your mind or thinking whatever you like about whatever make and model of bass, it's what makes us different but it's just that unusable thing, I know you have dangled it out for a bite and I've bitten. I have played in no particular order but at some length if not quite a bit of time spent with, Dingwalls, GBs, EBMMs, Roskoes, Allevas, Sadowskys, Seis, Rics ,Fenders, High end Yammys etc etc etc, The biggest difference between them was styling so I'm intrigued to know just what the Dingwall allows you to do that any of those don't or is it specifically EBMM basses that are unusable in comparison?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1318974250' post='1408573']
GW I have no issue with you changing your mind or thinking whatever you like about whatever make and model of bass, it's what makes us different but it's just that unusable thing, I know you have dangled it out for a bite and I've bitten. I have played in no particular order but at some length if not quite a bit of time spent with, Dingwalls, GBs, EBMMs, Roskoes, Allevas, Sadowskys, Seis, Rics ,Fenders, High end Yammys etc etc etc, The biggest difference between them was styling so I'm intrigued to know just what the Dingwall allows you to do that any of those don't or is it specifically EBMM basses that are unusable in comparison?
[/quote]

You are more than welcome to be my guest, come and visit me, and I'll let you try 'em. In a nutshell, the neck and the novax system allows the E and low B to ring out well defined notes which were previosuly not so on other basses I've owned. Also these necks are very comfortable, not quite as thin as Ibanez necks, yet they allow for a very low action without fret buzz. Thanks to the extra scale length all strings have an even tension from the G string to the low B, they are a breeze to play, effortlessly, songs which I previously struggled that were a bit busier on the hand now are much easier on the wrist muscles. The pickups and preamps I also find to be very usable and easy for anyone to get a good sound just going through the pickup selector and tone control. Come and try them. Nuff said

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1318976006' post='1408608']

You are more than welcome to be my guest, come and visit me, and I'll let you try 'em. In a nutshell, the neck and the novax system allows the E and low B to ring out well defined notes which were previosuly not so on other basses I've owned. Also these necks are very comfortable, not quite as thin as Ibanez necks, yet they allow for a very low action without fret buzz. Thanks to the extra scale length all strings have an even tension from the G string to the low B, they are a breeze to play, effortlessly, songs which I previously struggled that were a bit busier on the hand now are much easier on the wrist muscles. The pickups and preamps I also find to be very usable and easy for anyone to get a good sound just going through the pickup selector and tone control. Come and try them. Nuff said
[/quote]

You see, this is what I find interesting about Dingwalls. All the owners report they have this thunderous, piano like bottom end that just rings out. There are plenty of non Novax system basses there that have an equally good (if not better) low end. The thing about even tension across the strings may not be as advantageous as everybody thinks. I know that GW will despute this but play a Dingwall in a band situation (or even soloed if you really want to analyse this) and compare the balls of the bottom to the anaemic top end of treble strings. Boost the bass to bring the treble strings to where they should be and the bass strings are too overpowering. They just aren't balanced - the weak G string syndrome of the Stingray is nothing compared to that of the Dingwall - especially when we're talking 6 stringer DWs. This is why I haven't got a Dingwall but I have to admit, I like the concept and they are beautifully made. If GW has found his weapon of choice, great. Now let's get on and let Gareth get his Stingray replacement be it a Bongo or whatever.

PS no matrix/red pill here

Edited by EBS_freak

Gareth you should buy my 25th HSS well someone should anyway !!!

I liked the bongo alot but I never got comfy with the body shape ( btw anyone who wants to or has the time to can go to the ebmm forum and quote me on that)

Fran (Gw) was kind enough to bring me his dingwals fenders and a mad prs thing.

5 mins into play on his abz I was sold, for me they really are that good. Chords where no problem ,no weak g string fanned where a diddle to work out.
I also had his bongo for a few months and that was a nice bass too but it did look like a toilet seat.

Gareth hope the bongo works out for you at least with a painted neck they can't Swap it from another bass.

How do those painted necks on the Bongos wear? I know the painted neck on my SUB developed a shiny patch which made the formally very smooth neck a thing of the past (I subsequently stripped it, much better now). When I've played Bongos at trade shows I've liked the feel of the necks and the body shape seemed to work ergonomically, but I wasn't keen on the preamp, just a bit too 'modern' (for want of a better term) sounding for me. I also prefer the 2 band on the SUB over the 3 on my old Ray, so it's probably no surprise that the Bongo's one wasn't for me.

I have been following this thread with interest and, despite the digressions into a bit of handbags at dawn, it has been very interesting and somewhat disappointing as to the service Gareth has received. I agree that when spending that sort of money the instrument has to be spot on. When I think of the quality of my Sandberg at half of the cost of the Ray in question and the great service I have had from Sandberg when asking technical questions, it beggars belief that EBMM and their distributors have dropped the ball so badly (IMO they are all one and it is down to the OEM to make sure everyone in its chain of supply delivers what they deem as their level of quality and service).

I hope that your new bass proves to be just what you want and erases what must be the somewhat sour experience from your memory. As ever of course no pics and none of this ever happened :)

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='swanbrook' timestamp='1319013771' post='1408785']
Gareth you should buy my 25th HSS well someone should anyway !!!

I liked the bongo alot but I never got comfy with the body shape ( btw anyone who wants to or has the time to can go to the ebmm forum and quote me on that)

Fran (Gw) was kind enough to bring me his dingwals fenders and a mad prs thing.

5 mins into play on his abz I was sold, for me they really are that good. Chords where no problem ,no weak g string fanned where a diddle to work out.
I also had his bongo for a few months and that was a nice bass too but it did look like a toilet seat.

Gareth hope the bongo works out for you at least with a painted neck they can't Swap it from another bass.
[/quote]

Thanks! I would have liked a 25th but to be honest my preference is the HH w/rosewood. I might get a Reflex one day, but Im very much 'done' for a good year or more when this arrives.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1319016554' post='1408835']
How do those painted necks on the Bongos wear? I know the painted neck on my SUB developed a shiny patch which made the formally very smooth neck a thing of the past (I subsequently stripped it, much better now). When I've played Bongos at trade shows I've liked the feel of the necks and the body shape seemed to work ergonomically, but I wasn't keen on the preamp, just a bit too 'modern' (for want of a better term) sounding for me. I also prefer the 2 band on the SUB over the 3 on my old Ray, so it's probably no surprise that the Bongo's one wasn't for me.

I have been following this thread with interest and, despite the digressions into a bit of handbags at dawn, it has been very interesting and somewhat disappointing as to the service Gareth has received. I agree that when spending that sort of money the instrument has to be spot on. When I think of the quality of my Sandberg at half of the cost of the Ray in question and the great service I have had from Sandberg when asking technical questions, it beggars belief that EBMM and their distributors have dropped the ball so badly (IMO they are all one and it is down to the OEM to make sure everyone in its chain of supply delivers what they deem as their level of quality and service).

I hope that your new bass proves to be just what you want and erases what must be the somewhat sour experience from your memory. As ever of course no pics and none of this ever happened :)
[/quote]

Thanks. Apparently the satin finish on the neck becomes smoother, something like that. Those who seem to have owned one for years have never had proper 'wear' on the paint.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1319028022' post='1409023']

Thanks. Apparently the satin finish on the neck becomes smoother, something like that. Those who seem to have owned one for years have never had proper 'wear' on the paint.
[/quote]
I always wonder why people have reservations over painted necks but don't have any problems over clear coated necks. Fair enough if an oiled finish is your thing but painted ones (which probably have the same clear coat over the top anyway) always seem to have negative press implied toward them for no tangible reason other than you can see them. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1319034843' post='1409149']
I always wonder why people have reservations over painted necks but don't have any problems over clear coated necks. Fair enough if an oiled finish is your thing but painted ones (which probably have the same clear coat over the top anyway) always seem to have negative press implied toward them for no tangible reason other than you can see them. :)
[/quote]

I'm glad you've posted this. I agree entirely. My SUB has the painted neck which is fine. In fact, I don't really think much about what finish the neck has, I just play 'em.