Why become a member? ×

Do you play all your basses?

Blademan_98

I used to have far too many basses as a 'player' but I also considered myself a bit of a collector (so I could never have enough). Sold loads off a few years back and even now, though I have only 6 basses, I've got too many. I will be selling off 3 basses so that I'm down to my regular gigging bass, a back-up and a rare Ltd Ed which I can't bear to part with!

I was thinking about this recently...

At the moment my "go to" bass is the Overwater in my avatar which means both Jaydees and both VCs are in their cases. The fretless VC doesn't get played - if having such a fantastic bass in it's case unplayed is a crime I'm "guilty as charged" - I've tried to find a new home for it where it will get used (I'm not a fretless player) but no takers..I've even thought about having it fretted..I can find an excuse for not selling the others..

The exceptions are the Fender S1 which was never intended to be a keeper and the acoustic which can only be justified because I use it to learn new lines/riffs..

I try to rotate having them out but to be honest I'm not good at this..when I do, I suddenly remember why I'm keeping it!! I think I regret selling nearly every one of the basses which I did sell (well nearly..)

I have 3. One lives in the living room for those 5 minutes before work where I can have a mess about. It knackered so i don;t mind of my 2 year old kicks about the living room. The new 4 string got played alot recently in the band, but it was only ever goingto be back up so thats now back on the rack tuned to standard tuning to be used for non band practice stuff. The 6 string is the band bass. So yep they all get played fairly evenly.

[quote]
Hey guys! Aren't you worried (what, with all the threads on the subject) that, with all this chopping and changing basses, [b]you[/b] won't sound like ...[b]you[/b]?
Cos it's a well known fact that yer sound comes from yer bass. So, it stands to reason that if you change yer bass, then, [b]you[/b] won't sound like[b] you[/b] any more. :)
[/quote]

I'm so bad, whatever i played, it would definitely sound like me, trust me!! :)

I think its more in the fingers than the bass, i think jack bruce could get a sound out of a wardrobe, if you put strings on it, and you'd probably know it was him, as for me, give me anything, and you wouldnt have a clue what type of bass i was playing, unless you were watching.....and weeping!!

Have 4, two fretted, two fretless, keep one fretless by the PC in the garage/studio for working stuff out, one in the living room for noodling at night time. They go to jam nights and stuff.
Two fretted live in cases and get gigged every weekend, though my rickenfaker tends to get pulled out, tuned, looked at and left on the side as a spare that I haven't needed in ages. Can't get rid of it, as I spent so much money that I'll never get back putting it together, and it looks ace.

I have 5 basses in my possession, plus two my brother owns and i can use when I like.
The lakland 55-01 gets gigged almost entirely every gig. I have a couple of songs I use a Hohner Fretless (cool little beast) on, and my Ibanez Gio (first ever bass) gets used as a Backup. I then have 2 basses that need repairing. I have an old Aria Pro 2 RSB Special (The cat or something i think its called) that has a tiny chip where one of the tuners goes. So that needs a little bit of work on it. The other is a Yamaha BB615 where I got the nut replaced by a luthier in cambridge. Only to find that said nut does not work on the E string (it doesn't contact well, and thus the intonation is also horrible) He refuses to reply and thus i need a new nut cut.

I haven't played electric bass in a band for almost two years, so My Eminence upright gets 99% of my time, my Fender acoustic gets living roon noodling time, my poor beloved EBMM Sterling hangs forlornly on the wall, waiting for the 1 or 2 hours a month that I get to plug it in at home. My Bass Collection fretless now lives under the bed (and is for sale.... :) ).

I'm giving consideration to selling my Sterling as well, as I can't see myself playing it in a band any time soon and it kills me to have such a great bass hanging on the wall not being played.

I hate this sort of thread - makes me face-up to reality...

Of the basses I have, 2 get played regularly, my Lakland JO and the USA P. The '83 Japanese SQ Squier P was a recent addition, which I'm undecided on keeping even though it's AWESOME (only need 1 P and the Squier is probably the better bass, but the USA P was a wedding present from the other half). The Shuker 6 string gets a dust off now and again but is criminally underplayed considering I comissioned it. The Ibanex ATK has only been out of its case a handful of times since I got it over a year ago (although I don't feel too bad since I know how little it cost!)... The bongo and warwick are going though, at which point the ATK will have free space on my wall, so is more likely to get a look-in!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1316637140' post='1380866']
I have four '4' string basses.

2 fretted and 2 fretless.

I was thinking about dropping that down to just the two. I sat down today and played them all in turn. I really did think that it would jump out at me which ones to lose.

I decided in the end that four is not excessive and I really did not want to part with any of them.

It was a great couple of hours and made me really smile :)

Those of you with mutiple basses, do you have a day like that and just play them all to really get a feel for them?

My 5 string fretless just sat on it's stand looking upset and unloved :)
[/quote]

Of the 12 basses about 8 get regular play. it depends on what I'm doing, (tuning, style etc)
Moved on my beloved Yamaha recently, BIG MISTAKE!

I go through phases of one being a favourite and the others not getting much attention. At the moment the Overwater and L2000 get the most air time with the Thunderbird getting picked up more occasionally (once a week or so). My defretted Yamaha RBX has been out of commission for far too long (2 years or so !) due to a failed refinish (should be done again within 2 weeks), when that's put back together and rewired it'll be like having a new instrument !

I sell on stuff if it doesn't get played. I've only ever owned stuff I really like so it requires being a little ruthless at times. Right now I am back down to 4 basses and that figure wont be getting higher. My GAS days are over and I prefer spending money on other things now. It was fun whilst it lasted though

I currently have 6 with another one in the breach (paid for but not collected yet).

The Fender Power Jazz Special is the one I usually gig with for my heavy rock covers band but at a shade under 9lbs is a little bit at the end of what I find comfortable, so I use lighter weight basses for practice. Usually the Bass Collection. I keep these detuned half a tone as that is how we play. I know it isn't exactly onerous to keep changing it but, well, you know - it is easier to pick something up that is ready to go.

At the moment I am using my pimped Westone Thunder Jet for my light rock covers band gigs - with the J. East P-Retro preamp it gives a greater range of tones for the greater range of tunes we play and isn't as gritty as the Power Jazz, which is really more suited to heavier rock. This is fairly lightweight in itself but if my back is playing up I will use the Hohner cricket bat.

I feel this is going to change soon as I am about to put a J. East Pre-amp (thanks again Nigel!) in my newly refurbished Fender Precision Lyte and I reckon this will be my 'go to' bass for this band. The neck is fantastic and I find it really comfy to wear so I am guessing the change of pre-amp is going to be step or 4 up!

I also have my Washburn Scavenger which is too heavy for me to play for any length of time, so is probably the only one that I would say 'no I don't play it' to the OP. But I can't bring myself to sell it - it is a superb instrument in truly original condition and I would get bugger all for it. Hopefully my back will get stringer and I can play it again, I will get it out of it's case occasionally in the meanwhile.

On the way is a Yamaha RBX800A. I have no firm idea why I bought this other than a moment of weakness - submitting to GAS - and curiosity to see how this supposed top end of the range mid 80s Yamaha compares against the P-Bass Lyte and the Bass Collection. We'll see.

Guest bassman7755

Im working up to having 4 basses - 2 each of fretted and fretless 5-ers. The idea being that one set only gets used for gigs/rehersals and the other set stays at home for practice the point of the excercise being that I dont "waste" fresh strings with practice at home and dont have to pack/unpack any gear for rehearsals/gigs (being a compulsively lazy git).

Edited by bassman7755

[quote]Do you play all your basses?[/quote]

Nope. I only ever use 2 (out of 4) - my Tanglewood acoustic in the house, and my FrankenShukerJazz for everything electric :)

I have a couple of nice Warwicks that I've not played for almost a year - can't bear to part with them for the silly money that some are going for at the moment.

I have 4 at the mo and I play them all. I tend to rotate the ones I play in the house or at rehersals but gig with either the Jazz or the g & l. My problem is I love the neck on the Jazz but love the pickups/sound from the g & l.
I really wish I could be the guy who plays one bass all the time and is happy to do so.

Jez

Yes I do - and if I stop playing them they get sold.

I've had up to 5 - currently have 3 and when I finally hang up my mic stand beer holder and nob gags I'll keep just one - the 73P that's been with me for 33 years and could tell you tales to make your hair curl.

Recent sales include my lovely shukerised Status which I loved but had no further use for and my Explorer which was bloody awful.