Why become a member? ×

Band Decision to make

[quote name='BottomE' post='1222289' date='May 6 2011, 04:01 PM']Maybe this should be another thread called "Do i have to like my fellow band members?" - I am with mcnach though. I don't believe you have to love your fellow musos to be in a good band. In fact, the better the musos that i get to play with the more socially inept and strange they seem to be. But thats not important. I don't want to sleep with them and already have a nice group of friends outside of the band thing.[/quote]

I'd never met my band members before it's formation. However I could never be in a band with people who I couldn't become friends with though. It would seem like work.
This is probably why we had a boardroom coup and overthrew the previous chairman.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1222289' date='May 6 2011, 04:01 PM']Maybe this should be another thread called "Do i have to like my fellow band members?" - I am with mcnach though. I don't believe you have to love your fellow musos to be in a good band. In fact, the better the musos that i get to play with the more socially inept and strange they seem to be. But thats not important. I don't want to sleep with them and already have a nice group of friends outside of the band thing.[/quote]

Thats fair enough - BUT I've been at the stage where I just hate going to rehearsals because I know I'll be locked in a room with 4 other people who I dislike. Thats when it stops being fun - so for me their needs to be some social interation otherwise it becomes just hard work.

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1222378' date='May 6 2011, 05:02 PM']Thats fair enough - BUT I've been at the stage where I just hate going to rehearsals because I know I'll be locked in a room with 4 other people who I dislike. Thats when it stops being fun - so for me their needs to be some social interation otherwise it becomes just hard work.[/quote]
I think if i found myself in a situation where i didn't like all the other members i would take a look at myself or leave the band. Fortunately thats not happened (yet). Whilst i agree that it has to be fun - playing bass and improving has always been my main motivation and having been in lots of bands its probably natural that there will be some people that you don't naturally hit it off with.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1222200' date='May 6 2011, 01:48 PM']Bands, first and foremost=contacts. IMO.

If it doesn't work in one guise or another, then you have spread the wings just a little further.[/quote]

good point.

The very first band I joined on bass was pretty bad. Good guys (one slightly insane, but it took me a month to find that out :)) but... pretty dire. The thing is I was not that confident on bass yet and I figured at least it could be fun. Through that band I met a couple of singers I ended up working with later on. Through one of those singers I met a great drummer, we played together a bit, and a year later he remembered me when he was starting out a ska band...
And many other calls I got from people were through having met people in bands, even if I joined them briefly and left.

Contacts are very important, and you never know who knows who and where you may find them again... so being exposed to other msuicians is important to simply know people... and of course, you should always behave: be nice, be reliable (if you say you will do something, do it, if you don't want to do it, be straight and say it)... you don't want to be the one people remember as "ah, yeah, he was a good player but he's an ass"... :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='1222378' date='May 6 2011, 05:02 PM']Thats fair enough - BUT I've been at the stage where I just hate going to rehearsals because I know I'll be locked in a room with 4 other people who I dislike. Thats when it stops being fun - so for me their needs to be some social interation otherwise it becomes just hard work.[/quote]

of course!!! :)

I quit a band I really truly and deeply loved because I couldn't take any more of the "leader"'s attitude. When we were playing it was great. I loved every minute. But he was a little too uptight, got stressed out easily, and it started to annoy me. It got to a point where I just didn't want to rehearse anymore... I'd have loved to just gig, but that couldn't be... and I quit. I still see them play live sometimes and it makes me a little jealous... but it just wasn't fun. It has to be fun. Always. Because we know that there surely won't be a whole lot of money in it (at least for those at my level of commitment) :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1222513' date='May 6 2011, 07:27 PM']of course!!! :)

I quit a band I really truly and deeply loved because I couldn't take any more of the "leader"'s attitude. When we were playing it was great. I loved every minute. But he was a little too uptight, got stressed out easily, and it started to annoy me. It got to a point where I just didn't want to rehearse anymore... I'd have loved to just gig, but that couldn't be... and I quit. I still see them play live sometimes and it makes me a little jealous... but it just wasn't fun. It has to be fun. Always. Because we know that there surely won't be a whole lot of money in it (at least for those at my level of commitment) :)[/quote]

Me too. I would guess that a fair few people have quit their day jobs for the same reason. I know I did and it was a really good job that I enjoyed with international travel and good pay.

I'm a people person if the people aren't nice and friendly then I can't work with them on any level. Life is too short.