Why become a member? ×

First bassline you ever learned?

Ross

Well I'm just curious as to what the first song people on here could play on bass was.
For me, on the £70 stagg crapmaster, American idiot. Oh dear lord, how far I have come since then. Started off not knowing what frets were what and it took me a while to get the concept of adjusting a strap...
How about you guys?

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='1220678' date='May 5 2011, 09:54 AM']UK Subs, Warhead. And I bet I'm not alone.[/quote]
Quality!

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1220713' date='May 5 2011, 10:15 AM']Pretty Green by The Jam :)[/quote]
And more quality!

For me, think it was Anarchy In The UK. Am going back many moons, but it was the only LP I had that I also had the songbook to, and I know that I found Pretty Vacant too difficult (I was a beginner).

On a red Marlin P-copy, various bit and pieces of easy Zep, the Doors. Then my dad said one day quite innocently "what can you play all the way through?"

errrm.

So I went off and found the nearest "Guitar For The Practicing Musician" which had Enter Sandman conveniently tabbed out and learnt that.

||: Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum DUM :||

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1220883' date='May 5 2011, 12:09 PM']The Chain - Fletwood Mac[/quote]

Ditto - although it was just the famous riff at the end, not the whole song.
The first complete song I learned was Bowie's 'John, I'm Only Dancing', as it was transcribed in the forst copy of Bassist I ever bought. :)

"Freewill" by Rush. It was transcribed for guitar and bass in a guitar magazine years ago, and was the only bass music in the house. I think I wore the cassette out listening to it repeatedly. Happy days. I can still remember most of it too.