Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

8 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Another gig in the Huddersfield locale for the glam lads last night. Great stage and boozer but the crowd was on the thin side. Fortunately the sound was great, we had a bit more time than usual to perfect the foh sound. Due to this it was a pleasure being able to nail the backing vox as the monitor feed was great.

The land persons were happy despite the lowish turnout and look forward to a return. More local gigs for us over the next few weeks and trying out some new PA which should be a bonus. 

Time of the year I think, folk are trying to squeeze the last out of the summer and with the upturn in the weather, this effect is amplified. September onwards will hopefully see a return to better turnouts.

• Like 3

Last night was at the Dog Inn in Water Orton.  As I pointed out to the others, we can boast something that the top rock bands can't - we know everyone in the audience by name. There was a small group of (I assume) locals who were dancing around in the first half and then went into the other room. I wandered in there when we were most of the way through the second half and tried to get them in, but unfortunately one of them thought I was inviting him to sing. Oh well.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

A trip out for Fine Lines to the Moseley Folk and Arts festival. It was a lovely setup, with two stages set next to each other, with acts palying at alternate times. 

The back stage area was lovely, with everyone being very friendly and helpful. The stage crew were great and they put a lot of effort into making us feel relaxed and worked hard to give us a good front of house sound. The on-stage monitoring was a bit compromised, as they were using a single desk to cover both FOH and stage, so a lot of the eq-ing was set for what sounded good out front. Also, having to line check whilst another band was playing meant we couldn't fully judge what we needed.

I decided to reinforce my (self-proclaimed) position of coolest looking member of the band by wearing sunglasses whilst playing. However, almostvas soon as we started playimg, I realised what a fatal mistake this was, as I struggled to see the fretboard, meaning I spent the majority of the first song with them in my mouth 🤣

There were a couple of minor niggles with our playing, which obviously were annoying for us, but overall the crowd seemed to enjoy our set and we avoided any stray bottles.

One big plus, was that they seemed to have dedicated a caravan backstage entirely for my use...

FB_IMG_1693765383551.jpg

20230902_180635.jpg

FB_IMG_1693765373209.jpg

FB_IMG_1693765394232.jpg

FB_IMG_1693765420612.jpg

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Wilson_51_ said:

We played on Friday night in Baldock. The sounds was surprisingly great considering it was in the pub garden.  Went direct to the PA via my pedalboard with amp and cab sim pedals and into the fx return of the supplied back line for monitoring. Nice to not have to take the ampeg with me and didn’t actually

miss it.. too much. 

Lots of good feedback from people which is always nice. 

IMG_1108.thumb.jpeg.d16049d92c9b67a25dea0f8fc231df1c.jpeg

Let me know if you lot ever make it anywhere near this neck of the woods.  I'll bring the hairies down out of the woods - I played your track Way Down Below to a few of my pals and they'd be well up for some face-pulling.  We don't get out much, but for music like that we'd make an exception!

• Like 2

Lovely couple of gigs this weekend. Yesterday A very friendly village pub in Suffolk who laid on a marquee and barbecue and very sensibly scheduled us to play between and 5 and 7pm. It was like finishing work at lunchtime and going home early. Which was nice. Flattering comments about both band and bass player from the very receptive crowd. 

IMG_2541.thumb.jpeg.1ed8990d1c54f0c7362178e8a2e1afc4.jpeg

Today was Bnatural Festival in Bildeston. Band on top form, plug in and play and another early finish. I’d forgotten how good an SVT sounds (so long as someone else carries it) on stage The sound engineer says he also has an 8X10 but it was a bit much for the stage today. With 4 subs out front, and the SVT and 1x15 classic cab my bass sounded huge.

IMG_2543.thumb.jpeg.10e31bdae46d27182387de3165e988c2.jpeg

IMG_2545.thumb.jpeg.d9e0ad21359b0e9a43898e4b831136de.jpeg

• Like 13

20 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Good gig with punk covers band Emergency Exit in one of our fav venues The Dreadnought in Bathgate. Wasn't exactly a big audience but we had dancers almost from the start. Feedback was good and at the break i was told by the singer that a regular band reviewer was raving about my playing. He then approached me and said he had seen the band many times but was usually too busy dancing about that he just enjoyed the music and never really gave a lot of thought to what the bass was doing but tonight he was in on his own and said he was gobsmacked how good the bass playing was. He compared me to John Entwistle and i made it look as tho it was just routine and relatively easy. 

Using my Sandberg MarloweDK into Ampeg SVT7 Pro and Mesa SW210/115 cabs. Have to say i was fair pleased with the bass tone tonight. I could hear every note nice and clear. I had recently changed the strings to Elixir 45-100 nickels. That additional increase in D & G gauges seemed to make quite a substantial difference to the volume across the strings. I really like those Elixirs.

Dave

Cool, Dave, I had good monitor sound yesterday too.

Daryl

• Like 1

On 03/09/2023 at 03:32, Old Horse Murphy said:

Really disappointing one last night. I depped with our singer's other band and we played a holiday camp in the Forest of Dean. 

Arrived to set up at 7 and were told we had to wait until the bingo had finished which we did, and as soon as it did finish the bingo caller left with about 90% of the punters and in truth the evening never recovered. 

The band was pretty sloppy with missed cues, untidy starts and endings etc. I really felt quite low after it and considering I was the dep, felt the other band members were really just going through the motions. Makes me feel grateful for the band I'm in. 

We've all had those type of gigs. Usually the common theme is, live music was merely a poorly planned after thought. 

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 3

On 30/08/2023 at 07:02, Bluewine said:

We're playing an acoustic gig back at The Harley Motor Restaurant this Saturday, 9/2  5:00-8:00.

Between Maple Road and our acoustic offering it's been a busy and fun Summer 

Blue 

FB_IMG_1693346552556.jpg

Good gig,small but appreciative crowd. 

Four piece Acoustic gig. Jenny was great with the crowd. Great low stage volume and I could hear my signal loud and clear. We provided sound and lights. I was happy with my playing. A little over a hundred bucks in tips.

Not the best pics, but it's all I got.

Blue

20230902_184459.jpg

20230902_163258.jpg

20230902_184310.jpg

20230902_161426.jpg

• Like 15

A few gigs from the past weeks... 

Wigfest cancer charity, Somerset, backing a great new young artist, Ruby Polli, Weston super mare, a bohemian birthday party for 'Ian in wonderland!', Burnham on sea, party in the park... 

A lot of fun had by all... glad to be involved 😊

FB_IMG_1693297809345.jpg

FB_IMG_1689112529887.jpg

FB_IMG_1688939289788.jpg

FB_IMG_1685905435968.jpg

The day after each.. made them all 'last nights gig!' 🤔

Edited by bottomfeed
  • Like 14

Off The Tracks Festival on Saturday night. We were on at 7:15 and the tent looked pretty packed to me. I'm loving my ridiculous drum kit but need to get a Headsticks head for the bass drum. Loads of compliments after the set and apparently we sold plenty of merch. Ace gig!

I personally feel the addition of the cowbell for a tasteful 23 hits during the hour long set is a game-changer. I asked everyone who came up to tell me how great the set was if they liked the cowbell, but not a single person had noticed. 

WhatsAppImage2023-09-03at11_46.47(1).thumb.jpeg.e5a35f1f141fc57c2302cc85235c2665.jpeg

WhatsAppImage2023-09-03at11_46_52.thumb.jpeg.86d2194bceb72a93850a3e9f23c144ee.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

My second bluegrass gig, one set on Saturday and another on Sunday. I used my Yamaha SLB 200 again, this is a "liberal" festival where EUB's are allowed for bluegrass but all the other instruments are strictly acoustic the sound guys mic each one and really know their job, excellent sound. Both sets were around noon so the crowd was a bit thin but they have speakers all throughout the campground/trailer park so you can hear the bands anywhere on the property. This festival has been running for years and features a mix of country and bluegrass bands with 8-10 bands each day over the four day Labour Day long weekend.

Two different players from the last gig so we had a quick rehearsal beside the leader's motorhome before we hit the stage. Perfect weather and a great atmosphere at the festival and I did my first bluegrass vocals and my rather thin nasal voice fit right in, at least it's good for bluegrass.😊 Lots of fun! 

P1060341 2.jpg

P1060344.jpg

• Like 14

Played with The 77s at The Bedford in Tonbridge wells last night.

Boiling hot and we had to wait for the rugby to finish before we could play, which meant we didn’t start till 10.30.

Turned out they only had a music licence until 12 and so we didn’t end up playing for very long.

Shame as it was a great crowd and the pub was packed. It was our first gig in a month and I made a few mistakes but nothing to major.

Great pub and the staff were really helpful and accommodating.

my Boss WL20 wireless  wasn’t working properly, which I think was due to the compact space and lots of people so I had to use a cable.

all in all a good night.

• Like 10

A 50th birthday party at a venue that we’ve played previously. A slow start as folk were really just wanting to chat and catch up, all the dancing took place within our last 20 minutes or so. Not happy with the set up as the keyboard player and drummer took up all the rear space and I had to have my rig right next to me, up front. Needless to say, I could barely hear anything that close, just a bassy flub (it sounded good out front during soundcheck), which I don’t like and I have raised this as an issue going forward. Folk came up and said how good we were and deserved more audience participation, but I know that it was a sub par performance, again and that, if they thought that was good, my previous bands would have blown them away. I miss the technical and professional abilities of those guys.

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Not happy with the set up as the keyboard player and drummer took up all the rear space and I had to have my rig right next to me, up front. Needless to say, I could barely hear anything that close, just a bassy flub (it sounded good out front during soundcheck), which I don’t like and I have raised this as an issue going forward.

I get this a lot with one band and I have been trying to get them to try IEMs but one of the guitarists “doesn’t like having anything in his ears”. I went as far as buying a cheap system from Gear4Music but so far it has not been tried by the band. However, I used it once to hear myself better, taking the feed from my amp’s DI out (as it was a small venue and I wasn’t going into the PA). It worked OKish using one earbud, so I could hear the rest of the band with my other ear. Obviously, much better if everything is going into the PA and you can use both earbuds.

Despite the set-up annoyances, I’m sticking with this band because the other guys are really good musicians and I think we sound great.

• Like 3

Probably the wrong thread as the gig hasn't happened yet, but we're playing at the hottest sweatiest pub in Aberystwyth tonight, I'm playing bass and doing sound, I'll leave home at 6.30 and get to bed about 2 all for fifty quid. Would i give it up? Not a chance! 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jo.gwillim said:

Probably the wrong thread as the gig hasn't happened yet, but we're playing at the hottest sweatiest pub in Aberystwyth tonight, I'm playing bass and doing sound, I'll leave home at 6.30 and get to bed about 2 all for fifty quid. Would i give it up? Not a chance! 

Have a good one tonight.

Dave

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jo.gwillim said:

Which pub? Back in the 80s that title would have fitted the Angel's back bar...

• Like 1