Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1314642' date='Jul 24 2011, 12:11 PM']...the Brasenose Arms in [b]a little village just north of Banbury[/b][/quote]
That would be Cropredy. [i]The[/i] Cropredy. Brasenose has an excellent rep and its a great place. I'd planned to swing by for your gig but herself cornered me into a stereotypically awful dinner party miles away in Bagshit, Surrey. :)

Glad it went well, though. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

Nightmare.

Ten minute setup for band that normally requires much more time. Power cut during setup means we have to forego a load of samples on an old sampler, as it takes a small eternity to boot. Lots of buzzing during first number & I discover that the patch lead from my wireless to my amp has decided to give up the ghost. Three synths boot up at correct pitch (-2 semitones) and one doesn't, but doesn't reveal itself until the third number - throwing everyone. Change bass for fourth number and check tuning during intro - looks fine with a couple of tweaks. Three minutes into song is first time I use D string, and find it is a semitone sharp. Realise that because I have only one cab due to time constraints, tuner is lower than normal & I didn't see the sharp sign because of viewing angle. Quick mental re-jig of fingering, but by now feeling well & truly jinxed. Retune again at song end, but now over-running due to power cut. Have to drop two of our most popular numbers. Last two songs go OK and we get some nice feedback, but we all know it could have gone a lot better. :)

Nice audience, hosts & soundguys though...

...and a lesson learnt for next time - keep it simple!

[quote name='jonsmith' post='1316004' date='Jul 25 2011, 05:38 PM']Nightmare.

Ten minute setup for band that normally requires much more time. Power cut during setup means we have to forego a load of samples on an old sampler, as it takes a small eternity to boot. Lots of buzzing during first number & I discover that the patch lead from my wireless to my amp has decided to give up the ghost. Three synths boot up at correct pitch (-2 semitones) and one doesn't, but doesn't reveal itself until the third number - throwing everyone. Change bass for fourth number and check tuning during intro - looks fine with a couple of tweaks. Three minutes into song is first time I use D string, and find it is a semitone sharp. Realise that because I have only one cab due to time constraints, tuner is lower than normal & I didn't see the sharp sign because of viewing angle. Quick mental re-jig of fingering, but by now feeling well & truly jinxed. Retune again at song end, but now over-running due to power cut. Have to drop two of our most popular numbers. Last two songs go OK and we get some nice feedback, but we all know it could have gone a lot better. :)

Nice audience, hosts & soundguys though...

...and a lesson learnt for next time - keep it simple![/quote]
OMG nightmare indeed. I really feel for you guys... but I had to have a wee laugh too though sorry. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1315954' date='Jul 25 2011, 05:03 PM']That would be Cropredy. [i]The[/i] Cropredy. Brasenose has an excellent rep and its a great place. I'd planned to swing by for your gig but herself cornered me into a stereotypically awful dinner party miles away in Bagshit, Surrey. :)

Glad it went well, though. :lol:[/quote]
Great people, great venue. Next time maybe, dinner parties allowing :)

First gig for the new funk band - at a party in a mansion in Wiltshire! Went amazingly well, had to extend move on up to a 25 min version and a couple of others too as people wouldn't let us stop!

Ended up 'borrowing' a boat and watching the sun come up on the local lake - good times!

Played the Bed Bar in Woking on Sunday night and what an amazing venue. Nice big area for the band to set up as well as a nice layout to the bar. The place also looks very cool as can be seen in the piccies. For me the gig was great as it was my first ever gig playing fretless which was always a dream for me. I also played really well as did the rest of the band and we went down really well. We will be back there again a few times during the rest of the year.

I knew it would happen one day. :P

Played last night in Matlock, went down realy well, packed venue, loads of them up and dancing and a really good gig despite one of the punters falling over a monitor at the end of the gig and knocking our female vocalist flying. :)

Then it happened.

I saw a bloke watching me very closley all night, so at the end of the gig he strolls over.

Punter "I notice you play a 6 string bass"
Me "That's right"
Punter "But the songs you play only warrant a 4 string"
Me "Not really, I use the bottom B string quite a lot"
Punter "But what about the 6th string"
Me "I use that quite a bit as well on some chord stuff"
Punter " I didn't see that"
Me " You wern't paying attention then, are you a bass player by any chance"
Punter "No, I just like bass, it must be really frustrating for you having to play what you play"
Me " Not really, I just play what the song requires, I don't need to play flash (like I could anyway :D)

Somehow I expected this at the end of the night, you could just tell. There was more, mainly about how I didn't use my second bass all night that was on it's stand, I told him I did use it for 5 song's, he said he must have missed it when he went to the bar for a drink. :lol: :lol: :)

Bit late but we had a solid gig at The Shed in Leicester on Wednesday night. Turn out was ok, an audience member recorded some songs on a phone and uploaded to Youtube. Quality is understandably a bit rubbish, really strange to see yourself playing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3NAenaS7Js"]Link if you're interested[/url]

[quote name='Johngh' post='1321374' date='Jul 30 2011, 03:23 PM']I knew it would happen one day. :P

Played last night in Matlock, went down realy well, packed venue, loads of them up and dancing and a really good gig despite one of the punters falling over a monitor at the end of the gig and knocking our female vocalist flying. :)

Then it happened.

I saw a bloke watching me very closley all night, so at the end of the gig he strolls over.

Punter "I notice you play a 6 string bass"
Me "That's right"
Punter "But the songs you play only warrant a 4 string"
Me "Not really, I use the bottom B string quite a lot"
Punter "But what about the 6th string"
Me "I use that quite a bit as well on some chord stuff"
Punter " I didn't see that"
Me " You wern't paying attention then, are you a bass player by any chance"
Punter "No, I just like bass, it must be really frustrating for you having to play what you play"
Me " Not really, I just play what the song requires, I don't need to play flash (like I could anyway :D)

Somehow I expected this at the end of the night, you could just tell. There was more, mainly about how I didn't use my second bass all night that was on it's stand, I told him I did use it for 5 song's, he said he must have missed it when he went to the bar for a drink. :lol: :lol: :)[/quote]

Haha - Where were you? I think we got the same bloke at our recent gig at The Temple Hotel (Matlock Bath).
Of course, it could have been a relative. Given the location, that's almost a certainty. :lol:

The last gig had it's ups and downs. Half way through the load in we had a cloudburst - nothing got too wet though as we were keeping an eye on the sky.

Soundcheck was very good, managed to get a good foh mix and the first set went really well.

Half way through the beer break as our background CD was on we lost one channel of PA - thought it was the power amp but turned out to be the desk. I took a foldback channel out and used that as a channel for the foh.

Cut the second set short by 3 songs but we were still well received.

Bar refused to give us a drink after the last bell and got asked for my autograph. - I'd rather have had a cold beer!

Chalk and Cheese........Friday night the Fox and Hounds, Walton on the Hill. New drummer whose had two rehearsals and he nailed it, brilliant stuff, good crowd and we played a storm. So today I decide to rack up my Trace pre-amp that I got a while ago into a 4u case that I've got with my power amp as we are headlining the Ash Music Festival, Ash nr Aldershot and I thought it would be better and safer for a quick turnaround. We'd already booked the guitarists step-father to play drums on this one and oh what a mistake that was! Despite gigging with us numerous times he just hasn't learnt a thing, we can have a practice at his house, sort songs out and an hour later he plays them totally different. So we are struggling through our set and all of a sudden my nicely racked Trace and amp gets knocked off my cab by a gust of wind moving the curtain side of the trailer we are playing on and it bites the dust on the floor. It's still making a noise but at the end of the song the roadie comes up as the sound has died out front, the bloody DI socket on the front panel has been pushed in and broken, so I rig up to a box he has and all is ok again. When I pack up I also find the lid catch has bent so have to gaffa it up to get it home. Fecking nightmare, problem is the drummer is married to guitarists mum and he can't say a lot but he was as gutted as I was at some of the gaffs and crap he was playing. So we buggered off and had a curry and a beer so feeling better now!

Somewhat disappointing gig last night.

The songs we played well sounded really good. Everything was helped by not having any PA issues like we had at our first gig. We had a guy on the desk and he set the PA up very well.

However, it was blatantly obvious we haven't practised together for the last 7 weeks. Some members of the band don't seem to have practised at all. Half a dozen songs were real car crashes. Also the place was virtually empty which was a little disappointing but not entirely surprising.

Generally a bit crap :)

Not posted on this bit for a while, gigging very regularly but coming up to summer break (so we can all fit in hols).
Really going well everywhere at the moment but places could be a bit more full.
Amazed at how tight we have become over the last few months.
Main reason for posting is that the last 4 gigs I have used my 95 Yamaha Attitude Special.
It looks naff, but it's the bass I have been looking for all my life :)
It's bloody wonderful.
Karl.

Wedding gig last night with a brazilian jazz guitarist depping for our usual guy who was at a festival. Worked out really well and the new jazzier sound suited the occasion.

Had to play 'I know you got soul' for about 20 mins as there was an IMMENSE soul train going on and they would have murdered us if we'd stopped! :)

We've had a great weekend and we're really starting to make some headway. 3 gigs this upcoming weekend, woo!

We played a 21st on Friday to a packed pub which went really well - They even paid us an extra £50, nice!

Then, last night we played for 30 minutes in [url="http://www.fortperchrock.org/Fort_Perch_Rock/Home.html"]Fort Perch Rock[/url], a big marine fort in New Brighton on the Wirral.

They had a big line array PA, nice foldback, lights, a PROPER GIG! I'm sure we've never sounded as good, and just being able to turn up with your instruments (and a few bits and bobs) is gig heaven.

Here's our cover of Many or Horrors by Biffy recorded on an iPhone, so the guitars aren't quite as massive as they were in the flesh! Oh, try to ignore the mistakes our guitarist makes towards the end, only the 2nd time we've played it live!

First one back for a while. Tight, but the crowd was the usual MEH until we finished then wanted more TCHAH!

Rig sounded nice to me.

Need to check the basses for dings for a quick change when I had to grab the fretless I had already primed someone with and throw the fretted back at them. Just manager to get the f/less round my neck and cancel the mute on the tuner for the next song by the skin of my teeth.

Also need to work on some more everyone plays/knows them songs as some of the lesser known ones get blank stares however good/well played they might be :)

Forgot to add my combo sounded good last night and was ear splittingly loud even at less than half volume. Bit disappointing really as I've been GASing for a new rig and the 'not being loud enough' and 'it's not got the right sound' were the two reasons I was using to convince the house bank I need a entirely different set up. Oh well.

Another bike rally - in Felixstowe this time .

Decent sized marque , really good PA and 2 men supplied . Been used at other gigs done by us , and good guys and good sound (a rare bonus theses days)

Cranked up the rig , and the amp was breaking up just nicely on some numbers . Again thinking of a CA-9 maybe for these sized gigs , just worry about my poor little amp taking such a battering :)

Decent money , not too late , no PA to pack up , tasty burger van on site , good crowd response - what more can you ask for on a Friday night . And to think I get paid for poncing about , and people to think that we're great . Worth all the hasstle sometimes , ain't it ?

A bit sh*te but rewarding.

sh*te because,

Being my last gig with a classic rock outfit (that the drummer had booked for us) we walked in to find the audience had an average age of 65. They certainly weren't up for Judas priest, UFO and Thin Lizzie.

Rewarding because,

I met two really nice people on the same bill. A sax player called Patsy Gamble who's from Gloucester, and the singer / guitarist from the 70's Prog rock band Blonde on Blonde who now does a solo acoustic set. Genuinely nice people. Made the night worthwhile.

First gig in a few weeks last night. Had a few feedback issues with the singer early doors, but soon rectified.

2 songs into second set, guitarist missed a song on the list, luckily he starts himself so we all managed to follow, we chuckled about it, then 2 songs later, drummer fell into the same trap, luckily again, he starts off himself, so we got away with it again!!

Me?......I just hit a few bum notes here and there and tried to forget about the huge blister I had on my middle finger!!

All in all, decent gig.

Well again, got through a dep relatively unscathed - not so sure about Silvefoxnik's walls as it was just down the road from his :lol:

Now, why is it that you can play along to songs to try and get them to sink in, but the minute you go and play them with a band it al just escapes you :) I 'spose because you are playing along to the record and a fraction behind to get the queue.

No set list and nothing was really announced (like that would have helped, probably not the way I felt I was playing) but songs wer being started & I just had to catch up. Got through most of the time, but watching the rythmn guitarists left hand most of the night which helped [i]most[/i] of the time.

Hadn't realised there were three songs in the first set all called, or abbreviated to, "Breathe". So, "what's the first song?" says I "Breathe" says they ....and of course I picked the wrong one :)

Was supposed to be at a wedding evening do for a mate, but hadn't realised when I commited to the dep. Luckily both in the town I live in, so went to the evening do with MrsW & the car loaded, met up with my bands vocalist, drummer & their wife / g/f and slunk of aroung 7:30 leaving MrsW with them. They brought her down to the gig around 9:30 and then as the wedding do had broken up (and a police van turned up - too many youngsters not holding drink it was thought) they all came back around the break and stayed to the end. So there they all were like the X Factor or BGT judging panel, and me bricking it.

Still seemed to go OK, no real train wrecks that we didn't manage to plough through regardless, and once again no one died.

EDIT: Other interesting point, for me at least, I didn't use a pick all night. First gig I have done finger stylie in I don't know how many years!! m99.9% of my playing life I have used a pick, so that was different, but it just suited the stuff I 'spose.

Edited by WalMan