Why become a member? ×

How many strings?

BobTheBassist

Hi there.

This is really just me indulging a curiosity but where do people stand on this? You see untill recently I've always played a 4 string. "Who needs the extra notes" said I, "just drop the D."! But then I started using open notes to get a specific sound and realised it'd be nice to have the extra string, so when I got a new bass I went 5 string.

It's awesome! :) Not just the keeping stuff fretted but the strings being closer together has also proved useful, and also forced me to be neater. I just love it.

Of course I'll never go to 6 strings, who needs it? Just move your hand up the fretboard :)

So if anyone would like to participate in my little social study please do.

Bob

Only 6 for me.

I played a 5 for most of my playing life as I loved the tone from the lower, heavier string. As my playing matured I learnt that the low B should be used sparingly. Around the same time I strung my spare 5er E - C as I was playing up the neck more... I liked it and ended up using 1 bass for some songs and 1 bass for others...

After a while this started to bug me having to take 2 basses to local gigs on public transport so after a trip to bass direct a year ago I went for a 6 and have never looked back!

I seem to find 6 necks very comfy (all mine are very slim though) but I don't share your thoughts on close string spacing as my 5ers and my 6ers have all had 18.5mm - 19mm string spacing so no closer than any 4's really. There are some musical ventures I'm involved in where I don't use the B or C strings at all... I don't feel the need to use them because they are there... But it means 1 bass suits all my needs, no detuning, and I love the neck profile.

6 wins for me! :)

Edited by pantherairsoft

4 for me is enough.

My experience of users who use more than 4 is that they spend their time noodling on the treble side above the 12th fret; if your gonna do that play guitar? Which is what I do.
Bass is for bass, although I agree the Low B is needed sometimes, in some settings.

I've only ever had 4s but my next is gonna be either a 5 or 6 as I could do with the extra strings because I'm regularly up the dusty end filling out spaces when the guitar is soloing (I don't do noodling, that's for guitarists :) ).
It would be better to be able to get the lower notes & higher notes together rather than having to compromise on the sound I'm after.

4 string, with the occasional dropped D for some songs. I do have a 5er but haven't gigged it or otherwise used it in anger - that B string just turned out to be an unusually long thumb rest. I should dig it out for a bit of a muck around, though.

Certainly never considered a 6 or above, for me the extended ranges seem more geared towards solo playing & stunt-bass antics, which doesn't interest me as a player.

Jon.

If I could stick to 4-string basses then I'd be delighted.

In practice, I find that playing almost exclusively in covers bands forces me to play 5-string for at least some of the time, in which case it just doesn't make sense to turn up at a gig with a 4-string. :)

If you're wondering why I "need" to play 5-string in a covers band, it's because there are several numbers where the singer's voice requires us to drop the key by anything up to a 4th. Instead of doing "[i]Gimme Some Loving[/i]" in G, we have to play it in D. Instead of doing "[i]Whatever You Want[/i]" in D, we have to play it in A. The bassline sounds completely crap played like that on a 4-string, but on a 5-string it sounds like the original, only ... erm ... lower.

I've been playing mainly 5-string basses for more than 20 years now. For a while when I used a 4-string for fettless, but since I got a couple of really good fretless 5-strings, the 4-stringers have hardly been out of their cases.

It's got to the point where I find the 5-string neck width the most comfortable for me, and even if I don't need the play any notes below open E the B string makes an excellent and very versatile thumb rest!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1039482' date='Nov 28 2010, 12:57 AM']My experience of users who use more than 4 is that they spend their time noodling on the treble side above the 12th fret; if your gonna do that play guitar? Which is what I do.
Bass is for bass, although I agree the Low B is needed sometimes, in some settings.[/quote]

My experience of people who exclusively play 4 string is they spend most of their time rabbiting on about their percieved superiority over people who play more than 4 strings...

If i had to choose right now like Shep i would go for a 6. However I play five string in one my bands that doesn't warrent the 6 string and i love playing 4 string too. Like Shep says its all about using the extra notes in the right place not shoe horn them in.

I am planning to go to a 7 string soon though :D as my guitarists are going to 8 strings. :) :) :lol:

[quote name='Dread Bass' post='1039778' date='Nov 28 2010, 11:45 AM']If i had to choose right now like Shep i would go for a 6. However I play five string in one my bands that doesn't warrent the 6 string and i love playing 4 string too. Like Shep says its all about using the extra notes in the right place not shoe horn them in.

I am planning to go to a 7 string soon though :D as my guitarists are going to 8 strings. :) :) :lol:[/quote]

Amen bro! The 6 string still has the same strings as the 4 string as well! I actually find mr Roscoe & RIM necks comfort than most 4 string necks due to the extreme thiness and flatness of the profile as having the extra width means a good luthier can do without thickness for structural support...

It was Oakbear at Nottingham Bass bash that found it amusing that I thought his 6 string Ritter had a thick neck (as they are considered slim in the 6 world)... Then he picked up my Roscoe. It was prob the slimmest neck in the room!

Depends for me. If I could, I'd do everything on a 4 string. However, after doing a lot of pit work recently, I've found that a 6 string (which I borrowed from a good friend) just makes sightreading tricky parts a lot easier because you remove the problem of position shifting all the time.

I've already started saving up the gigging pennies for a custom 6er as a result.

I hover between 4 and 5. I did play a 6 for some time as the band I was in at the time I was able to use all 6 strings while fitting in with what the band was about, sonically. After that band broke up, I really had no use in anything I was doing for that C string and it made no sense at all to have that extra bulk under hand, so I moved it on. 4 always feels like home and, if I'm honest, I could probably do everything I need to do on one but sometimes 5 is a nice change.

5 for me. 5 strings should be the new bass standard!!

Anything lower than a B would be too flappy to play & anything higher than a G is just pointless. (Are ERB players just frustrated guitarists? Just go get a baritone guitar if you need those high notes & want to play chords - leave the low zone to those who like groove!!)