Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Trendy café venue. Played facing the bar with no-one directly in front. Audience sitting out wide to left and right. 2 songs in hipster beardie barman says the bands too loud. We have a tiny 400W vocal PA so it's not Glasgow Apollo volume. Later on someone bought a coffee and I announced that the machine was very loud and I can't hear my bass. HB just looked blank.

Last night's gig... set up and sound check. Problem... no sound. I use a reasonable pedalboard for this band (RATM covers band)... I bypassed it and there is sound. Hmmm, another band I'd just go without but without the various overdrives, wah and phaser it would not sound right. So I start to skip pedals to troubleshoot while the band looks worried at me.

I could hear a very faint 'pop' when I slapped a string hard, just that.

I traced it to the second to last pedal in the chain: my EBS Multicomp compressor. It's a shame as I like it a lot, but at least I still get all my sounds on tap. It's also a shame as I had two until a week or so ago when I sold my spare one.

So I ripped it off the board, put it aside and we played.

I did the first set without it. Then during the break I had an 'inspiration'... you see... sometimes the knobs on the pedals move a bit despite being protected in the case. Maybe while packing, cables etc... So I was having my beer in the 'green room' and I went out to fetch the pedal. Brought it back into the light and... yup. The gain knob was at minimum... :rolleyes:

Under pressure I did not even think of checking the level of the pedal...
I hope I remember this one next time!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1480164690' post='3182126']
Last night's gig... set up and sound check. Problem... no sound. I use a reasonable pedalboard for this band (RATM covers band)... I bypassed it and there is sound. Hmmm, another band I'd just go without but without the various overdrives, wah and phaser it would not sound right. So I start to skip pedals to troubleshoot while the band looks worried at me.

I could hear a very faint 'pop' when I slapped a string hard, just that.

I traced it to the second to last pedal in the chain: my EBS Multicomp compressor. It's a shame as I like it a lot, but at least I still get all my sounds on tap. It's also a shame as I had two until a week or so ago when I sold my spare one.

So I ripped it off the board, put it aside and we played.

I did the first set without it. Then during the break I had an 'inspiration'... you see... sometimes the knobs on the pedals move a bit despite being protected in the case. Maybe while packing, cables etc... So I was having my beer in the 'green room' and I went out to fetch the pedal. Brought it back into the light and... yup. The gain knob was at minimum... :rolleyes:

Under pressure I did not even think of checking the level of the pedal...
I hope I remember this one next time!
[/quote]

Sometimes it's the most simple things, I've set up before now with no sound and spent a good ten minutes swapping out leads etc before realise I hadn't plugged the damned speaker in!!

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1480165209' post='3182135']
Sometimes it's the most simple things, I've set up before now with no sound and spent a good ten minutes swapping out leads etc before realise I hadn't plugged the damned speaker in!!
[/quote]

I have done that too! :lol: cable plugged in at the amp hanging there but not connected... it took me a few minutes to realise that one. So yesterday it was probably the second thing I checked. :lol:

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1479651183' post='3178112']
We played at The Red Lion in Brackley last night, just down the road so nice and easy. Good venue, decent crowd, went down well. We played well apart from a couple of drummer-getting-lost incidents. Horrible tone from me though, wooden floor making the amp boomy and hard to control. I eventually got it sounding about right after a few songs following lots of between song tweaking. Really feeling it this morning, I'm the oldest (47) in a band full of 30-somethings and I'm finding gigs harder and harder to get over the next day. Does there come a time when the negatives of being in a band outweigh the positives?
[/quote]
I've played there a heap of times and it's one of the few places I've played where a gramma pad or similar makes a huge difference. The lady that used to book bands would insist on hosting a table of her mates because she thought of herself as a bit special at the front which used to reduce playing space a bit. Thankfully her and her husband aren't there anymore.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1480165580' post='3182142']

I have done that too! :lol: cable plugged in at the amp hanging there but not connected... it took me a few minutes to realise that one. So yesterday it was probably the second thing I checked. :lol:
[/quote]
Actually a little bit OT but I had two TC speakers in my rig and I had just bought a B1xon multi effects. Set up a load of sounds at home and got to my first gig with it to find it was the most nasally nasty sound ever. A friends band came up to do a few in the break and I was disgusted with it. Went to pack up at the end and still disgruntled I realised I hadn't plugged in the 2x12 on the bottom. 2x10 on top, all midrangy and right in my ear and no bottom end at all!! Oh well, time for the funny farm I reckon!

New venue for us last night.

Smallest stage in the world (only used half a drum kit, half the lights), awkward load in, dep geetard who had a really off night, i had a 3 feet square area to stand motionless for the whole gig (horrible, makes you so achey next day), punters telling us its either too quiet or too loud - at the same time!

3 songs in and i'm wondering how we can cut it short and get away pronto for the first time ever.....

Nice landlady and crowd though - they really got it going.

Anyway, played the full set, struggled to pack away with no space, barman came up with our cash and also a pint pot stuffed full of money - turned out they had a whip round as they thought we were so good!!! There was an extra £200 in there on top of our normal fee. And the landlady is gagging to book us for a load next year (thats a dilemma, i hated the set up but the people were brilliant)

We thought we had a stinker - just goes to show you never can tell...

Edited by Mudpup

A weird, weird and somewhat interesting gig.

Played with an originals band that I play with regularly and everyone fell apart. I had to hold it all together and it was really quite a chore. Stressful setting up, the singer kept forgetting her parts (even though she has written the songs and has been playing them for years), pianist couldn't be heard, guitarist was ill, saxophonist got dropped in one tunes that he didn't know of, drummer kept dropping tempo, you name it, it all went mad. The venue was rather nice, though! Darned shame because I've played some of my best gigs with those guys and gals.

Bonus points for my Genz head looking like a beast ready to feast upon it's next victim.

[url="http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/chunkymunky921/media/15192727_10158089609895643_6441025132556496686_n%201_zpsqybupwsu.jpg.html"][/url]

Last night turned into a really good gig, it was a last-minute booking for a pub, filling in for a cancellation.

Didn't have high hopes for it when we arrived, particularly as we'd not played there before, but it turned out great. We were able to get the crowd going and dancing, so not a great payer, but great fun; may have picked up a wedding booking off the back of it too.

Back to the same town tonight for a social club, will probably see some of the same people there again.

Down in deepest Wiltshire (last night though not been to bed yet) for another gig with Bob Bowles. As our drummer quit last week, we had a dep tonight, a most excellent young chap from Wroughton, who was a pleasure to play with. Unfortunately not going to be a regular as he is off on tour with his band soon. All went well and was well received. Nothing now for a couple of weeks.

Had a fantastic night - one of those nights where everything just clicks...easy loads in, great in-house engineer, the whole band played well and we had a fantastic response with loads of very positive comments afterwards, the AC/DC trib we worked with were a great bunch of guys and easy to get along with. Just what we needed after the last one. One more gig this year and then I can put my feet up until mid-January and just play a few acoustic rock jam nights at a local venue 3 min walk from home!

Edited by DaytonaRik

Odd night really but worked out well. Sound checked them in the drummer singing song check my wireless sender broke, so went to cable. A few people in who were on their way to leaving before we started. Did a couple of songs to the barmaid and security guy. A few other people drifted in but they were appreciative. Had a half time at 10:30 and started the second set with a bigger crowd. The crowd kept going and after 11:30 was starting to get full. We were told to stop a 12 but got an extension to 12:30. By 12 the place was heaving and everyone was dancing.
Packing up a woman came up for a card for her wedding, and a couple of guys came up to ask us about playing at their events - everyone was really positive and happy. Was supposed to be the last night at the pub but the sale isn't through yet so if it doesn't go through he wants us back before Christmas.

So excellent night, although we could have just started at 11 :D

Not last night but the night before, (wasn't able to write yesterday for being wiped out) was amazing. Cant even describe how much sweaty enjoyment was had at a sold out Half Moon in Putney.

The awesome Preston Heyman joined us for a few numbers, which is always a pleasure. And on the same day as Kate Bush released her new album too.

An evening I shan't forget for a long, long time.

I played the Fighting Cocks in Kingston last night. Lots of fun, although apparently the sound guy walked out for five minutes because he was offended at the content of one of our songs. Sheesh.

I mean, we've all gone out on a blind date with a girl called Zoe, only to find out it's a guy, haven't we?

Last pair of gigs before our drummer goes to India for a couple of weeks. Both in venues that really weren't big enough for us so the bass bins were out of the question both gigs. Last night was bizarre, had to play in the lounge of a pub that was essentially an extension built on to another building. Like playing in someone's front room with a bar stuck on the side. Once we were set up there was room for about 4 tables of people. At least it didnt take many to get some atmos going. Good feedback after and a guy who came to check us out said he'll try to get us in at another nearby venue we've been looking at as it has good reviews and bigger than last night's. Agency job so reasonably well paid but we wondered if the booker thought the band contacts (vox/gtr) were still gigging as a duo rather than a 4 piece. Having said that there was a poster in the gents suggesting an 8 piece soul band had played same venue. Mind boggles, maybe horn section was outside? :lol:

Last night was cracking, I had low expectations of the venue, having done one there earlier in the year which died on it's arse, but couldn't have asked for much more from yesterday.

The crowd were lukewarm to start with, but we brought them along and they were loving it by the end of the night. Afterwards the club asked us to play their NYE in 2017, looking forward to more dates there next year.

Saturday night saw us opening for Hunderground - a classic rock band with a difference.The difference being that the songs are only classics IF you grew up in Hungary in the 1980s. Basically the entire Hungarian population of Nottingham were in the house. Some set adjustments were required - we ditched the Indian, English and Jewish derived material and stuck to the Hungarian tunes (know your audience). This necessitated some bass-free acoustic material sandwiched between the noisier songs that I've already learned and that did take some of the momentum away from my point of view. The rest of the band were therefore more warmed up than me as we entered the home straight and (lets say) I now know what my upper speed limit for playing Steve Harris style galloping triplets is. Great atmosphere though, a good reception and we got served Goulash before we went on. I call that a good gig.

Triainwreck of a gig at the Shed in Leicester. Good venue, decent PA, amiable sound guy, what could go wrong? The two local headliners pulled out on the day, taking any likely midweek audience with them, leaving the three out of town acts to play to each other. As the highest billed of the original 5, we were forced to headline and yet again somebody needed a bass amp. No parking outside the venue so had to resort to NCP and the headline slot pushed me into the 4+ hours bracket leaving me stung for 15 quid at the end of the night. Icing on the cake. Why am I doing this to myself? I can now say I headlined The Shed, I suppose.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1480684405' post='3186391']
Triainwreck of a gig at the Shed in Leicester. Good venue, decent PA, amiable sound guy, what could go wrong? The two local headliners pulled out on the day, taking any likely midweek audience with them, leaving the three out of town acts to play to each other. As the highest billed of the original 5, we were forced to headline and yet again somebody needed a bass amp. No parking outside the venue so had to resort to NCP and the headline slot pushed me into the 4+ hours bracket leaving me stung for 15 quid at the end of the night. Icing on the cake. Why am I doing this to myself? I can now say I headlined The Shed, I suppose.
[/quote]

Had a fairly similar experience a few years ago on a Glastonbudget audition gig there. Freezing cold Sunday night, three Leicester acts with their own audience, us from Nottingham could only muster up a few hardy souls to travel. Local bands fans left after mates had played leaving us with the soundman and doorman to play to, pretty much. At least we got a few useable videos for YouTube out of it but it was a tad soul destroying. And no we didn't get the Glastonbudget slot - how good you were considered was based on how many fans you brought, it seems.

Our last gig of the year last night at The Bell in Bicester, one of our favourite places to play. Really good night, we played really well, monster tone from my new Rockinbetter. Lots of 'up for it' punters, couple of office Christmas pub crawls all ready for a beer, a dance and a sing. A great way to bow of our what has been a good years gigging for us.

I'm absolutely knackered this morning, I'm finding that the whole gigging experience increasingly takes it out of me, and I'm aiming to scale it back a bit next year.

Oh well, it was one of those nights. Unbeknownst to us a bar down the street from the bar we played was closing, it was their last night open.

They were disolving their inventory and all drinks were $1.00.

Needless to say we didn't have much of a crowd. We usually pack this place.

Blue

Absolutely heaving pub in Arundel, candlelight festival on during the evening so the High St (where the pub is) was shut. Arundel is usually a real pain as far as parking goes, but we had passes for entry to the High St for unloading etc. and as the event was pretty much over security chap said we could just leave our cars there. Easiest time parking ever. We played well, the crowd were really enthusiastic (drunk?) - we even had people dancing on tables at one point! Highlight of the evening for me was a very nice young lady called Hannah who came and gyrated in front of me while her friend recorded it on her 'phone after we had sung Happy Birthday for her. Hot, sweaty, full, a couple of free pints and a reasonable payer. What more could you want. a great night. And of course we have been rebooked for next year.

Great gig at the Mary Tavy Inn near Tavistock. Always a good one due to two band members being from the village. We had several people come from far and wide, who seen us in the past. By far and wide, I mean Cheltenham and Bournemouth! That's just to see us, not as an add-on!
A good time was had by all!