Why become a member? ×

Are short scale basses really as bad as they say?

I've been into short scales for almost twenty years, and my gigging basses are JMJ mustangs.

Anyone who dismisses short scale basses is in danger of sounding like an ignorant tw@t — like Scott Devine does in the SBL video, even if it was tongue in cheek.

If anyone says their reason for not considering a short scale is that they'd look ridiculous playing it, they need to remember that many punters can't even tell a bass from a guitar, a short scale bass is bigger than a guitar, and there are plenty of people who can play guitar in public without feeling self-conscious about it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Anyone who dismisses short scale basses is in danger of sounding like an ignorant tw@t — like Scott Devine does in the SBL video

I couldn't make out if it was tongue in cheek or not - certainly made me consider whether I'd watch anything else he produces - mostly yabber with little substance anyway IMHO.

Ultimately, it was a backhanded advert for short scales and, of course, SBL. Scott hamming it up to make a point. Add a nice, clickbaity title and folk are watching it. Then the YT payments start. Never forget, SBL is a business with staff to pay and the YT output is a revenue stream. I quite like the Scott/Ian videos, but they’re not to everyone’s taste.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm late to this party, and I would never tell someone what to play, or what they're playing is wrong (unless a tongue-in-cheek reference to my hatred for Jazz basses, in the right company).  If you like it, you're not wrong.

I am not a fan of short scales, I've owned several (Epi EB-0, DeArmond Starfire, Squier Bronco, Fender Starcaster off the top of my head) and my fingers just can't get over the "toy-like" feeling I get from them.  My brain can't take it seriously.  I don't think short scales can be pigeonholed into any particular sound - you can't seriously tell me that a short scale, active, headless thing like an Ibanez EHB is going to sound muddy, thumpy or old fashioned by default?  Poppycock!

I don't know what the point of all that was except for me to bump my gums and feel important, but there you go, my 2p, which may or may not be worth 2p.

Also, SBL can get in the bin.  I've told YouTube to never show me another of their clickbaity thumbnails.

Edited by neepheid

Short scales are great. I don’t think there was any reason basses started off at 34” - I believe it was an arbitrary decision by Mr Fender. I’m very tall and find the fit better for fretting, the weight lighter and they are less prone to neck dive (generally, I know there are exceptions as with 34” basses). There are many retro styled shorties, but there are quite a few modern styled examples if you prefer those. Those that knock them are showing their ignorance and are probably stuck in the past “student bass” mentality.

• Like 1

I’ve been wedded to the DB for 50 years but before that it was the most uncool thing when BGs showed up. So I went up to a shop in London to buy a Jazz. But fell for an EBO because it was so damn easy to play. Both were priced at £100 and I took the Gibson and used it for a number of years. Finally sold it for £1,000 but I rather wish I had bought the Fender.

• Like 1