Why become a member? ×

Glitter: the popstar - ITV 9PM

26 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Hmmm, my post about caring about the victims of abuse seems to have been removed………. 

There have been no posts removed or hidden from this thread if that is what you are saying.

• Like 1

Agree with the OP. You had to be there as a teen to understand what an original entity he and his music was. Unlike today his image and sound was utterly original and in some way futuristic almost. Its also important to know too that it was all put together by the Chinny Chap guys, the tunes, the sound even the image, everything...But as for Gadd as a person without the Glitter outfit? ....evil beyond words.

26 minutes ago, diskwave said:

Agree with the OP. You had to be there as a teen to understand what an original entity he and his music was. Unlike today his image and sound was utterly original and in some way futuristic almost. Its also important to know too that it was all put together by the Chinny Chap guys, the tunes, the sound even the image, everything...But as for Gadd as a person without the Glitter outfit? ....evil beyond words.

Wasn’t Chinn and Chapman, but Mike Leander…

• Like 4

An awful person, plenty of other dreadful composers musicians producers and plain hangers on both alive and dead. Give it another few years there'll be some spiv exploiting yet another sordid saga.

Sounds like a pretty prurient concept, presumably exploiting some down on their luck victims. Wouldn't have watched though I enjoyed the Glitter Band hits 'back in the day'.

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

There have been no posts removed or hidden from this thread if that is what you are saying.

My sincere apologies, I could not see the other thread and as the wording and title were identical I jumped to the wrong conclusion. I have edited my post above, 

9 hours ago, BreadBin said:

There are two threads...

Thankyou, As above, I didn’t see the other and the exact same wording threw me completely. 

I got it wrong on this and apologise to the mod team for thinking they had removed a post.

2 hours ago, police squad said:

hiding in plain sight

We hear this phrase a lot, but I don't think there was any hiding. People knew what was going on, maybe not the general public, but certainly within the industry, and as long as the perpetrators were bringing in the money the behaviour was tolerated.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

We hear this phrase a lot, but I don't think there was any hiding. People knew what was going on, maybe not the general public, but certainly within the industry, and as long as the perpetrators were bringing in the money the behaviour was tolerated.

Good point, from what I understand was the same as with Saville

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Good point, from what I understand was the same as with Saville

Sadly too true...their arrogance in thinking that they were untouchable is scary.

1 hour ago, MacDaddy said:

It's interesting if you watch his episode of This Is Your Life when someone is on and talking about crowds of schoolgirls stalking his house and he looks very uncomfortable with this being mentioned (apologies for the Daily Heil link, I couldn't find it anywhere else). 

50 years ago Glitter was a superstar in this country. I remember it well.

Looking at footage of his heyday now you can't help but be struck by him being a bit too chubby and a bit too old to be appealing to a young audience.  His act looks like someone's dad doing a turn (or having a bit of a turn) at a kids Christmas party.The whole thing looks shabby and homemade. That such tosh passed for glamour just shows the paucity of the real thing in most people's lives back in the 1970's.

And  while we're on the subject of mid-'70's popstars, what about Alvin Stardust and that one black glove? Was he unblocking drains before he went on stage or was it something much more sinister?

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, asingardenof said:

It's interesting if you watch his episode of This Is Your Life when someone is on and talking about crowds of schoolgirls stalking his house and he looks very uncomfortable with this being mentioned (apologies for the Daily Heil link, I couldn't find it anywhere else). 

I remember that going out... and the 'Shush' from Glitter...

• Like 1

I loved the music. Along with Sweet and others in a similar vein. It was the first music I can remember really taking notice of when I was at school, prior to eventually getting into heavy rock.

Turned out Mr G was a c*** and in an ideal world should be completely forgotten ever existed in terms of his career. 

I do wonder though, what others in the industry are still yet to be uncovered. Posthumously or otherwise.

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 1

Times have changed (thankfully). Back then he (and Saville) could get away with all sorts because they were surrounded by aging DJs who also groped and leered at young girls on Top of the Pops and most likely TV executives who liked a bit of workplace sexual harassment which wasn't reported. The most shocking thing about the whole celebrity paedo thing for me though was that Stoke Mandeville Hospital knew all about Saville but allowed him to carry on (and even facilitated some of his behaviour) because he raised a massive amount of money for them. That is truly grotesque.

• Like 2