Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

My first gig with a new band and my first gig since an outdoor, Covid restricted, livestream gig in the summer of 2020. It was at a social club and was OK. Not as tight as I'm used to, but it was a bit of a rush as I only joined the band mid last month and we had to add more numbers at short notice. A new genre for me too, a Mod band. Given that I'm not a massive fan of '60s music (despite growing up at that time) and positively dislike a lot of that ilk, this was an odd choice for me. However, it's the first opportunity I've had to get back into a band, so I didn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Played my first gig on a short scale and it was a lot of fun, my JMJ Mustang certainly rising to the occasion and being bang on sonically and visually. Another gig at a Mod bash next month, part of a 4 band line up. We'll see how that goes. Great to out playing again.

• Like 15

Played at a local music venue last night, first gig in about 6 weeks. It went well and I really enjoyed it. Brought my new (old) bass with me. It's made from the maple neck of my first ever proper bass ( a P/J Mighty Mite bass from the late 70s) attached to a maple Squire, vintage modified, 70's reissue, Jazz bass body. 

I'd fitted it with a set of Fender 75 vintage pickups. The neck on the bass has been with me for decades and I must have played a thousand gigs with it attached to some bass or other. It sounded great through the house amp and although the bass is now all maple it didn't sound particularly toppy, in fact I had to turn the bass down on the amp. 

• Like 6

Was looking forward to this one for a while - We got a new guitarist just before christmas and we have been rehearsing with him all of january to see if we could get enough songs for a gig. Well, he has done very well so we thought we could do it.

The venue was a place we have never been that just contacted us through facebook, in a town we have never played. Walking in it could go either way, its a social club like many others, can be grim, can be friendly. Setup in a corner and got going (earlier start than usual). 

The new guitarist did fantastically, the sound which I had been fiddling around with was perfect, and the crowd responded to every song. In the end, we got to the 'we have run out of songs' with 2 in the pocket to go, they begged us to do 4 more songs, including 2 we had already done, for extra money, so basically ended up doing Mustang Sally and Park life for £40 extra :D

All the drinks were free and snacks afterwards. Great night.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

Shot from the wings of Gig at a nice club in the centre of Barton-Upon-Humber last night. This one was an uphill battle, I’m still struggling with a dog inflicted injury (tripped on said dog and fell downstairs landing on a big toe - not broken but it’s not happy) and the singist’s voice was buggered from this persistent viral jobby that’s still doing the rounds. We got through it and the audience was appreciative but it definitely felt like a double shift. Hopefully we’ll all be in better nick next week for a return to a particularly nice club in Dronfield. Rock n roll eh?

Only just spotted I’d left my mid spot banana energy booster on top of my minimalist pedal set up.

85C874EC-93CC-4796-997A-DD6608769565.thumb.jpeg.24aca8f6c4f032f275336a3214e2133f.jpeg

I assumed it was a stage prop but best not go into that too deeply. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Was looking forward to this one for a while - We got a new guitarist just before christmas and we have been rehearsing with him all of january to see if we could get enough songs for a gig. Well, he has done very well so we thought we could do it.

The venue was a place we have never been that just contacted us through facebook, in a town we have never played. Walking in it could go either way, its a social club like many others, can be grim, can be friendly. Setup in a corner and got going (earlier start than usual). 

The new guitarist did fantastically, the sound which I had been fiddling around with was perfect, and the crowd responded to every song. In the end, we got to the 'we have run out of songs' with 2 in the pocket to go, they begged us to do 4 more songs, including 2 we had already done, for extra money, so basically ended up doing Mustang Sally and Park life for £40 extra :D

All the drinks were free and snacks afterwards. Great night.

Those are the nights! Wonderful stuff.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, martthebass said:

Only just spotted I’d left my mid spot banana energy booster on top of my minimalist pedal set up.

Is it a clean booster, or does it add some drive? And, most crucial, where does it come in the signal chain? 😂

Edited by Franticsmurf

Away from the bass, my duo Deadlight Dance played a low key spot at The Barge in Honeystreet, Wilts. Nick (other half of DLD) used to live next door and this was a regular haunt for us three decades ago. Very alternative-y vibe. Got told off by one member of the audience for looking far too young for my age (the photo doesn't support this view, mind!). "Do you take illegal drugs?" she enquired. "No, I'm quite healthy living" I replied to which she started pointing at me, shouting "see!" Quite surreal. Another bloke asked to sit by me "because you look really cool", only to then undermine my brief moment of being flattered by detailing a long history of mental health concerns. 

We did a mix of Cure and Sisters of Mercy songs (on the mandolin and mandocello) before doing our new single "Missives from the Sisters" (shameless plug alert, streaming on all good - & bad - platforms via Ray Records from Friday). 

822525389_BargeDebut.jpg.bd5285373abb8114113016849dcf323a.jpg

• Like 13

14 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Away from the bass, my duo Deadlight Dance played a low key spot at The Barge in Honeystreet, Wilts. Nick (other half of DLD) used to live next door and this was a regular haunt for us three decades ago. Very alternative-y vibe. Got told off by one member of the audience for looking far too young for my age (the photo doesn't support this view, mind!). "Do you take illegal drugs?" she enquired. "No, I'm quite healthy living" I replied to which she started pointing at me, shouting "see!" Quite surreal. Another bloke asked to sit by me "because you look really cool", only to then undermine my brief moment of being flattered by detailing a long history of mental health concerns. 

We did a mix of Cure and Sisters of Mercy songs (on the mandolin and mandocello) before doing our new single "Missives from the Sisters" (shameless plug alert, streaming on all good - & bad - platforms via Ray Records from Friday). 

Yes I’ve played there. Everyone is on first name terms, and it gets pretty wild once the drink takes hold!

• Like 3

The last of our "almost acoustic" gigs on Saturday night in Wroot near Doncaster. It's very much a village hall type venue, but the sound is always great. The original plan was to have an all-seated affair, which reduced capacity, and so it sold out within hours of being announced. As footage of our "almost acoustic" gigs started to appear on the internet, the promoter for this one realised that seating may not be appropriate due to all the p*ssed up punks going nuts. This meant he could up the capacity again, but it was a bit late to shift many more tickets (although apparently he did another 20). Anyway, there were plenty for the room, we sold loads of merch, went down really well, and got loads of free pizza and beer. I don't think it gets much better than that!

I've been finding these gigs really easy in terms of physical effort. We've got loads of the "full band" gigs booked for this year and I'm worried I'll not be up to it. Better get exercising! 

There are loads of photos on Facebook in our "Headsticks Gigs" group but I'm not sure it's polite to just nick them for here. The venue is cool anyway, lots of fairy lights etc.

Edited by cheddatom
  • Like 10

Hurtsfall supported Byronic Sex & Exile at The Angel in Nottingham last night. Got a small but very enthusiastic audience out on a Sunday night for two fairly niche acts, but we made some new fans and it looks as though we'll be playing the final night of this year's Goth City festival in July as a result.

Sound wasn't quite as good on stage as last time we played The Angel, nothing that we couldn't cope with though. BS&E were fairly quiet FoH so I'm wondering if there has been a policy of turning the bands down since our last gig here. No photos on Facebook yet, but I could see people taking them, so I'm sure there will one or two up in the next couple of days.

Next up it's three weekends of gigs with In Isolation during March followed by Hurtsfall on "Goth Friday" in April. Busy times... 

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

9 hours ago, Mickeyboro said:

Yes I’ve played there. Everyone is on first name terms, and it gets pretty wild once the drink takes hold!

That's one of my locals, played there many times and can be a  great gig😎🙂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

We've been off for the past 4 weeks. That means we didn't have much booked for Jan & Feb. And we had a member with a serious medical issue.

We start up again next weekend with a high end acoustic gig.

Blue

1648337130829~2.jpg

Hope the health issue is sorted and good to see you back out again Daryl.

All the best

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

We've been off for the past 4 weeks. That means we didn't have much booked for Jan & Feb. And we had a member with a serious medical issue.

We start up again next weekend with a high end acoustic gig.

Blue

1648337130829~2.jpg

Good to see you back out on the road Daryl

• Like 1

We played our studio engineer / co-producer's birthday bash in the rock n roll capital of NE Wiltshire (drum roll.....) Mildenhall last night! What made the event extra special for me was my old drummer from two of my recent bands made the trek all the way over from Wales to surprise us. We also got to jam with Cozy Powell's old keyboard player - not particularly my bag but very talented player and a sweet guy. 

Should probably add that this was also an informal launch for our debut single "Missives from the Sisters" which I'll unapologetically post here despite having posted it earier in the Share Your Music forum. Partly to make up for the rubbish phone snap! 

dae4ba4d-67d1-4a0e-8c5e-7de9f816b504.thumb.jpg.cc8ae9d421f995f98ff7e683fd2912d0.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Hope the health issue is sorted and good to see you back out again Daryl.

All the best

Dave

Hi Dave,

Hope all is well with you and family.

We have a bunch of good bookings for Maple Road and our acoustic offering She's Right I'm left for summer 2023. We've also turned down a few bookings.

Daryl

• Like 1

On 13/02/2023 at 04:48, cheddatom said:

The last of our "almost acoustic" gigs on Saturday night in Wroot near Doncaster. It's very much a village hall type venue, but the sound is always great. The original plan was to have an all-seated affair, which reduced capacity, and so it sold out within hours of being announced. As footage of our "almost acoustic" gigs started to appear on the internet, the promoter for this one realised that seating may not be appropriate due to all the p*ssed up punks going nuts. This meant he could up the capacity again, but it was a bit late to shift many more tickets (although apparently he did another 20). Anyway, there were plenty for the room, we sold loads of merch, went down really well, and got loads of free pizza and beer. I don't think it gets much better than that!

I've been finding these gigs really easy in terms of physical effort. We've got loads of the "full band" gigs booked for this year and I'm worried I'll not be up to it. Better get exercising! 

There are loads of photos on Facebook in our "Headsticks Gigs" group but I'm not sure it's polite to just nick them for here. The venue is cool anyway, lots of fairy lights etc.

I do full band and acoustic too. What's it like in your neck of the woods, is it easier to book the acoustic gigs?

Blue