Why become a member? ×

How many of us play guitar as well ?

Les

Have to admit I haven't read all six or seven pages of the thread but I'd be bolloxed if I couldn't look at what the guitarist is playing and know where he's at !!

Don't get me wrong if it's something jazzy at the 10 fret I may struggle but playing at a bit of guitar does help me understand what's going on with the guitar.

Thought we'd all play a bit of guitar to be honest. Could be wrong though. :)

I HATE it when people say 'Oh you play guitar'... No, I play bass, that is not the same thing! :) :lol:

However, I can play guitar and can happily strum through songs and know plenty stuff to get away with at a Busker's Night or at a BBQ etc. just don't ask me to start getting widdly. :)

I think it's really useful to know a bit of guitar (keys and drums as well if possible) and if you learn a little theory about how a chord is constructed and the various chords that go together in a particular key, then it's beneficial to my playing especially when asked to play songs that I'm not massively familiar with.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1203180' date='Apr 18 2011, 08:11 AM']I think it's really useful to know a bit of guitar (keys and drums as well if possible) and if you learn a little theory about how a chord is constructed and the various chords that go together in a particular key, then it's beneficial to my playing especially when asked to play songs that I'm not massively familiar with.[/quote]
I think that's a great point. My approach to bass playing has changed a lot as a result of playing drums and playing guitar. Learning other instruments should definitely help your musical understanding and, as a result, your bass playing.

yeah whn i was starting i was getting bass and guitar lessons from the same guy which was a great help. guitar lessons on the saturday then bass lessons on a tuesday which he stopped charging me for in the end as it began to just turn in to more of a jam session rather than a lesson

I have an old Vintage VP6 and regularly borrow whatever my Dad has bought recently (guitarists get GAS too).

I'm not too bad, could probably play well enough to be in a predictable rock band, no fiddly solos though ! I do enjoy a bit of bluesy lead though...

started off on classical guitar, and was quite good on electric in an 80's widdler sort of way. Trouble was by the time I could do the 80's widdling it was the 90's and no-one was interested in that sort of thing.

It's not much fun been in a band where the guitarist(s) is not good enough to play the guitar parts you write.

I do play guitar (have more guitars than basses) and have gigged in a prog rock band and a Latin band as well as a running few pop tunes if the occasion warrants it. I know I could play better given time and work it up to a pro level but we can't do everything, can we?

Bass first, keyboards second, no guitar. I can more or less tell what chord shapes a guitarist is playing, so I can play along in Jam Sessions/Open Mic Nights etc., but for some reason, I've never wanted to play a guitar. I mustn't have a big enough ego. :) :)
:lol:

I started off a bassist, and still consider myself very much that, but noodled around badly on guitar as well. I ended up paying my dues as the Rutherford in various Genesis tribute bands, so had to do my share of 12-string fingerpicking and strumming too. It's definitely helped in knowing my way around the neck on both instruments.

I play enough guitar to play standard rock rhythm parts, which is useful for song writing and to understand how to construct complimentary lines within a band context. I have played guitar in a couple of bands, but never felt particularly comfortable doing so. I always felt I was on the edge of playing really badly so was staring at the neck frowning with a look of panic, whereas playing bass just feels natural and I usually play with an inane grin!

I always wanted to play guitar as a youth. My picking up bass was more driven by the fact that the cool kids had already monopolised the six-strings by the time I got round to it, and I didn't think I could convince my parents of the value of drums!

I did pick up the guitar at the last rehearsal. The proximity of the strings did for me. I suspect it might be harder to convert in that direction, than the other.