Why become a member? ×

Are short scale basses really as bad as they say?

I picked up a Fender American Performer Limited-Edition Mustang bass over the weekend and absolutely love it. Only issue I have is the fact that it's smaller than my other basses so it will take some time getting used to. I got this on a trade

The thing is mint condition too. When I looked into it and did some research, I read a lot of stuff and saw a bunch of videos about how short scale basses are not real basses, how they're "dead", etc etc. I also went to a local music store and they didn't really have anything good to say about them either lol

I really like mine but just wanted to know some opinions on them and maybe some recommendations for some other short-scale basses. I'm thinking about getting a 2nd one. 

20240428_225247.jpg

20240428_225258.jpg

20240428_225253.jpg

• Like 1

There's a whole thread on Short Scale basses. Loads of people love 'em and probably a lot more would if they tried them. I suspect most of the criticism comes from people who've never played one.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Cheeto726 said:

I picked up a Fender American Performer Limited-Edition Mustang bass over the weekend and absolutely love it. Only issue I have is the fact that it's smaller than my other basses so it will take some time getting used to. I got this on a trade

The thing is mint condition too. When I looked into it and did some research, I read a lot of stuff and saw a bunch of videos about how short scale basses are not real basses, how they're "dead", etc etc. I also went to a local music store and they didn't really have anything good to say about them either lol.

There are a lot of brain-dead clowns on the internet ... sounds like you've stumbled across a few. As to the hopeless failed musicians who can't find a better job than working in music stores, don't get me started.

Start by Googling famous bass players who used short-scale basses, then try to convince yourself that Paul McCartney would voluntarily play a POS instrument. Good luck with that. 

In anything to do with music you should always ignore the opinions of others (including mine, of course) and try using your ears. Even when they're the opinions of experienced musicians who you respect, ignore them - they aren't you and they don't hear what you hear.

If you like the sound of a bass and the way it plays, then how much you paid for it, what it says on the headstock, what the scale length is, whether it's active or passive, uses flats or rounds, all that stuff is largely irrelevant. What matters is that you're playing it and you like it.

If you play with others (in a band, jamming, whatever) then do remember that nobody else in the room gives a damn what you're playing. "It's just a bass, right?"

• Like 14

I have the exact same MIM Mustang. I think it's a great bass, it's as good as my MIJ Jazz, a bit smaller so easy to carry round. I also have an Ibanez Mikro bass that looks like to came off a building site. I like that was well.

I have zero issues going from one to the other, probably because I'm not very good.

Lots of people prefer short scales as they are lighter and easier to handle. Not sure why short scales get a bad press. Just another guitar to me, with good and bad points.

I’m a recent convert to short scale basses (Mustangs). As well as the weight reduction which was the primary reason for switching I’ve found that they just really suit me, the sound, the practicality of having smaller lighter case to cart about/fit in the car, everything. Sure not every instrument will be right for everyone but those that say short scales are rubbish & dead, well that may be the case for them but certainly not for me. 

• Like 1

yep, lots of love for short scales here

My main is JMJ Mustang but I also have two hofner violin basses now

I started on short scale basses in 1981 and bought my first Violin bass in 2012. They are now my main instruments

lighter, easy to play as they are shorter and the athritis likes them too

Not sure why thats controversial... :)

Looks a fabulous bass to me.

I don't get all the negativity around guitars, I've a range of six strings and four strings. My daughter has just moved from a Strat type replica, to a lovely Vintage Les Paul (Vintage as in the company as opposed to the year, I can't afford anything vintage apart from the clothes I'm wearing). The LP is great as was the Hohner as is the Westone, she doesn't like playing my Squier MIK 89 Telecaster which is brilliant as I love it, but she likes the Ibanez Short Scale (24") and can;t really handle the Jazz bass. Horses for courses.

I may not like the looks of some of the more extreme guitars, but thats just me. If you like them, play them and enjoy them. I am jealous of the Acinonyx though.

Rob

• Like 2

I remember reading negative comments in the bass magazines pre internet, especially the fender music master .

Original ones are sought after these days . Then again headless basses were getting the same comments more or less back then.

My, how things have changed ..

I often think about getting a short scale myself , and trading one of my basses for one . What put me off most of the time , was the '60s look.( That's me being an old metalhead 😬) . I still don't like hofners, and never will,but I'm warming to the completion mustang replicas these days . They do look small  to me , as I am not .  Getting used to 20 frets instead of 24  is a bit of a head spinner for me .

i should have got the badtz maru bass just for the fun value . If something similar comes up I'll nab it if I have funds etc

Thar bass looks good . Each to their own . If you like it play it ..lots .

Almost like the fingers vs pick debate this.  There's a place for all, use what suits you and the situation.  As others have said those that cast a negative view probably haven't played one or at least haven't played a good one.  I pretty much use shorties exclusively on gigs; out of the last 50 gigs I've only played one on a long scale.  

Fender released the Musicmaster as a "beginner" or "student" model. For some reason, that's stuck in some people's minds and had short scale basses labelled as cheap/bad for the last X decades, despite some very prominent players using them. I think the tide is changing on that as more and more manufacturers are making them as more premium models. I love my Mustang. It sounds great and I've had loads of compliments on the tone too. 

Any excuse for a picture too...

PXL_20230728_061221974_MP.thumb.jpg.482c5246fc68b310b4eecb3e56346815.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ashborygirl said:

Controversal opinion warning.......

The Nordy Acinonyx is the most impressive new bass I've played in 40 years.    It's short scale.

Oh & I'd be pretty happy to have this tone as my only one too.

https://youtu.be/-Qylhk6jsT0?si=iRDmdrRwgALy3kIV

That sounds ace. I have a cheap as you like Jim Deacon shortie P bass with flats on it that sounds like the link.

I love that bass. It's by far the cheapest in my collection and I'd be heartbroken if anything happened to it.

I've got three (two that I use), a mini Squier P, a Musicman SS and one of Jezza's creations.

I took the Jezza to a recent event put on by my local luthier,  Matt Kersey which had some pro players  - those that tried it were blown away. 

I feel that people are more prepared to try anything than at any time.

I remember when Ashborys first came out - they were considered a joke - now you see Uke size basses everywhere. 

Who says that?

I mean anyone who would would kind of not be up to date with the development for the last 10 years or so.

Also I don't think Stanley Clarke would play one as his main if they were (though of course that is an Alembic, still however a short scale bass).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

It's like these opinionated twits that tell me at gigs I'm some kind of idiot for playing with a pick.  The first 30 seconds orf Make Me Smile played with my fingers usually wipes the ignorant grin off their faces.

And so it is with your short scale. If it works for you and sounds awesome, then the know-nothings really do know nothing. Ignore them.

• Like 2

On 30/04/2024 at 20:05, Velarian said:

This is worth a watch (some of the criticisms are deliberately tongue in cheek). 

Very strange that they left out Stanley Clarke, but might had been because he is one of those huge people playing a short scale bass who is a looser and looks like an idiot?

All together a strange premises for the video since short scale basses has never been more popular, and that there has never been as many different, and high quality, short scale models on the market/in production as currently.

But they got me to click and watch so suppose they have achieved all they wanted with this video really.

If you have nothing of substance to say about a topic you can always just provoke people's attention by being offensive I guess.

This certainly was a new low (yes, pun fully intended) point in the steady decline of quality of the Scott's Bass Lessons channel, in their desire to "grow".

One have to ask though: "Grow" into what?

And remind one self that popularity never can be a measurement of quality, one way or the other, but always will be nothing but a quantitative parameter/term.

Ultimately though I suppose the answer to this, as, sadly, in so many other aspects of this World, comes down to a question of generating money.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I love them.  I've aways had a couple kicking around but recently, as I have aged, increasing decrepitude makes the shorties more appealing as I find them easier to play.  I have now sold off all the long scales and seem to have accumulated a selection of various shorties.   'Suitable for children or people with small hands' is often touted as beng the only possible reason anyone might consider buying one - that makes me laugh, I have to say :D