Why become a member? ×

What Are Your Amp Settings?

gsgbass

There's a thread for bass settings, how about tell us, or show us a pic of your amp settings.
I'm only showing the Classic settings on my Marshall MB4410 Combo. I kinda' prefer the Classic sound over the Modern sound.

Edited by famstd

Fairly scooped. On the Trace it was Preshape 1, low and high mids boosted, graphic level and balance at about 3-4 o'clock.
I'm using the LH500 mostly now and it 8-6-7 on the eq with the brite switch and limiter engaged.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1234647' date='May 17 2011, 06:03 PM']But what is flat?[/quote]
Without having to spend time messing with it, with the knobs in the middle position. (I know that's not the physics answer but it's what I meant, and what I do)

Edited by EssentialTension

It depends on the amp, the bass, the room I'm in, the cab I am using, the state of my strings, effects pedals I am using and the type of music I am playing. On each of my amps the 'flat' settings produce entirely different sounds, so the whole thing turns into a 'how long is a piece of string?' debate.

Sometimes you can get great sounds of amps that sound terrible (to me anyway) with everything in the twelve o'clock position or without any pre-shapes or eq settings (Ashdown/Trace Elliot). I think that the trick is spending time with the amp so you can work out what works and does not work for you. It is not a sin to alter the amp eq to get a sound you like, in fact that is what the knobs and sliders are generally there for.

One of my amps sounds great with minimal eq boosts and without any pre-shapes, whereas the other requires some button pressing. I frankly don't care either way as they are totally different amps with different characteristics.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1234652' date='May 17 2011, 06:07 PM']Without having to spend time messing with it, with the knobs in the middle position. (I know that's not the physics answer but it's what I meant, and what I do)[/quote]

Fair enough! I hate messing with amps, hence my main rig has essentially no EQ and just a volume knob. And it's totally clean however you set that.

But with a 2 or 3 band EQ, how hard is it to turn the bass knob up if it sounds thin, down if it sounds boomy, turn the treble knob up if it sounds dull, down if it sounds too bright, and turn the mids up if it sounds too mellow, down if it sounds too aggressive? It isn't exactly rocket science and could mean there are a lot more amps to choose from, not just the few whose default curve happens to suit you, your bass and your cab.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1234716' date='May 17 2011, 06:53 PM']Mine are whatever sounds best in the room I'm in. Since every room is different acoustically my settings are different in every room .[/quote]

[quote name='thodrik' post='1234831' date='May 17 2011, 08:22 PM']It depends on the amp, the bass, the room I'm in, the cab I am using, the state of my strings, effects pedals I am using and the type of music I am playing. On each of my amps the 'flat' settings produce entirely different sounds, so the whole thing turns into a 'how long is a piece of string?' debate.

Sometimes you can get great sounds of amps that sound terrible (to me anyway) with everything in the twelve o'clock position or without any pre-shapes or eq settings (Ashdown/Trace Elliot). I think that the trick is spending time with the amp so you can work out what works and does not work for you. It is not a sin to alter the amp eq to get a sound you like, in fact that is what the knobs and sliders are generally there for.

One of my amps sounds great with minimal eq boosts and without any pre-shapes, whereas the other requires some button pressing. I frankly don't care either way as they are totally different amps with different characteristics.[/quote]
Both of these. Yes.

I turn the knobs until it sounds good. Can be different each time depending on the venue and stage.
I don't buy into the keeping the eq flat at all. Using amps this way usually produces a sound that i don't like so i adjust settings until i get a sound i can work with.
When i had a LM3 i tried it flat with the filters off and it sounded pretty crap , much better using the eq or a VT pedal !
Don't be afraid to turn some knobs , as others have said , that's why they are there !

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1234716' date='May 17 2011, 06:53 PM']Mine are whatever sounds best in the room I'm in. Since every room is different acoustically my settings are different in every room .[/quote]

+1 right answer...

[quote name='alexclaber' post='1234846' date='May 17 2011, 08:35 PM']Fair enough! I hate messing with amps, hence my main rig has essentially no EQ and just a volume knob. And it's totally clean however you set that.

But with a 2 or 3 band EQ, how hard is it to turn the bass knob up if it sounds thin, down if it sounds boomy, turn the treble knob up if it sounds dull, down if it sounds too bright, and turn the mids up if it sounds too mellow, down if it sounds too aggressive? It isn't exactly rocket science and could mean there are a lot more amps to choose from, not just the few whose default curve happens to suit you, your bass and your cab.[/quote]
I do turn things up or down if I feel I need to and I don't need a lot more amps to choose from.

I'll throw it in here cos it might be interesting to someone. Many years ago when I bought my Nod Hiwatt it had been kept in a damp lockup for many years. About a year later a guy in the USA bought Jim Lea's old flight case (without the bass) which had been kept in the same lockup. When it arrived there were a few odds n sods in it, picks, loose strings etc and this ..............

A note from Nod to the roadies with his amp (now my amp) settings written on it, so the new case owner sent the note to me to be kept with the receipts. Not much physical use though; he played guitar thru the Brill channel.

depends on too many things; room, which drummer/guitarist/singer i'm working with and also material. If i'm just playing 'on me tod' then the bass is untouched, boost of about 6db at 1.6 and 5khz. Seems to work for me.