Why become a member? ×

You're a punk and you'll amount to nothing!!! Tell that to three of the most educated musicians out there...

Greg Graffin of Bad Religion - PhD in Zoology and Professor of Evolutionary Science.

Milo Aukerman of The Descendants - PhD in Molecular Genetics.

Dexter Holland of The Offspring - PhD in Molecular Biology.

Also aware that Brian May and Sterling Morrison also hold PhDs.

Bad Religion, The Descendants and The Offspring were (and really still are) 3 of my absolute favourite bands when I was discovering music at around 13 or so. My parents never judged me in the slightest for my music choices, but there has always been a bit of a stigma around punk and punk rock. I suppose in the 80s LA days it's was justified to a degree! (No pun intended).

But I do enjoy the fact that 3 of the most educated musicians out there all reside with the Punk/Punk Rock genre. 

I don't have a degree, certainly not a doctorate, a huge amount of respect to those that do! Anyone here, or any other musicians that have managed to not only be a musician, but somehow also earn themselves a PhD?

I didn't knos any of those folk had PhDs! Interesting.

Off the top of my head, Caribou (Dan Snaith) has a PhD in mathematics, and Floating Points (Sam Shepherd) has a PhD in neuroscience.

My PhD was in Environmental Chemistry... but I wouldn't call myself much of a musician!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

By some extraordinary coincidence, I'm just watching TOTP 1984 and Jim Diamond pops up, who of course was part of the band PhD . Sadly none of the band actually had one.

Posted (edited)

I'm not convinced that a PhD, or, indeed, any qualification at all, is relevant in this context, nor any other, other than the subject concerned. It only demonstrates, to my way of thinking, an ability to pass certain exams and criteria, plus the willingness to do so. How many punk, or other, musicians, are able to cook a decent breakfast, or erect a brick wall..? Are Life Skills not something to celebrate, or are any and all of these things simply idle curiosity and 'fluff'..? No Master Luthiers out there..? No accomplished cricketers, or polyglots..? I'm not suggesting that these pieces of paper are worthless; just that I don't see what's so special, or odd, in anyone obtaining such, whatever they do on or off stage. Maybe it's just a dull week. :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I'm not convinced that a PhD, or, indeed, any qualification at all, is relevant in this context, nor any other, other than the subject concerned. It only demonstrates, to my way of thinking, an ability to pass certain exams and criteria, plus the willingness to do so. How many punk, or other, musicians, are able to cook a decent breakfast, or erect a brick wall..? Are Life Skills not something to celebrate, or are any and all of these things simply idle curiosity and 'fluff'..? No Master Luthiers out there..? No accomplished cricketers, or polyglots..? I'm not suggesting that these pieces of paper are worthless; just that I don't see what's so special, or odd, in anyone obtaining such, whatever they do on or off stage. Maybe it's just a dull week. :|

Why celebrate  polyglots whilst decrying polymaths?

Edited by Mykesbass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Maybe it's just a dull week. :|

It would seem to be! 

I think you're looking FAR too much into the reason of this post... Not everything requires over-analysis, unless of course you want to obtain a PhD in analytics that is. 

If you're not interested in the thread, or don't see its point, then there probably isn't a point to voicing your 'I don't see the point' point. 

There's a thread entirely dedicated to the discussion of tea that might be more your cup of tea, and probably a few apostrophes in the wrong place somewhere on the site (or indeed within this thread) that need you to point them out. Time might be better served in those pursuits! 😁

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Why celebrate Polly Harvey whilst decrying Poly Styrene? :biggrin:

Sadly, both Polly Peck and Poli Tics have completely gone down the Swanee.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binky_bass said:

But I do enjoy the fact that 3 of the most educated musicians out there all reside with the Punk/Punk Rock genre.

Where? 🤔

I can't see any Punk bands mentioned in your post 😕

😜

I've got a PhD in musical acoustics. 

In my experience, loads of people with PhDs also play instruments. Not sure if that's because well rounded, curious minded people gravitate towards music or whether it's because the kind of people who are able to go to university for 6-9 years are the kind of people whose parents get them music lessons. Its probably both tbh. 

• Like 3

Tom Morelo of RATM fame has a bachelor's degree.

My two guitarist both have PhDs, lead guitar has several, the rest of the band are accomplished tradesmen.

My friend who fronts a local indierock band is a Professor in Physics at the local university (ranked 66th Times World University in 2023).

Dr Tone Knob PhD at your service

Thesis: can artificial intelligence be used for musical composition

Summary: yes but it's terrible (this was the mid-90s)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

PhDs are not about passing exams but involve extensive original thinking and research. GCSEs may all be about box ticking and A levels don't really require much critical thought but higher degrees, especially in STEM subjects, are special and do indicate advanced intelligence. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

I'm a professor, according to my English Heritage membership. Mind you, I just picked that from the 'title' options when I joined.

Hey ! That's not fair !

I paid for my fake qualifications.... :)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Munurmunuh said:

I often wonder how much better the the Sex Pistols would have been if Mr Rotten had been able to complete his degree in Mediaeval Literature 

Anarchy for the UK

It's coming sometime (although it was prevalent during the first civil war in post-Conquest England throughout the reign of King Stephen between 1135 and 1154) maybe...

Edited by upside downer
Wibble
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2