Why become a member? ×

Great amp for rock/metal?

mikeselfinflicted

hey peeps!!!

In about 3 months time i should have saved about 3k its taken forever!!!!
I have a habit of runnig out and buying the first thing i see an that will NOT happen this time
i want something for pretty much the next 10 to 20 years!!! been looking at the db751 an a gs4x12
but would like something a bit unusual at the same time.

I know some guys who use mesa m6's an m9's that sound great but i'd like to find something a bit different.

suggestions?

[quote name='mikeselfinflicted' post='916145' date='Aug 5 2010, 04:18 PM']hey peeps!!!

In about 3 months time i should have saved about 3k its taken forever!!!!
I have a habit of runnig out and buying the first thing i see an that will NOT happen this time
i want something for pretty much the next 10 to 20 years!!! been looking at the db751 an a gs4x12
but would like something a bit unusual at the same time.

I know some guys who use mesa m6's an m9's that sound great but i'd like to find something a bit different.

suggestions?[/quote]

orange?

There is of course the Ampeg option... cant go wrong with an SVT sounds for metal and rock, which is probably why so many players endorse them. My amp and cab makes a superb sound combined with a Ric or P-Bass. If you've got the cash spare then id seriously consider an SVT2, as every time ive heard one (particularly Dood's old one) it had such a wonderful crisp rock tone.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='916188' date='Aug 5 2010, 05:07 PM']orange?[/quote]
yeah been thinking about them but then i hear that the clarity isn't al that i wanna be heard but not just through brutal power but this sounds incredible to me!! all though i do play with a pick.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAaknSQgAIg&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAaknSQgAIg&NR=1[/url]

Ampeg and orange are always a safe bet but cab wise depends a lot on what you want, small, big, light weight.

Personally
Orange AD200b
On top of an ampeg or orange 8x10

That's if I had no limits.
What I have and I'm trying to gain is
2x Orange Terror Bass
4x Barefaced 1x12
Massive sound!!!

My 2p's worth:

How about a Gallien-Krueger 2001RB Amp on 2 x Barefaced Compacts?
That combo would not only be loud as sin but would slice through the Rock/Metal guitars and be well easy to transport.
Also would be very different from most bassists set-ups!

Failing that, as mentioned before, an Ampeg SVT2-Pro through an Ampeg 8x10 cab is probably still the best Rock 'n' Metal tone I've ever heard. You just need the space and transport to keep it :)

Cheers,
Jon

Out of everything here, I'd go for the DB751 set-up with probably the DB classic black cab if you can cope with the size of it...but then everything in that league will be probably be big anyway.

Fits the 20 yrs and unusual criteria as well, IMO.

Matamp might be worth investigating.

[quote name='JTUK' post='916485' date='Aug 5 2010, 10:27 PM']Out of everything here, I'd go for the DB751 set-up with probably the DB classic black cab if you can cope with the size of it...but then everything in that league will be probably be big anyway.

Fits the 20 yrs and unusual criteria as well, IMO.

Matamp might be worth investigating.[/quote]

i love my db750 thru my ampeg 610!

If it was me the first thing I would do with that sort of cashmis get an Aguilar DB751 and two Aguilar DB112 Cabs. I never got on with Ampeg for some reason but that is a good option if they are your thing and they always seem to be popular and in fashion unlike some other amps.

Just a note though, almost any amp will suit Rock/Metal IMHO. I have seen some seriosuly heavy bands using Ashdown, Euphonic Audio, Markbass, Eden, SWR.... the list goes on. I suppose it comes down to whether you want a valve tone or not to start with. Just find something you like and make it work for you If you want to be heard maybe go for a cleaner sounding amp. I heard a guy in a Cardiff based hard rock band using an EA Iamp, great sound a cut through guitarist no bother.

Hey dude, if you have one... Go to your nearest guitar heven... Im talkin the sort of place that stocks 8x10s and ampeg and eden and ashdown and ya no all the gear u can think of. Try it all out. When your spending alot o money the guys (or girls) in a shop will be extreemly helpfull. Look for the setuo you like most. When i got my first "rig" i tried swr heads on ampeg speakers. Allsorts to find the right sound. I settled for an
Ampeg rig in the end. Heres a few makes you will
Probably like;

Ampeg
Gallien Kruger
Eden

Those are my top nicest rock sounding rigs!..

Orange-iv not heard and orange rig but id assume
Its "rock n metal" (probably more rock than metal!)

Hope this helps dude! Take your time. And really think about it! Good luck!

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='921207' date='Aug 11 2010, 01:57 AM']My Marshall can pack a mean punch ;]

but agreed, ampeg tend to be the "thing" for all rock and metal these days.

Hartke anyone????[/quote]
Yep, my Marshall DBS 7400 is extremely fine when it comes to punch, though I use it in a punk band.

From what I`ve read (and used one briefly at a rehearsal studio) the Marshall VBA 400 is a monster amp. Put it with one (or two) of the matching VBC 412 cabs, and Marshall Rock Heaven!

Purely as a response to a the question 'amp for rock/metal' I'd certainly give the GK amps a serious trial.

That isn't to say that had I the money that's what 'I'd' buy (Thunderfunk 750 or possibly the Glock Heartcore and another Aggie DB12) but then my needs are different to the OP. :)

This will probably attract a few raised eyebrows, but try the Peavey MK IV 400 series head for a while. Old school for sure (the same as Ampeg), but a surprising good amp.

Don't let the fact they are cheap put you off, the price in no way reflects the quality of these amps. I'd put mine up against an Ampeg any day :)

T

For my money, it´s gotta be either an Ampeg or a Marshall.

Ampeg valve monster like an SVT Cl with 610HLF should do enough damage!
Failing that, the SVT 4PRO has some seriously thumping sounds in there-perfect for old school and loud, especially run mon-bridged!

The Marshall VBA400 is the baddest and most rock-looking amp there is, especially if you use a pair of VBC 412´s as I do! pure thunder with a P Bass and even more so with a T Bird!!!

RAWK heaven!