Why become a member? ×

Lightweight Bass?

thebrig

Due to increasing pain in my neck and shoulders, I am on the lookout for a decent 4-string bass that is also very lightweight.
Not to bothered about cost, because I could sell a bass or two to cover it.
I play mainly covers, so a bit of versatility would be useful.
I've already gone down the lightweight amp route, with my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12 combo.

Any suggestions on a decent bass?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1053120' date='Dec 9 2010, 05:48 PM']The Vintage Modified range of Squiers are popular here and they use light woods. If you are on about selling two to fund one I wonder if these are a bit below what you are looking for (?) but all the owners on here seem to rave about them.[/quote]

I would consider anything that plays and feels right.
I will go have a look and try.
Thanks

I have a Lace Helix - odd looking thing but nice & light. If you don't mind the decidedly peculiar styling, these are pretty decent, and there's one for sale on here now:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=113101"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=113101[/url]

Not mine btw - mine's twin pup/through-neck.

Jon.

Obviously it's worth checking out the hollow-body and semi-hollow basses ... most seem to weigh nearer 8lbs than 10lbs and that makes more of a difference to your back/shoulders than you might imagine.

If you're not hung up on being traditional, then consider some of the "stick"-type basses by (or copied from) Steinberger.

My lightest giggable basses currently are a 1970's Gherson Jazz and one of those barking mad Westone "The Rail" thingies, but I have a Status Streamline on order. All three basses weigh just over 7lbs each.

Also, take another look at your choice of strap. I use almost exclusively those by Comfort Strapp (that's not a typo) and they help a lot.

The lightest one I recall playing was a Fender Aerodyne. It was [i]very[/i] light. Whilst it looked great. it also sounded pretty poor, but perhaps a pup/pre-amp change could work wonders for it.

FWIW, I'm now on the hunt for an Italia Rimini deluxe which I just tried as I also need a light bass - it was perfect and sounded great!

[quote name='thebrig' post='1053110' date='Dec 9 2010, 05:41 PM']Due to increasing pain in my neck and shoulders, I am on the lookout for a decent 4-string bass that is also very lightweight.
Not to bothered about cost, because I could sell a bass or two to cover it.
I play mainly covers, so a bit of versatility would be useful.
I've already gone down the lightweight amp route, with my Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 12 combo.
Any suggestions on a decent bass?
Thanks in advance![/quote]

The lightest bass I've come across (which isn't extra cheap) is the Ibanez SR500. Must be under 8lbs. Modern sound but doesn't do "a jazz". It's even lighter than my Cort.

Edited by Balcro

I have the self same trouble. There are light basses out there but to save yourself grief I'd define what you mean by light! IMHO it needs to be lighter than 9lb to qualify as light, whereas I've bought basses off Basschat whereby owners have made claims of 'featherweight' and 'the lightest bass I've ever owned'... one can only assume that the latter comment was from someone economical with the truth, who has only ever owned one bass as the bass in question was closer to 11lb!

The Fender Precision Lyte basses are pretty light and many of the new CV Jazz and Precision basses are around about 9lb (the two I've owned were just over). Though many claim that the Lakland Skylines 'can' be light I've yet to find one that is genuinely under 9lb (x2 DJ's were both way over 9lb and the JO was the 11lb offender). As has been mentioned there is the 'cricket bat' option and SOME hollowbodies (though beware some of them have solid cores and the extra large body size on some, really bumps the weight), such as the violin basses.

If your budget stretches you can find some very lightweight Warwick Streamer basses but they need to be the early to mid 80's ones; I have two, one of them is 7lb 7oz the other about 8lb. I also have a Zon Sonus which is 8.5lb.

The obvious which I'm sure you already do is to wear a nice wide strap.

Best of luck from a fellow sufferer. :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1053213' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:00 PM']I have the self same trouble. There are light basses out there but to save yourself grief I'd define what you mean by light! IMHO it needs to be lighter than 9lb to qualify as light, whereas I've bought basses off Basschat whereby owners have made claims of 'featherweight' and 'the lightest bass I've ever owned'... one can only assume that the latter comment was from someone economical with the truth, who has only ever owned one bass as the bass in question was closer to 11lb!

The Fender Precision Lyte basses are pretty light and many of the new CV Jazz and Precision basses are around about 9lb (the two I've owned were just over). Though many claim that the Lakland Skylines 'can' be light I've yet to find one that is genuinely under 9lb (x2 DJ's were both way over 9lb and the JO was the 11lb offender). As has been mentioned there is the 'cricket bat' option and SOME hollowbodies (though beware some of them have solid cores and the extra large body size on some, really bumps the weight), such as the violin basses.

If your budget stretches you can find some very lightweight Warwick Streamer basses but they need to be the early to mid 80's ones; I have two, one of them is 7lb 7oz the other about 8lb. I also have a Zon Sonus which is 8.5lb.

Best of luck from a fellow sufferer. :)[/quote]

agree, i have a Fender Precision Lyte, really light, not much heavier than a strat, i can easily do a 2hr plus gig with and not notice

It's also worth considering the balance of the bass not just the weight.

My p bass deluxe is much more comfortable than my jazz and yet is the heavier of the two. Maybe something to do with the off set body shape of the jazz.

You need to try a few and play them standing for more than just a few minutes.

I have a Non Export 70's re-issue P, which I assume to be basswood. Superb thump(especially with flats) and very light.
Semi hollow body things (Ibby, Aria, Godin, Epiphone etc, extremely light).
Sure some of the guys close would let you try their light basses :)
(have I spelt "their" right?, I'm getting paranoid now).

Good luck,
Karl.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1053146' date='Dec 9 2010, 06:06 PM']The lightest one I recall playing was a Fender Aerodyne. It was [i]very[/i] light. Whilst it looked great. it also sounded pretty poor, but perhaps a pup/pre-amp change could work wonders for it.

FWIW, I'm now on the hunt for an Italia Rimini deluxe which I just tried as I also need a light bass - it was perfect and sounded great![/quote]
The Aerodyne is also the lightest bass I`ve ever used. I swapped the Jazz bridge pickup to a Seymour Duncan Hot Stack on mine and it really changed the bass. Think if the P-Pickup was also changed to something darker, say a Wizard, it would be even better There was also one for sale on here at £550 - dunno if sold yet.

[quote name='iconic' post='1053690' date='Dec 10 2010, 08:27 AM']If you can find one about, discontinued now, some new old stock do turn up now and again....

[/quote]

I think I remember reading a great review of this in "Performing Musician" a few years ago. Is it the one that only came in two colours? White or black, I believe. It has what Yamaha call "Air Technology" or something, basically a softwood core which keeps the weight down.

I've just bought a s/h Yamaha and IMHO the quality is pretty good!

It isn't all about how light it is, although that is important, it's also how well the bass balances. Having a lightweight body with neck dive can be more uncomfortable than a heavy bass that is well balanced. A 2 over 2 headstock is something that helps in this area and, as been mentioned, headless.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='1053146' date='Dec 9 2010, 06:06 PM']The lightest one I recall playing was a Fender Aerodyne. It was [i]very[/i] light. Whilst it looked great. it also sounded pretty poor, but perhaps a pup/pre-amp change could work wonders for it.

FWIW, I'm now on the hunt for an Italia Rimini deluxe which I just tried as I also need a light bass - it was perfect and sounded great![/quote]

Tried out the 12-string guitar version a couple of years ago, and was very impressed with the quality.
I will definately seek one out and give it a try.

[quote name='Balcro' post='1053163' date='Dec 9 2010, 06:21 PM']The lightest bass I've come across (which isn't extra cheap) is the Ibanez SR500. Must be under 8lbs. Modern sound but doesn't do "a jazz". It's even lighter than my Cort.[/quote]

Yes, I've picked one up once and it was very light, but never actually played it, but will definately consider one.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1053213' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:00 PM']I have the self same trouble. There are light basses out there but to save yourself grief I'd define what you mean by light! IMHO it needs to be lighter than 9lb to qualify as light, whereas I've bought basses off Basschat whereby owners have made claims of 'featherweight' and 'the lightest bass I've ever owned'... one can only assume that the latter comment was from someone economical with the truth, who has only ever owned one bass as the bass in question was closer to 11lb!

Best of luck from a fellow sufferer. :)[/quote]

Yes I do have a wide strap, and it is very comfortable, but the annoying thing for me is that my first decent bass, was a Warwick Corvette Natural which I got for a mere £300 on ebay (in the days when Warwicks were going for silly money). It was fantastic sounding but showed signs of wear, but it was the [b]lightest[/b] bass that I have ever played! Stupidly, I thought that I like Warwicks so much, I would sell it on and get myself a brand new one, so that I could call it my own, so I decided to go for the Bubinga version, and believe me, it is one of the best looking and sounding Corvettes I've ever heard or played, BUT! it weighs well over [b]11 pounds![/b]
Recently I got myself the natural ash version, and although it is a bit lighter, it is still causing problems.
If I could buy my original Corvette back (warts & all), I would happily pay double what I got for it.
Sigh!

[quote name='scoobystig' post='1053250' date='Dec 9 2010, 07:38 PM']agree, i have a Fender Precision Lyte, really light, not much heavier than a strat, i can easily do a 2hr plus gig with and not notice[/quote]

What do they sound like, are they up there with standard Precisions?

The lightest bass I have in my current arsenal is the Danelectro Hodad. Any Danelectro will be light - they're masonite (hardboard) top and back on a plywood frame :)

A surprisingly light bass from my past was the Traben Chaos. I had the Attack version.

I have bouts of bad back problems - a weak sacroiliac joint and currently experiencing the worst episodes ever after clearing snow! - and have a Hohner B2A in reserve for that reason. It isn't my first choice of instrument but allows me to carry on playing at times when I would otherwise not be able to.

In fact I did have one a couple of years back, couldn't get on with the headless/long scale length thing and sold it. I missed it so much that I bought another more recently and have got over the issues I had with it. If you get a good one they are actually fantastic little basses - my current one isn't unfortunately but it does the job.