Why become a member? ×

Is anybody truly happy?

nottswarwick

So, I'm sat outside my caravan in Cornwall musing over a few things. I am midway through a rig change which came about through a shift to drums seeing me sell some gear to free cash for drum stuff. However I am now bassing full time and want to put together my ideal rig.

I am liking my new BF Compact so far, and a couple more gigs will likely see me sure. However, like alot of folk on here I have been through a few heads ( mainly markbass to be fair - lm 2 and 3, ta501 and f1) and I keep reading about the other new micro head options.

And then we read about folk chopping and changing, or even singing the praises of a particular head only to see in their sig that they have moved on to something else.

FS section sees a fairly regular set of amps cropping up ( shuttles, streamliner, tc heads etc) but not quite as many markbass, ashdown Abm and others. Maybe this should tell me something.

I want a rig that I can forget about, that is loud, portable and versatile.

So in all honestly who is truly happy with their rig having used it for a good while without feeling the need to change?

I've had my Markbass rig for almost 2 years now. Have never found anything that beats it for me! Nearly traded my cab for a couple of Ampegs (which DO sound great...), but I came to my senses. I can achieve 'that' tone with a few knob tweaks anyway! The sound, clarity, power, sheer cutting through ability, reliability, and the versatility of my current rig make it a winner for me. The light weight is just a novelty really! Though im sure ill be thankful of it one day :) Only change I'm planning on making is when I can afford a second cab!

Edited by chrismuzz

I have a GK backline 600 and 2 big old 15" Laney PA cabs that I pulled the tweeters out of, and stuck Celestion drivers in.
I like it a lor, have done for the last year and a half. Was considering changing it as I thought it was a bit muddy, then I heard a bunch of other guys playing through it all last weekend at a local festival, it is not muddy, I am too close (and clearly like to make things sound muddy).
It's staying. :)

I'm very happy with my rig & have been for the 3 years that I've had it.

If your amp & cab choice can produce the frequencies you want at the volume you want, then you should be looking to your bass or effects if you're tired of the sound you're getting.
My sound has changed over these past 3 years from just my bass with round zingy strings straight in to the amp to now being a very bass heavy sound using flat strings & a few effects & the rig still does the job I bought it to do.

It is a MarkBass LMII.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1327068' date='Aug 4 2011, 02:52 PM']So, I'm sat outside my caravan in Cornwall musing over a few things. I am midway through a rig change which came about through a shift to drums seeing me sell some gear to free cash for drum stuff. However I am now bassing full time and want to put together my ideal rig.

I am liking my new BF Compact so far, and a couple more gigs will likely see me sure. However, like alot of folk on here I have been through a few heads ( mainly markbass to be fair - lm 2 and 3, ta501 and f1) and I keep reading about the other new micro head options.

And then we read about folk chopping and changing, or even singing the praises of a particular head only to see in their sig that they have moved on to something else.

FS section sees a fairly regular set of amps cropping up ( shuttles, streamliner, tc heads etc) but not quite as many markbass, ashdown Abm and others. Maybe this should tell me something.

I want a rig that I can forget about, that is loud, portable and versatile.

So in all honestly who is truly happy with their rig having used it for a good while without feeling the need to change?[/quote]

The rig I am happy with is an old Trace RMX2450, its great does everything I want tonally mosfet and valve preamps! and has plenty of power for great transients and dynamic range, but it weighs 35kg!! :) I try everything to move on, to something lighter but I have not found anything as good that includes markbass, TC Elec, blah blah the only thing I would go to would be a Glockenklang but they are just a weighty. So I guess I am happy ish!!! just the weight!

Well i had the same rig for about 4 years, and only recently got caught up in all the Streamliner talk. This helped me realise i was getting a bit tired of MB heads, or at least i thought i was, but as you know, here i am again, singing the praises of MB, albeit a different MB head than i had 7 weeks ago, and i couldn't be happier.

What i have found recently is no matter how happy i am with my rig, a certain venue can destroy that. Ive had fantastic gigs with my Streamliner, and terrible ones.
After all this i now realise im at the mercy of the venues so what i use isnt really a issue, so no need to keep changing it after every crappy gig.

I was all set on getting a BF compact to replace my 1212L but after so many good gigs with this cab i see no reason to spend more money and will be keeping it for a while longer.
MB/Schroeder are a match made in heaven.

If money was no object i expect i would try more rigs out but i also expect ill still have gigs where i sound (to me) terrible.

Seems to be a lot of MarkBass love going around on here at the moment. Thats a lovely thing to see and im glad im still in the club.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well I`ve had my Ampeg PF-500 for about 2 months, my Barefaced Compact for 12 days, and my Barefaced Midget for 1 day. Some might say that is a long time for me.

The Barefaced cabs aren`t going anywhere, as for one I like the sound/performance, and two, I just can`t carry anything else anyway, due to my shoulder really playing up recently.

That leaves the Ampeg. Now to me, Ampeg is the God of bass amps, and this little guy means I get Ampeg sound, in an amp I can carry in a lap-top bag. Ever since trying to go lightweight with gear, I`ve been after the Ampeg sound, now I`ve got it. So it`s a keeper.

And basses, well I`m a Fender Precision man through and through - any other bass in my hands just seems "wrong".

Edit - to be honest, if I still had the ability to shift things about, I`d probably have kept my Marshall DBS 7400 amp and Marshall VBC 412 cab, as they both worked great for me, but they just hurt too much, so each had to be found new homes. And I do like buying new gear.

Edited by Lozz196

I'm getting my best sounds ever..

There is nothing I'd want that I haven't got.
I am sure I could stir up some GAS, but I have money sitting in the bank not being spent on Bass gear
and don't envisage a change anytime soon.

Also..as I made my choices carefully, I am not selling anything either so how much gear do I need to double up on?
I have two top rigs already, IMO.

After constantly chopping and changing from ashdown and eden and ending up with the LMK II and a rake of Ampeg cabs I`m all set.

I think I`ll definitely be getting an Ampeg PF500 in the new year but I`ll keep the LMKII as a backup/2nd rig and the "Hampeg Likkle Fatty" as he`s now known will have to be prised from my cold dead hands.

Rig sorted, just want a good Yank Precision now :)