Why become a member? ×

Packing it in.

TheButler

Hey folks,

Well, it has been quite some time since i've posted here last.

A lot has happened - from getting my dream rig, to touring the UK with the band. Unfortunately the latter is what put all the nails in the coffin. It was such a positively awful experience i wouldn't have wished upon anyone. Further to that, i've decided to concentrate on studying and i just can't juggle the two. Not to mention i've recently gone through an upheaval of moving house since. It has been a busy few months, of which i didn't keep up with very well. In fact, i've let a lot of people down and really disappointed myself in doing so.

I just thought i'd post because i'm in a bit of a situation regarding my gear. Do i sell it all, keep some of it or keep it all? It took me ages to get a Mesa 400+ and my rig sounded really incredible. I'm in need of money though, to kick start saving/investment. What is the best way to approach my situation? I'm only 20, experienced being number 58 in the German album charts, have made lots of good contacts and met lots of great people, not to mention i am quite sure i still have plenty of fuel in the tank. Help me good people.

Cheers
Jamie.

[quote name='TheButler' post='896958' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:00 PM']Hey folks,

I just thought i'd post because i'm in a bit of a situation regarding my gear. Do i sell it all, keep some of it or keep it all? It took me ages to get a Mesa 400+ and my rig sounded really incredible. I'm in need of money though, to kick start saving/investment. What is the best way to approach my situation? I'm only 20, experienced being number 58 in the German album charts, have made lots of good contacts and met lots of great people, not to mention i am quite sure i still have plenty of fuel in the tank. Help me good people.[/quote]

Looks like you're already answering your own question - you fully intend to leave the door open, so keep the gear. In the grand scheme of things the money you'll make on the rig will not exactly kick off a pension fund but on the other hand, when you need to find the money for new gear that will be really hard.

Keep your basses as they will always be the tool of your trade. If you are comfortable and at one with them if you sell them then its unlikely you will find something you are comfortable with for some time.... Amps, well they are always there..... Maybe use your contacts to kick start the next phase of your playing career, get into something that way maybe??

I definately don't think selling your gear to invest the proceeds is the way to go in the current economic climate. You might as well hang on to it and get over the downside of your touring experience (I wish I could say I had a similar problem) and see what happens. If you put the money in a savings account (or pretty much any savings vehicle) it isn't going to generate much interest anyway. If you have good gear it may well appreciate in value at a similar rate as any savings would anyway, and you still have the gear.

As you say, your only 20 - get on with enjoying your youth while you still have it

jamie..the first thing i will say is dont let the bad experiences of the band get in the way of your playing and enjoyment of music...the bad experience is not music..dont let your love for playing bass be damaged by this ( i pressume) politics ..

seems like quite a intense thing you have gone through...dont sell your gear...i would say have a bit of time to think about it, then make a decision...

keep it on the side line, unless you really need to sell for financial reasons..i was in dire straits a while ago...everything went but my bass gear...at the end of the day its your call, and its your passion...if it is your passion, dont let it go...

if you dont mind me asking what was the bad experience?

i was in a situation where i was being pressured to sell my Sei...i literally would have slept rough than sell my basses, thats how much i feel about them...sounds silly i know, but i have such a connection with my gear....remember gear is easy to loose but to save up for new gear takes a mile and a half

Edited by bubinga5

A lot has happened - from getting my dream rig, to touring the UK with the band. Unfortunately the latter is what put all the nails in the coffin. It was such a positively awful experience i wouldn't have wished upon anyone. Further to that, i've decided to concentrate on studying and i just can't juggle the two. Not to mention i've recently gone through an upheaval of moving house since. It has been a busy few months, of which i didn't keep up with very well. In fact, i've let a lot of people down and really disappointed myself in doing so.

I just thought i'd post because i'm in a bit of a situation regarding my gear. Do i sell it all, keep some of it or keep it all? It took me ages to get a Mesa 400+ and my rig sounded really incredible. I'm in need of money though, to kick start saving/investment. What is the best way to approach my situation? I'm only 20, experienced being number 58 in the German album charts, have made lots of good contacts and met lots of great people, not to mention i am quite sure i still have plenty of fuel in the tank. Help me good people.

Cheers
Jamie.[/quote]Getting rid of yer possessions(esp something you love doing)isnt a good idea,i done similar yrs ago with my bike(kwack zzr11 which my wife had bought me) cos id been made redundant and felt guilty cos we had the 6 boys and the car was shagged out....in her words it turned me into "a mumpy b*****d"and never solved anything domestic-wise long term......keep yer gear other solutions will arise.

I'd say , take a break! Whether it's 6 months or 6 years. You have alot going on at the moment,
and you're abit fed up with the music side of things. Sort the rest of your life out ,and I reckon
you'll be picking the bass up eventually and you'll enjoy it again.

If you can , try to avoid selling all your kit. Keep what you can. You may find it harder to track down stuff
at a similar price in the future.

Good luck with what you're doin'

I was on the phone to my parents yesterday and they pointed out that the couple of basses I've bought and sold have been better investments than their financial ones (My dad did used to work for a bank so can handle his money) Ask yourself is the gear going to devalue if you keep hold of it? Comparative to savings?

You sound like you've gone through some trauma. Take some time out, concentrate on your studies, uni/college is great and good things can and will happen.
If you connect the gear with the bad experiences and the band and you need to, get rid of it, it's only stuff, and can be replaced.

take care

Jamie,

Obviously I don't know you from Adam (nor you me), but I'd say take a deep breath, count to at least 10, and think carefully before you decide what to do.

I've just hit 50, and only picked up my first bass about 15 years ago. After a couple of years, circumstances conspired to make me take a break, but I didn't get rid of my gear, and then got stuck in again about 2 years ago. Even though I'm not particularly good, I get so much pleasure from picking up a bass and playing something, and wish I'd taken it up far earlier in life and devoted more time and effort to it. From what you say, you've done what I now wish I'd done, and I'd hate you to throw that away.

While dreams and aspirations don't pay the bills, all roads eventually reach a corner - just make sure you're ready for it and are certain which way you want to go when it comes along.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='896961' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:05 PM']Looks like you're already answering your own question - you fully intend to leave the door open, so keep the gear. In the grand scheme of things the money you'll make on the rig will not exactly kick off a pension fund but on the other hand, when you need to find the money for new gear that will be really hard.[/quote]

Indeed I'm with this!
Besides, no one knows what the future holds.

[quote name='tony_m' post='897050' date='Jul 17 2010, 01:39 AM']While dreams and aspirations don't pay the bills, all roads eventually reach a corner - just make sure you're ready for it and are certain which way you want to go when it comes along.[/quote]

...Sounds like a guitar technician I know of...
"Well, music certainly won't get you all the material things in life you want, but it certainly will give you a lifetime you won't forget".
Wise words, I never forgot them. Learn from your elders they say...this guy went on the dole just to play guitar in his youth!!!

Edited by Kongo

Gonna be devils advocate with this one and I say if you need the cash, flog your gear.
There's always more gear out there, and yeah your current stuff might be hard to replace, but it won't be impossible. And perhaps the experience of selling your gear and then (possibly) having to buy new stuff in the future might actually be a good experience or lesson for you in itself.
When I was 18 I swapped an EB-3 for a second hand Nady wireless pack worth about £50. Bloody stupid thing to do, but it sure as hell taught me to find out how much gear is worth before jumping in headfirst.....

But I'd also definitely say keep just one bass, just in case you fancy a noodle in the future. Just keep one in a case somewhere and forget about it, then its always there waiting in case you get the urge again.

Keep the basses and sell the amp if you don't think you'll be gigging for a while and need the money.
I agree that to invest it would be not so worthwhile but reducing debts is a very good idea so that would dictate whther to sell, for me.
You can always pick up a decent amp somewhere along the line..good basses less so.

Keep the basses to noodle around on for a while until you decide what you really want to do.

People forget touring for any lenght of time is just like any other job and can get a PITA like anything else.

Jamie,

Listen to me and the others on the forum and DON'T SELL THE GEAR!!!!

Sure take a break and re-charge the batteries but when you feel ready to play again , and trust me you will, you will have everything you need to jump right back in again.

I would honestly advise you to keep with your music and if you have a chance to play pro then go for it. For me, and I am sure plenty of others on this forum we never achieved the chance to play bass for a living but would take it at the drop of a hat if the chance ever arose. The older you get the harder and less likely this is to ever happen. You are luck you have some of this so please don't just throw it all away. Grasp the opportunity with both hands and realise you really are lucky. Carpe Diem as they say.

Can I also just ask what was so wrong with the tour?

Cheers
Jamie.[/quote]

[quote name='tony_m' post='897050' date='Jul 17 2010, 01:39 AM']Jamie,

Obviously I don't know you from Adam (nor you me), but I'd say take a deep breath, count to at least 10, and think carefully before you decide what to do.

I've just hit 50, and only picked up my first bass about 15 years ago. After a couple of years, circumstances conspired to make me take a break, but I didn't get rid of my gear, and then got stuck in again about 2 years ago. Even though I'm not particularly good, I get so much pleasure from picking up a bass and playing something, and wish I'd taken it up far earlier in life and devoted more time and effort to it. From what you say, you've done what I now wish I'd done, and I'd hate you to throw that away.

While dreams and aspirations don't pay the bills, all roads eventually reach a corner - just make sure you're ready for it and are certain which way you want to go when it comes along.[/quote]

+1 from a 48yo who gave up for 25 years.

Sit tight and see what happens, life changes very quicky at your age, it goes feckin quickly at my age!!!

WHATEVER you do, don't get rid of the gear. You will only regret it. I've done that in the past and once you're feeling back into it you'll wish you'll have kept it.

It sounds like you need a break from bass, rather than packing it in, to get your life in order and for things to calm down a bit!

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='897156' date='Jul 17 2010, 11:03 AM']WHATEVER you do, don't get rid of the gear. You will only regret it. I've done that in the past and once you're feeling back into it you'll wish you'll have kept it.

It sounds like you need a break from bass, rather than packing it in, to get your life in order and for things to calm down a bit![/quote]
I had the same sort of experience, quit one band as they were too serious, then ended up in another which was equally serious, did a tour, and found out through all this, that music is my hobby, not what I wanted to do professionally. Even though before this, it was my dream, to do it professionally. So I "retired" for some 6 years, didn`t even buy any music - was the early 90s, so that could be a good reason anyway.

Got asked to join a band some years after, and refound my love of playing small local gigs, for fun, and have been back in bands ever since. Sounds like maybe you have the same feelings towards playing as I have.

And def agree wth all posts abt not selling yr gear - could be very expensive if, a few years down the line, you decide to get back into it. However, if you need the cash, I`d go with what others have said - pick yr favourite bass, put it away and keep it, then sell the rest. Flogging yr fave may be a further regret.

It would be interesting to know what happened on the tour to make you feel like this.But until then,I'm going to offer a different answer from nearly everyone else.
Maybe it would be for the best if you did sell some of your gear. If touring with your band was a dream,but in reality it made you feel low,then maybe music isn't for you. Maybe if you did sell your stuff you may get the urge to play again on a few years time and have more enthusiasm for it as a hobby.
If you leave your gear lying around untouched,you may come to resent it.It's difficult for me to say because I have never felt like I have had enough of playing....Situations,yes,but never playing.

[quote name='Doddy' post='897184' date='Jul 17 2010, 11:44 AM']It would be interesting to know what happened on the tour to make you feel like this.But until then,I'm going to offer a different answer from nearly everyone else.
Maybe it would be for the best if you did sell some of your gear. If touring with your band was a dream,but in reality it made you feel low,then maybe music isn't for you. Maybe if you did sell your stuff you may get the urge to play again on a few years time and have more enthusiasm for it as a hobby.
If you leave your gear lying around untouched,you may come to resent it.It's difficult for me to say because I have never felt like I have had enough of playing....Situations,yes,but never playing.[/quote]

I agree, Ive wanted to stop certain band scenarios but NEVER playing. In fact if I did want to quit a band it was just to move on to something new.

[quote name='TheButler' post='896958' date='Jul 16 2010, 11:00 PM']A lot has happened - from getting my dream rig, to touring the UK with the band. Unfortunately the latter is what put all the nails in the coffin. It was such a positively awful experience i wouldn't have wished upon anyone.
Cheers
Jamie.[/quote]

Touring generally is quite tedious. Tell us more. What kind of band are you in?