Why become a member? ×

FRETLESS PLAYERS

henry norton

Mine is lined but purely because it was the only one available in my price range at the time.

I can't really see the lines during gigs so I could probably get away without them. I'd like to try an unlined one once I have more experience with the fretless (I've only been playing it for about a year).

I used to have an unmarked, but found I got to know the little details and nuances of the ebony and started using those to reference my intonation if the light was OK. I also had one or two (neurotic singer songwriter type) people moan during sessions about the 'mwaw' sound seeming out of tune. I now have dots on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th positions. I've still got that cool looking and mind opening expanse of plain wood but also a reference for basic positions.

Lined... sort of.

Mine's a Defret & I thought it would be a good idea to put mahogany fretlines into a dark rosewood board - it was, until I started playing it. At the first sign of finger-grease & that, all my lovely inlaid strips vanished.

With hindsight, I wouldn't have bothered, as I don't look at the face of the fingerboard anyway - just the edge. I've now "enhanced" the fretlines on the edge & generally know where I am. Haven't tried it under typical stage lighting (i.e. not much) yet.

Pete.

I've had unlined and now a lined and I think bilbo is spot on that it's best that your ear maintains your intonation, therefore not having lines forces you to listen more to what you're playing.

However, personally I just feel more comfortable having lines. For me they're like having an air bag in a car, I don't neccesarily use it, but it's damn good to have it in case I need to :)

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='648443' date='Nov 7 2009, 11:45 PM']I can use either, but prefer lines. They come in handy when I can't hear myself[/quote]

[quote name='witterth' post='648447' date='Nov 7 2009, 11:53 PM']Unlined looks cooler, but I'd be sunk without the side dots.[/quote]

+1 to both of the above.

I'll never be a fretless-only player, so I need to be able to switch between fretted and fretless really easily.

My Ibanez fretless (a 2366 P-bass from 1972) has "fret-edges", i.e. partial frets about a millimetre long set into the side of the fretboard, exactly where the frets would end on a fretted bass, plus the usual side dots you'd expect.

When I'm playing, and glance down at the (side of the) neck, it looks like a fretted bass. To the audience, it's an uninterrupted expanse of (stained) rosewood.

[url="http://tinypic.com/a/z8zs/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/z8zs/3[/url]

Brilliantly simply, and simply brilliant. I'd recommend that to any fretted player looking to start playing fretless.

The only thing I'd change (magic wand at the ready) is that I'd prefer a maple board. Rosewood doesn't have quite the sound I'm after.