Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

7 hours ago, scalpy said:

25th birthday of our local theatre tonight, we were the after party in the bar. The main event overran which was great as a) gave us more time to set up and soundcheck and b) we didn’t have to play as long afterwards! Crowd arrived eventually so we launched into them and kept them on the dance floor. A good one tonight, enjoyed it.

IMG_3934.jpeg

Nice FBT PA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My blues rock trio Toredown finished off the evening at the Ipswich Weekender last night, set in the wonderful old docks at the heart of Ipswich.  Big stage, lights, sound all supplied, marvellous.  Parked just round the back of the stage, too.  The band before us over ran slightly, we didn't get to do our fiull hour set but played well to a decent and appreciative crowd.  Nice to have more space than our usual pub gigs!  First outing for my newly acquired Gibson SG - loved it.

Link to some vid recorded on an iPad and put of FB this morning, a Lonnie Mack song called Ride The Blinds, and a rare picture of me looking rather serious.

https://fb.watch/nfKGl0iQC3/

image.thumb.png.92c92fcd0c582ec8e31abec11d6e445d.png

• Like 20

Pub gig in Bristol, last minute filling in for a band who had dropped out 

Absolutely no need for us to be there. The pub was heaving with rugby fans watching about 500 screens, including one  cinema sized at the back of the stage.

The game finished, the place emptied, we went on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 9

44 minutes ago, Paul S said:

My blues rock trio Toredown finished off the evening at the Ipswich Weekender last night, set in the wonderful old docks at the heart of Ipswich.  Big stage, lights, sound all supplied, marvellous.  Parked just round the back of the stage, too.  The band before us over ran slightly, we didn't get to do our fiull hour set but played well to a decent and appreciative crowd.  Nice to have more space than our usual pub gigs!  First outing for my newly acquired Gibson SG - loved it.

Link to some vid recorded on an iPad and put of FB this morning, a Lonnie Mack song called Ride The Blinds, and a rare picture of me looking rather serious.

Good to see a classic Gibson being used.

Dave

• Like 3

Gig was actually Friday night, but hey ho.  Butchers Arms in Inverurie, and it was a decent night.  Started off slow, but we were grateful to a couple of lassies who were determined to dance and make the most of their evening.  It got busier in the second half and ended up being a decent show - decent enough for me to do some audience bass machine gun strafing at the end of a couple of songs.

We did have one guy at the bar indicate that the singer needed turning up - right at the start of a song and continued to signal as such and get annoyed that we weren't doing anything abotu it.  Sure, man, I'll just get right on that with my third hand 🙄

G&L Tribute LB-100 was the weapon of choice.  Amp behaved itself.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Gig was actually Friday night, but hey ho.  Butchers Arms in Inverurie, and it was a decent night.  Started off slow, but we were grateful to a couple of lassies who were determined to dance and make the most of their evening.  It got busier in the second half and ended up being a decent show - decent enough for me to do some audience bass machine gun strafing at the end of a couple of songs.

We did have one guy at the bar indicate that the singer needed turning up - right at the start of a song and continued to signal as such and get annoyed that we weren't doing anything abotu it.  Sure, man, I'll just get right on that with my third hand 🙄

G&L Tribute LB-100 was the weapon of choice.  Amp behaved itself.

That's so annoying when someone in the audience does that, even worse when it's a band member who really should know better. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Pub gig in Bristol, last minute filling in for a band who had dropped out 

Absolutely no need for us to be there. The pub was heaving with rugby fans watching about 500 screens, including one  cinema sized at the back of the stage.

Lots of bad memories there, big screens big games and our band never seem to mix well. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yeh done a few of those. I always wondered, surely the staff know that is how it works, why are they spending their own money on getting a group that people don't want to see, is it that much cheaper than the license to screen TV?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good to see a classic Gibson being used.

Dave

My thoughts too, am very tempted by one of these.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Played the Terrace in Uplands Swansea depping with Up To Eleven, dep guitarist too. Three long flights of stairs and small stage (so keyboard player was semi-detached to the side!)

Basschatter @Franticsmurf came along and made some generous comments about my sound. Here's a piick of my head to prove how low I had my master volume!

20230923_231447.thumb.jpg.5a667bc7018371362c5d205575bb7fb9.jpg

Was not packed for the first two  set (American style gig!) but numbers went up and down and they were noisy and at least some of a very youthful audience danced and sang to most numbers.

We played a ragged and rapturously received version of 500 miles, followed by Don't Stop Believing-which we thought we nailed but got no reaction at all!

One very drunk girl wanted a Miley Cyrus song and spent ages trying to get the guitarist and singer to agree to doing a song they hadn't heard of. Then spent two songs holding her phone up in front of them, presimably exoecting them to learn the lyrics while playing someting else...1

Third,late set it filled right up and we had a big bunch of very amicable but wrecked lads dancing in front of us. Minor stage invader dealt with by his mates!

So an entertaining night even if I didn’t get home until 2am, very stiff...

Pics courtesy of @Franticsmurf 👍

UptoEleven4.jpg.3ff0f01861284d857ad262ed2774846e.jpg.b98900a6743537ba099dcd81065dd973.jpg

UptoEleven3.jpg.cdba17595117ef3ee3867bd457a3697f.jpg

UptoEleven2.thumb.jpg.1a90d235799a46ea7a940385c8734773.jpg

• Like 17

39 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Basschatter @Franticsmurf came along and made some generous comments about my sound. Here's a piick of my head to prove how low I had my master volume!

It was a great sound - fitted in nicely between two distorted guitars - punchy and lovely low end without being overpowering. I can't believe the settings on your amp. 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Played rhythm guitar with a rock’n’roll band at a social club. It was the bass player’s last gig with them following some unspecified falling-out with the BL and you could have cut the atmosphere with a knife. When it came time to load out I had to dodge the pavement pizzas in the car park - how delightful!

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Early evening gig at the local Billy Bootleggers bar. In-house PA and engineer (who knew what he was doing). This is normally a strange gig as it’s mainly passing trade, with the bar located in an up and coming suburb of Newcastle with several alternative venues all within a stones throw. Yesterday we had several groups of live music followers in from beginning to end which made us feel right at home. We played really well even if I say so myself, one of those tight loose kind of gigs and we all enjoyed ourselves. Just about to load the van for gig #2 of the weekend with my other band. 

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

My thoughts too, am very tempted by one of these.

They are worth exploring, Lozz.  Like you, I had always been a dyed in the wool P bass type of fellow and these feel and sound very different to a Precision - they sit in a different place.  In the context of my particular blues rock band the Gibson sound fits in the very best of all basses I have tried.  Which is, sadly, quite a few :D  In addition to this SG I have a 70s Eros EB-3 shorty plus a Gibson Les Paul Jnr DC and there is very little to choose between them.  Possibly this SG is a bit ruder.  :) I think the 2 pickup ones are better for the sound I am looking for as you can dial in some bridge which gives more bite - compared to the flabbier EB-0.  That said the LP Jnr DC has only the one pickup but it is nearer the bridge so you get that anyway.  I can imagine a lot of bands where they get lost, though, and you'd probably only find out by trying one for a while. 

Two off-putting things.  They can be prone to a bit of neck dive.  A grippy strap and/or lightweight tuners is all that is needed.  The dreaded 3 point bridge.  Some models don't have it - there was a period when they came with a Hipshot as standard but I think they are back to the 3 point again.  It is an easy, if not cheap, swap - I changed the LP Jnr DC bridge to a Hipshot, I might change the SG, not sure.  I can live with the 3 point but prefer the Hipshot (or Babicz).  Top strap button position can also be an issue (Ok that makes three things) but there are ways around that.  

If you are going to the SE bash, if I end up going, and if there's room in my lift, I'll bring it along if you like.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Ebony, if you please :D 

I thought so. Was just waiting on your reaction :hi::laugh1:

So what does it sound like live and is it an easy bass to play. ? OK you've answered it already to Lozz. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I thought so. Was just waiting on your reaction :hi::laugh1:

So what does it sound like live and is it an easy bass to play. ?

Dave

I find it very easy to play.  The upper strap button is on the heel of the neck and, being graced with a generous middle region, I find it does tilt the bass a bit forward but not terminally.  Slight neck dive on this one but the strap takes care of that.  I find the neck and short scale very much to my liking. Weighs 7lbs on the nose.

Sound - if you do FB here is a link to a song where the bass comes though.  Nice and growly.  EQ has a bass and treble 11 o'clock, upper mids 1 o'clock, low mids 2 o'clock, all with a slight push from a mild drive. This is on a TC Spectradrive straight into the desk.  Strings are TI Flats :) 

https://www.facebook.com/Octaneblues/videos/841825534314028

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Played the Terrace in Uplands Swansea depping with Up To Eleven, dep guitarist too. Three long flights of stairs and small stage (so keyboard player was semi-detached to the side!)

20230923_231447.thumb.jpg.5a667bc7018371362c5d205575bb7fb9.jpg

What speaker did you pair it with?

• Like 1

Played a Small stage in the local entertainment complex. Moving crowd that ebbed and flowed, was a pleasant enough way to spend a couple of hours. I walked from my house in ten minutes with just a bass and multi fx and used the small ashdown combo that was provided for on stage monitoring. It was fine. Made me quite fancy owning an amp again. All in all…it was fine :)

IMG_8643.jpeg

• Like 10

Chaos. Have you ever tried to play bass, sing and catch PA cabs at the same time? Drunk women everywhere. Falling all over the place. Talking borax, flirting with remnants of slaver and sick on their chins and generally acting like they’d had a blow to the back of the head. One particular woman kept on falling into the PA and into the singer/guitarists pedals. She had to be picked up and steadied countless times. In the end between songs, my brother who was in the audience and fed up with having to sort her out and asking her to behave, shouted at her in full view of the audience“ “Look, if you don’t fekin sort yourself out, I’m going to fondle your bottom”. 😂😂 She looked at him hiccuped and said “ I beg your pardon?” He shouted back “You heard”. She about turned and cleared off and stood at the bar. Much to the relief of everyone else. You could see the look of relief in folks faces. My brother got a few smiles and pats on the back too 😂😂 Some folk will probably think he shouldn’t have said that but believe me, he saved her from getting punched and kicked as she’d upset a good number of folk by that time. Anyway, we’re playing there again next year but we intend to take a barricade. Seriously!

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

We supported 80s Goth legends Ghost Dance last night at the fantastic Chapter 22 Roots and Records.  I've been a fan of GD since Sixth Form and was looking forward to this. The venue is a record shop that also sells plants and I spent the evening of my 50th there. We had the call a couple of weeks ago and jumped at the chance. A beautiful, intimate setting. The soundman was really on it. The venue made us feel most welcome and even presented us with a Black Succulent afterwards and everyone was so welcoming and friendly. Our set was pretty slick - it didn't feel it at the time but watching back footage afterwards, we were really on it! A near perfect night.

48218db9-608c-4aa3-8525-062e8488d8cc.thumb.jpg.93e97e24d58a8dbf73ff44645b133773.jpg

I rock the mic like a vandal!

IMG_5223.jpg.11dea616abe1f400441f85194d40f3ce.jpg

Our band with Ghost Dance and the promoters.

IMG_5312.jpg.f8189d28b2a885e4d633ea204fff6fcc.jpg

I might be the first person to post on this thread to get a plant as a bonus for playing! 

• Like 18

6 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

presented us with a Black Succulent

IMG_5312.jpg.f8189d28b2a885e4d633ea204fff6fcc.jpg

I might be the first person to post on this thread to get a plant as a bonus for playing! 

If you are interested, that is Echeveria agavoides that has been spray painted black.  New growth will be grey-green :) [/plant nerd]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2