Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1486940243' post='3235803']
A double helping of top gigs for us - first of all Friday we had a gig at a new venue with a dep drummer. Although it sounds like recipe for disaster it couldn't have been further from the truth! A good crowd who were ready for every Thin Lizzy track we could throw at them, and a return booking later this year.

Last night saw a return to The Greyhound in Beeston and another cracking night was to be had. The young sound tech Richard certainly knew his stuff and just like the night before, the enthusiastic crowd loved it from the first note to the last. Again, a return later in the years is penciled in

After a few weeks away from the live scene over Xmas this was just the return we all wanted.
[/quote]

Very cool, I love 2 and 3 gig weekends.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1487008783' post='3236229']
Sounds like a cool fulfilling gig Dave.

Blue
[/quote]

Thanks, Blue, it was. Like your post above, it was one of those 'hot gigs' where everything comes together and the place just takes off. Takes me a while to come down enough to get some sleep after that though!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1487008602' post='3236226']

It happens to most of us, all gigs are not great. It's a part of the business. You play your best regardless , get paid and go home.

All it takes is one "hot gig" and you'll feel great again

Blue
[/quote]

I know you're right Blue but on this occasion it was unfortunate that I'd played the same venue the week before as a dep (albeit in full stage wear so I wasn't recognised second time around) and had a blast. Think it's given me the impetus to do something about it.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1487009579' post='3236242']

Thanks, Blue, it was. Like your post above, it was one of those 'hot gigs' where everything comes together and the place just takes off. Takes me a while to come down enough to get some sleep after that though!
[/quote]

Same for me, I'm still high off of our New Years Eve gig. From the first note everything came together. It's magic.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1487055582' post='3236531']
Same for me, I'm still high off of our New Years Eve gig. From the first note everything came together. It's magic.

Blue
[/quote]

Ha, yes, us too, we changed gear during the NYE gig and have not changed back, only two gigs since NYE but both have been 'special'. Got another 5 or 6 in the next few weeks, really looking forward to them.

The Genz, with it's eyes lit up, must've been hungry. Looks almost a tad menacing.

[URL=http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/chunkymunky921/media/Miscellaneous/15192727_10158089609895643_6441025132556496686_n%201_zpsqybupwsu.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/chunkymunky921/Miscellaneous/15192727_10158089609895643_6441025132556496686_n%201_zpsqybupwsu.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Our first gig of the year last night, at MFA Bowing Alley in Banbury, opening for AC/DC tribute band Dirty Jack DC. Bit of a weird place for a gig, but it was fundraiser for our local hospital which is facing major cuts.

I used DC's bass players rig, TC 500w head with 2x10 and 2x12 cabs, which sounded wonderful with my Stingray, and meant I could travel light and amp-less. The first couple of songs were a bit shaky (our first gig since December) but a few songs in to what turned out to be a 1hr 40m set we were cooking. I was pretty pleased with my tone (although I couldn't get a good monitor mix) and we played well. Lots of good feedback, slaps on backs and drinks offered afterwards, very happy!

Next stop The Punch Bowl in Warwick in a couple of weeks.

Shallow front to back stage, which means my microphone has to be on the floor, but because I had a pedalboard for keys I had to be back, which means at full stretch the microphone was too low. Loads of digital noise on my new battery powered effects, so couldn't use the B3, then the wireless kept cutting out, then the voicelive I got for chorus effects on a song died just before the song I needed the effect on - all these effects due to the battery. Sound squealing because of the Voicelive means I couldn't be in the monitor.
Using a new android app for the XR-16 meant I got some of the mixing levels wrong, and took a while to use that, couldn't use the iPad because it was doing the chords for the footpedal, which briefly didn't work before we started as it was assigned to the wrong thing. The guitarist changed his amp, which sounds much nicer but couldn't really hear it as it wasn't miked up.
The sound as I was in a corner was really bassy, I wanted to turn it down but the drummer wouldn't let me!

However, the gig itself was excellent, the crowd loved it, the additions of the footpedals as a pad for songs when the solo makes the song seem empty really works, the guitar sound was great, my first time singing solo went fine, it was really heaving and everyone was dancing and singing along, and actually got upset that we only did three encores and we are invited back.

Sometimes the hassle seems like it might take over but the gig pulls it back.

Pub gig at one of our regular haunts last night. First gig with new guitarist, turns out he lives minutes away from the venue so he had quite a few family and friends in to see him. I think that actually made him more nervous, but on the whole he did really well, seems to have a real consideration for the song and what sounds/tones work best for each tune. Good, responsive crowd, who seemed to love every song, which is always nice to see. From a personal point of view, my latest set up is by far the best I've had. Used the Attitude LTD II, through either the EBS Sheehan or Ashdown Hyperdrive depending on song, GK MB fusion 500 and into the Barefaced Big Twin 2 it sounds monstrous. For the few songs that require super clean tone I think the Bongo works better so I've set up the B channel on the Fusion for the Bongo now. Also managed to score a cheap second hand Pedaltrain mini recently so have put tuner, drive pedals, channel switch pedal onto that, which makes life easier. Can't wait for next gig now!

3rd gig in as many weeks and a trip to The Old royal Oak Burton upon Trent. Cracking night - loads of patch club members in and a punters 50th birthday to boot, took the wireless walks out into the streets, set up an impromptu 'B' stage with the wireless mic at the far end of the pub - loads of crowd interaction and a great time had by one and all.

If people ask why we gig, get back at three in the morning and ache from the loading/unloading then this is the reason!

Not great, we played with a new drummer we're breaking in and to be honest it will be an up hill battle. We don't rehearse enough. Also we're not going to have a permanent drummer. The band decided we will rotate 3 drummers so we can book properly.

Oh, the crowd didn't seem to notice we we're struggling

Blue

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1487511275' post='3240309']
Shallow front to back stage, which means my microphone has to be on the floor, but because I had a pedalboard for keys I had to be back, which means at full stretch the microphone was too low. Loads of digital noise on my new battery powered effects, so couldn't use the B3, then the wireless kept cutting out, then the voicelive I got for chorus effects on a song died just before the song I needed the effect on - all these effects due to the battery. Sound squealing because of the Voicelive means I couldn't be in the monitor.
Using a new android app for the XR-16 meant I got some of the mixing levels wrong, and took a while to use that, couldn't use the iPad because it was doing the chords for the footpedal, which briefly didn't work before we started as it was assigned to the wrong thing. The guitarist changed his amp, which sounds much nicer but couldn't really hear it as it wasn't miked up.
The sound as I was in a corner was really bassy, I wanted to turn it down but the drummer wouldn't let me!

However, the gig itself was excellent, the crowd loved it, the additions of the footpedals as a pad for songs when the solo makes the song seem empty really works, the guitar sound was great, my first time singing solo went fine, it was really heaving and everyone was dancing and singing along, and actually got upset that we only did three encores and we are invited back.

Sometimes the hassle seems like it might take over but the gig pulls it back.
[/quote]
Which wireless were you using?

The Maze in Nottingham again on Saturday. It was supposed to be an acoustic set so our guitarist and bassist just used their acoustics plugged in. It didn't seem to make a massive difference except the bass was really muddy and the soundguy was clearly struggling to control feedback

Anyway, the room was packed and singing and dancing, one of the best responses we've had I think, which was nice!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1487670664' post='3241609']
The Maze in Nottingham again on Saturday. It was supposed to be an acoustic set so our guitarist and bassist just used their acoustics plugged in. It didn't seem to make a massive difference except the bass was really muddy and the soundguy was clearly struggling to control feedback

Anyway, the room was packed and singing and dancing, one of the best responses we've had I think, which was nice!
[/quote]

I've played a handful of 'acoustic' gigs... I just take an electric, but maybe take a natural finish one rather than a bright red to bring less attention to it ;) Sounds much better. A fretless with nylon tapewounds sounds particularly good in a setting like that if you want to keep the 'acoustic vibe' more, but a straight electric generally works well cutting down treble.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487673577' post='3241644']
I've played a handful of 'acoustic' gigs... I just take an electric, but maybe take a natural finish one rather than a bright red to bring less attention to it ;) Sounds much better. A fretless with nylon tapewounds sounds particularly good in a setting like that if you want to keep the 'acoustic vibe' more, but a straight electric generally works well cutting down treble.
[/quote]

Yeh, I'll make sure the bassist uses his electric if we ever do another. It just seems a bit silly really. If they want acoustic acts, they should book them. The promoter actually asked us to do our usual thing but use an acoustic guitar just for appearances. Weird

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1487674415' post='3241658']
Yeh, I'll make sure the bassist uses his electric if we ever do another. It just seems a bit silly really. If they want acoustic acts, they should book them. The promoter actually asked us to do our usual thing but use an acoustic guitar just for appearances. Weird
[/quote]

yeah... it is a bit silly. Let's book an energetic band that people go to watch and jump about and dance... and ask them to play with acoustic instruments instead... :P It can be done but it's a bit odd. We've been asked a few times, however, and what they generally -but not always- meant was "we cannot allow a lot of noise"... so a sensible drummer with brushes and a slightly reduced kit if there's space issues too (we're not Rush ;), and watching the volumes has worked in those situations. Sometimes they really just wanted the look of acoustic instruments, which would plug into their PA. Ah well...

Played our third gig with my band on Saturday and loved every minute. The crowd were frwaking awesome. We play our own stuff and dropped in one cover which went down a storm. There were people dancing and pogoing all night and we were even asked for an encore. Venue was The 13th Note in Glasgow, a small but sweet venue. Great beer on tap!

Anyway, if you fancy a listen I recorded this using a teeny wee mic at the back of the room into my wee Boss Micro BR.

https://soundcloud.com/sulasula-1/sula-sula-live-13th-note-180217

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1487693055' post='3241895']
yeah... it is a bit silly. Let's book an energetic band that people go to watch and jump about and dance... and ask them to play with acoustic instruments instead... :P It can be done but it's a bit odd. We've been asked a few times, however, and what they generally -but not always- meant was "we cannot allow a lot of noise"... so a sensible drummer with brushes and a slightly reduced kit if there's space issues too (we're not Rush ;), and watching the volumes has worked in those situations. Sometimes they really just wanted the look of acoustic instruments, which would plug into their PA. Ah well...
[/quote]

I don't mind doing actual acoustic gigs where I have to stay sober and play (drums) quietly with little or no PA support. That's a really challenge and sounds great! But these "acoustic" but not really acoustic gigs are a PITA

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1487674415' post='3241658']
[/quote]

Welcome to my life. It happens to us regularly because we play 'folk derived' music. Promoters assume that we can just unplug for their benefit, because they are too lazy to find an actual acoustic band (rare birds) but realise that yet another acoustic duo is boring as hell for the audience. I usually take a Fretless, but there's several songs that either don't work at all or are extremely hard to nail like this and it always feels like we're playing on someone else's terms. I never have a good time doing it and it usually gets me trawling through joinmyband the following morning. In the worst case, we were booked and then told (the day before) there's no amps allowed(!). Er. How's that going to work exactly? With the bass? (Can't you bring an acoustic?) or with any brass or reed player who will drown out every acoustic stringed instrument in the room? I didn't even bother showing up and the guitar player confirmed he was totally inaudible.