Why become a member? ×

Band Decision to make

If anyone who has been following my progress knows I havent had much luck with bands in fact after the last lot ditched me in Feb I havent touched my bass. Completely out of the blue I have just received an email from one of the bands who I audtioned for at Christmas time saying that they have been let down by their bass player and do I want the gig. Here's my dilema

On the plus side, it gets me playing again with people of a good standard ( the guitarist is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard live)
They are local to me
They play 70 and 80's rock ( which I like)
They have local well paid gigs

On the negative side they mucked me about something rotten after the auditon , first they offered me the gig on the spot, then they refused to answer my telephone calls and emails and then went with someone else , so I'm not sure how much I trust them.

Any thoughts ?

If these guys messed you around, but you accept their invitation, and a few months down the line they continue to mess you around, then your problems will have arisen not from bad luck, but from bad judgement.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson

[quote name='chris_b' post='1221301' date='May 5 2011, 05:25 PM']Four good points and only one bad point. What are you waiting for?[/quote]

I suppose the question ss how much does one out weight four because if I get messed around again I'm be off bands for a very long time

If it means you pick up the bass again, and you get (at least) one decent gig out of it, then it's a no-brainer. Just do it.

If they start messing you about again a little downstream, then you can always walk ... five minutes before the rehearsal was due to start. :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1221306' date='May 5 2011, 05:27 PM']....I suppose the question ss how much does one out weight four because if I get messed around again I'm be off bands for a very long time....[/quote]
....and if you don't join them you're not in a band either! One good point can outweigh 100 bad points. Join them, have fun and keep looking.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1221291' date='May 5 2011, 05:16 PM']If anyone who has been following my progress knows I havent had much luck with bands in fact after the last lot ditched me in Feb I havent touched my bass. Completely out of the blue I have just received an email from one of the bands who I audtioned for at Christmas time saying that they have been let down by their bass player and do I want the gig. Here's my dilema

On the plus side, it gets me playing again with people of a good standard ( the guitarist is one of the best guitarists I've ever heard live)
They are local to me
They play 70 and 80's rock ( which I like)
They have local well paid gigs

On the negative side they mucked me about something rotten after the auditon , first they offered me the gig on the spot, then they refused to answer my telephone calls and emails and then went with someone else , so I'm not sure how much I trust them.

Any thoughts ?[/quote]

Whilst I think I am quick to walk from "smelly" situations, I am not sure this one is one of them.

I can easily imagine them liking you, offering you the spot, and immediately somebody else whom they knew etc told them he was available... Not ideal, but sometimes you are put in a situation trying to choose between two players/bands and it's not easy. Ideally, they'd be upfront and keep you informed... but maybe they just were unavailable while trying to sort out their situation. As I said, not ideal, but it may not be at all how they normally operate as a band. All the points you mentioned except this seemed good... I'd take the offer and join, and see what it is like. If things look smooth, then great. If there are other weak points... then you quit. I'd definitely give it a go, with the info you gave us.

[quote name='icastle' post='1221323' date='May 5 2011, 05:47 PM']Hmmm.... well paid and local.

Why not just go in with the slightly mercenary attitude that you're only deping for the one gig and see where it leads from there? :)[/quote]

+1 to this - let them understand you're doing them a favour - almost to the point that if they (hopefully) ask can you do the next gig after this one, make em wait a day before you agree to it!! :)

Go for it & show them why they should have given you the gig the first time. I agree with the others - there's far more pros than cons here. It sounds right up your street!

Keep us posted!

I've been in similar circumstances (though not for a few years). Fortunately back then I had a few irons in the fire' and could ditch bands who were just 'playing at it' - no pun intended. These days I'd be tempted to do it, purely because you like the material and it's local. Plus it's a paying gig. Even if they mess you around gain and you end up walking, you'll be a more experienced bassist with a bit more money in your back pocket/mattress.

On balance I'd do it. Cautiously.

Take the gig, turn up & when you open the case that holds your bass, surprise them by pulling out a running chainsaw & cut their legs off. Makes for a good stage show.

Either that or just turn up with your bass & get paid for gigging :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1221306' date='May 5 2011, 05:27 PM']I suppose the question ss how much does one out weight four because if I get messed around again I'm be off bands for a very long time[/quote]

If you have this attitude you'll never join a band again because you'll always find some reason not to join one.

Give it a month (or six weeks, or whatever you think you can afford). Be relaxed, do what the leader asks, even if you think he is wrong. Don't make any suggestions, just turn up and play the bass. If it's not working at the end of that time period then walk, if it is then start to make suggestions if you need to.