Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Singer decided that we were leaving out too many big songs so rearranged the set list to start the night off big. It went well. Packed venue (the Horn, St Albans) with a great crowd singing and dancing along to everything. Sound was fantastic, just one of those nights where even the minor things that go wrong somehow work out right. 

• Like 14

Last night went well. Was a private gig, 40th birthday party for o e of Mrs Bassfinger's closest friends so the band agreed mates rates for her, and then I played for free.

Good crowd, venue were most helpful which isn't always the case.

I did my mando turn for Losing my Religion and our rhythmist covered bass for that and I sang for our hard rock version of Common People, which went down well.

Only issue was I forgot my IEMs. I nearly went home to get them but decided to just man up and used the floor monitors. Wish I hadn't as my ears are ringing this morning, not good. Won't be doing that again!

Edited by Bassfinger
Typos
  • Like 10

On 28/02/2023 at 15:42, martthebass said:

We once got a Mark's and Spencers sandwich and a bag of crisps (sorry - chips Daryl) at a gig in Accrington.  It was the least they could do as we were on the wrong side of the Pennines 😉

They have M&S that far north? 😁

• Haha 3

We played Krakatoa again (swear it’s the only venue that we can get now!) in Aberdeen last night. 

we were supporting a band called kuro from

Glasgow. 

Decent night! Used my QC into the house markbass and 8x10 cab with my Status S2. Great tone! 

We got great feedback from folks and had great fun on stage. Minus my vocalist stepped back onto me and went through the ceiling. Thought his life was flashing before his eyes. 

8C16C1EF-F7C6-48D3-A3C1-6A1464D04689.jpeg

15C98230-F1E4-4D5E-878B-8345C45A117D.jpeg

3FB6A4DD-52D3-40AA-AEEC-7AC4C4C4CABF.jpeg

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Only issue was I forgot my IEMs. I nearly went home to get them but decided to just man up and used the floor monitors. Wish I hadn't as my ears are ringing this morning, not good. Won't be doing that again!

I used these at February’s jam night to prevent having ear ring the following morning (which I’d had after the previous one).  They seemed to work pretty well.  I could hear people talking; and I could hear the band and myself onstage, but didn’t have ringing ears the next morning.   Using IEMs at the jam night would be nigh on impossible I think.

https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/alpine-musicsafe-pro-earplugs-black

Edited by Simon C
  • Like 1

Our gig at a private party for friends had to be cancelled when 2 of the band got covid.

Party went ahead and it was a good night altho the karaoke singers need to work on their vocals.

I was driving so just stayed for 3 hrs and headed home again.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Played my last gig last night. Fittingly, and like most of the others I’ve played over the years, to a half-empty pub that suddenly filled up and came alive for the back end of the second set. 

It’s my decision to quit and I certainly won’t missing the load ins and outs or unloading the car at 1:30 in the morning….

….. but I’m still not sure how I feel about it. 

It was surprisingly emotional saying goodbye to the band. Even the guitarist.

:scratch_one-s_head:

• Sad 11

Third gig of a busy weekend. First time in this venue. All went well, appreciative hard drinking crowd.

We finished , started to pack down, barmaid tells me her boss told her music should go on to 11.30. We started our second set a bit earlier, I tell her, you had your two hours. She's adamant. The gig was from a booker and we didn't want him to get poor feedback so we did a somewhat stretched encore. 15 minutes of Born To Be Wild anyone? The drummer was on the wrong page so it literally restarted three times. 

• Like 6

Played a large music bar in town last night which is a regular gig. I thought we were sounding pretty good and the guitarist had a great sound (he's changed from a Les Paul to a Telecaster and the sound is now much clearer than before). He was playing through the venues Orange Valve head and a 4x12. In fact after the second song I actually shouted over to him what a great sound he had. That was probably the wrong thing to do, as it fueled his egotistical guitar brain and he went straight for the master volume!

At the break the sound engineer came up to us and said that one of the barmaids (it's a big bar with a capacity of 900, over two levels, and she was working at least 50 feet away) had complained that she couldn't continue working as the guitar was so loud. He said the guitar sounded fantastic but it was the loudest he had ever heard a guitar being played at that venue and the guitarist had to turn down before he sent the bar staff deaf.

For the second half the guitarist turned way down and I had to listen to him through the monitors (which sounded, in comparison, like a ukulele  played through a cheap transistor radio). Next time he plays I've told him to bring his 15 watt Fender pro junior, which is what he usually plays through, and he'll not be able to make anybody's ears bleed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Our 2nd gig of the weekend was last night in a pub in Essex. They've banned hazers and smoke so we travelled light and just used the couple of par bars the pub has installed - it was a nice quick load in and out without all our usual lights and lasers. 

When we arrived it all felt a bit quiet and we were fearing a dead duck evening. There was only about 15 people in there as we kicked off the first song but after about 20 minutes it had filled up and was packed out at the start of the second set. You play nose to nose with the crowd in here and it can get a bit lively.

Last time here we had to stop at 11.45 as there was a fight kicking off mid crowd with a couple of cokey chavs being idiots. The security team here aren't as good as they used to be and have become a bit slow on the uptake. You can smell when it's likely to get a bit silly but they can't seem to pick up on it.

No fights tonight but we had a youngish girl sneaking round the side and trying to hit the cymbals and getting too close to mains leads and stuff - we had to stop mid Sandman to tell her to hop it or we wouldn't start again. Drinks were going everywhere due to some pretty frantic dancing front of house later on. Another drunk woman was going on at me to give her the singers tambourine to play with - I kept saying no but the singist gave in, said yes and she immediately hopped up next to us and proceeded to do some odd booty wriggling routine and knocking the drum screen rather precariously. I booted her back to the crowd side of the monitors with her precious tambourine. We have a few more there later this year and we're definitely asking for some barriers at the front or a security guy for the second set.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 9

Stonking  gig last night at my local club. We usually get a few friends turn up when we play this place so we asked the proprietor to open 15 minutes early at 6:45 so we could load in and get a bit of a sound check. Alas the punters had other ideas and it was standing room only by 7:15. Amazingly we did manage to get a decent sound - suspect I was slightly on the loud side as I was using my Fallout bass which is a bit hotter than my Mustangs. 

A guy and his wife traveled from Dewsbury (about 40 miles) to see us and brought a big bag of party wigs which he dumped near the stage - wasn’t sure what this was about...then on the second number he got up and danced his heart out and got all the punters going, distributing wigs for them to wear. It was like having a 70’s glam Bez 😂😂😂

All in all another great night, next week we venture into the dark lands on the other side of the Pennines so we’ll see if our run of great gigs continues.CFCC935D-83D8-4DDD-BF4A-5E76BE21E55E.jpeg.4543783f0a58938cacaf47c7432956a3.jpegF713E063-01A5-4B55-9E68-33E4C3A54EA3.thumb.jpeg.33b0bcdb7c802c49c75a98a4ece6faa8.jpeg8AC0BF74-1656-4CE2-8DEC-B915C2D4AD9D.thumb.jpeg.6a7c04235780b6c15d1480973077d11e.jpeg

• Like 16

26 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Stonking  gig last night at my local club. We usually get a few friends turn up when we play this place so we asked the proprietor to open 15 minutes early at 6:45 so we could load in and get a bit of a sound check. Alas the punters had other ideas and it was standing room only by 7:15. Amazingly we did manage to get a decent sound - suspect I was slightly on the loud side as I was using my Fallout bass which is a bit hotter than my Mustangs. 

A guy and his wife traveled from Dewsbury (about 40 miles) to see us and brought a big bag of party wigs which he dumped near the stage - wasn’t sure what this was about...then on the second number he got up and danced his heart out and got all the punters going, distributing wigs for them to wear. It was like having a 70’s glam Bez 😂😂😂

All in all another great night, next week we venture into the dark lands on the other side of the Pennines so we’ll see if our run of great gigs continues.CFCC935D-83D8-4DDD-BF4A-5E76BE21E55E.jpeg.4543783f0a58938cacaf47c7432956a3.jpegF713E063-01A5-4B55-9E68-33E4C3A54EA3.thumb.jpeg.33b0bcdb7c802c49c75a98a4ece6faa8.jpeg8AC0BF74-1656-4CE2-8DEC-B915C2D4AD9D.thumb.jpeg.6a7c04235780b6c15d1480973077d11e.jpeg

Superb guys. Loving the Glam

Dave

• Thanks 1

Our return to The Coach House, Paignton on Saturday night was well received, although it could have been just a bit busier. Still, those there were very complimentary.

77B2BF06-CAED-4A3C-B101-E254E9037A15.thumb.jpeg.cc166d29f52f60186e85903552f17a57.jpegF57A8884-19EF-45A8-A99F-B9677DBED2AB.thumb.jpeg.62e87578d62cfe6891d5e616a57b8c54.jpegSecond outing for the Stealth Bongo, and absolutely loving it. Also, second assault on my headstock by the guitarist’s Pete Townsend windmill impression during Won’t Get Fooled Again (as per last week, and first Bongo outing), and still no dink.

• Like 12

Top night at the Bowling Green, Horwich.

Busy all night with a decent dancefloor from the first song, moving to packed from about halfway through the first set. By the middle of the second set we were moving mic stands backwards and I had to give a few dancers a gentle nudge to prevent them from joining us onstage. Punters were very well oiled and right on the edge of crashing into us, but it was all out of enthusiasm.

With such restricted room, the Ibanez SMS 1005 came into its own. Our singist, who has become used to avoiding the bass headstock on cramped stages was most grateful for the headless.

I've mentioned before that this is our last year, and we're all milking every ounce of fun from it. Combine that with a great crowd and we found that extra 5% you get sometimes. Best we've played in quite a while. I still can't take a decent selfie though!

IMG20230304234833.jpg

• Like 9

Not one but two shows over the weekend. My little 80s goth duo loaded up the car with our surprisingly large amount of equipment for a duo and headed back out to The Barge in Honeystreet...

IMG_0871.jpg.11a43fc571c99980e6aaef6a36fe2dbd.jpg

I was pleased because I had also decided to dust down my Thunderbird and bring it back out of retirement. In addition, my Blackstar amp would be getting its first outing in a live setting.

IMG_0866.jpg.9962c3a7fc64a91d3a940b0f1bb312af.jpg

The Honeystreet set was a lot of fun. We took the slightly ambitious punt on doing the Jim Steinman produced Sisters of Mercy classic "This Corrosion" as a duo. Against all odds, I think the audience picked up on us meaning business so it went down well. 

IMG_0934.JPG.52f00f571a282fa9defe0ebe6a4d78a2.JPG

Saturday was an old school friend's 50th and having cleared half the pub with the loudest intro music ever (must check the levels next time!) - from the Lost Boys soundtrack's Cry Little Sister, we set about playing a load of original stuff from our forthcoming debut. Playing to the few people who were really getting into it, we then slowly won the crowd over with a few well chosen covers. We then dropped the kit back home, went for a curry and drank our own bodyweight in lager. The highlight of my night was being approached by a guy off his head on cocaine who told me I "dressed like a pimp". Apparently now if I have any problems in Devizes, he will sort them out for me. To be honest, I wasn't anticipating any problems but it's great to have that one in reserve. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Not one but two shows over the weekend. My little 80s goth duo loaded up the car with our surprisingly large amount of equipment for a duo and headed back out to The Barge in Honeystreet...

IMG_0871.jpg.11a43fc571c99980e6aaef6a36fe2dbd.jpg

I was pleased because I had also decided to dust down my Thunderbird and bring it back out of retirement. In addition, my Blackstar amp would be getting its first outing in a live setting.

IMG_0866.jpg.9962c3a7fc64a91d3a940b0f1bb312af.jpg

The Honeystreet set was a lot of fun. We took the slightly ambitious punt on doing the Jim Steinman produced Sisters of Mercy classic "This Corrosion" as a duo. Against all odds, I think the audience picked up on us meaning business so it went down well. 

IMG_0934.JPG.52f00f571a282fa9defe0ebe6a4d78a2.JPG

Saturday was an old school friend's 50th and having cleared half the pub with the loudest intro music ever (must check the levels next time!) - from the Lost Boys soundtrack's Cry Little Sister, we set about playing a load of original stuff from our forthcoming debut. Playing to the few people who were really getting into it, we then slowly won the crowd over with a few well chosen covers. We then dropped the kit back home, went for a curry and drank our own bodyweight in lager. The highlight of my night was being approached by a guy off his head on cocaine who told me I "dressed like a pimp". Apparently now if I have any problems in Devizes, he will sort them out for me. To be honest, I wasn't anticipating any problems but it's great to have that one in reserve. 

Eventful weekend plus you now have a bodyguard for when touring. :laugh1:

You definitely have a cracking image @Cat Burrito the hat does make you stand out from the crowd based on pics you've posted. Keep it up sir. 

So how did the Blackstar amp and T'bird do.

I've seen a few of the Blackstar bass amps as venue backline amps now and wondered how they stand up at a gig.

Dave

Dave 

Fantastic gig for us. The bands first trip to Aylesbury - home town of our guitarist, so very well attended. Venue (I believe) is fairly new. Called The Petri Dish, It's a rennovated shop on the high street, but done really well. We play originals, but to pad out to the requested 60min set, we added a few covers. One of them being Staring at the Rude Boys. We found out a couple of hours before doors open Ruts DC guitarist Leigh Haggarty would be in attendence. Cue squeaky bum. I played my Nate Mendel P bass through and Orange Bass Butler through my Little Bass Thing effect return through Orange 2x10 & 2x12.

Great venue, great sound, great crows, great night.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

So how did the Blackstar amp and T'bird do.

Sorry, yeah, I missed that rather important bit off! The Thunderbird has always been my best sounding bass. I did a bass comparison video over lockdown and it was the one everyone singled out (bass sound samples on iphones must be gospel, right?!). So I knew the Thunderbird would sound amazing. Mine is surprisingly light too. The Blackstar was really good. I like the portability (coming from an Orange stack previously) and looks, but tonally it was brilliant. I use a lot of chorus and distortion with the duo (having previously not really used effects on the bass much before) and it does exactly what I want it to do. 

And thanks. My look is pretty much the same 24/7. I maybe tone it down by about 30% for the day job but otherwise I am dressed the same whether onstage or shopping in the local supermarket. I think my Dad gave up on my phase a couple of decades ago! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1