Why become a member? ×

Playing gigs sitting down. Pop/funk covers band. Acceptable?

Don't know anything about your specific health issues, but do take a look at @Happy Jack's post on posture. I used to suffer with lower back pain, but Pilates has put paid to this.

If you do sit down (which is absolutely acceptable in my book) then see if you can set yourself up in such a way that it works visually with the drummer.

• Like 3

I sometimes use a high stool to sit on because I am lazy and old, but also because I use a looper and pedals. That's my excuse. I have a guitar hanger screwed to the stool so I can use it as a stand when not playing. It looks kinda cool with that. Functional.

• Like 1

I take a cheap folding stool (something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASAB-Portable-Folding-Breakfast-Cushion/ ) to every gig. It hardly ever gets used, and it's light enough to be casually kicked out of the way in a crowded stage area, but if I feel any sort of back trouble coming on it means that I can sit down for just one song to relieve the situation.

Since I do the setlists for the bands I play in I can actually go farther than that, and program in a song suitable for 'sitting-down playing' around the mid-point of each set. You'll never see me sit down for anything by the Stones or Status Quo, but I'll frequently play Lola sitting down because I can, and it works visually.

I can't see it being an issue at all. My only concern would be that I'd probably bring my own stool as I'd be a bit nervous about relying on what a venue can provide. I've seen bar stools in pubs which look a bit like they've been nicked from a primary school to chairs which need a step ladder to mount successfully. You can get stools combined with a stand if you don't want to go down songofthewinds DIY route. Here's an example from Gear 4 Music:

preview.thumb.jpg.15f223d7981f523fa92697bf6af74e98.jpg

There are a bunch of these things available and they start from around £40. Some have backrests for extra comfort/swankiness.

If it's a choice between a great bassist playing sitting down, or a dodgy dep, pogoing themselves to death, I think most bands would choose option A.

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 2

My last gig was pretty much sitting (jazz) unless I was having to balance on 2inch square of stage.

For a more active band I think I'd want a chair that I could get up from when I felt good enough for it. If the set is planned in a fairly conventional way - first 3 tunes being high tempo, then next 2-3 a bit slower etc etc then I'd probably stand for the first ones, then sit down for a bit - maybe even up to the finale.

But that depends on the extent of injuries of course.

15 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

My last gig was pretty much sitting (jazz) unless I was having to balance on 2inch square of stage.

For a more active band I think I'd want a chair that I could get up from when I felt good enough for it. If the set is planned in a fairly conventional way - first 3 tunes being high tempo, then next 2-3 a bit slower etc etc then I'd probably stand for the first ones, then sit down for a bit - maybe even up to the finale.

But that depends on the extent of injuries of course.

You could then stand up for the key changes, Westlife style! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rushbo said:

I can't see it being an issue at all. My only concern would be that I'd probably bring my own stool as I'd be a bit nervous about relying on what a venue can provide. I've seen bar stools in pubs which look a bit like they've been nicked from a primary school to chairs which need a step ladder to mount successfully. You can get stools combined with a stand if you don't want to go down songofthewinds DIY route. Here's an example from Gear 4 Music:

preview.thumb.jpg.15f223d7981f523fa92697bf6af74e98.jpg

There are a bunch of these things available and they start from around £40. Some have backrests for extra comfort/swankiness.

If it's a choice between a great bassist playing sitting down, or a dodgy dep, pogoing themselves to death, I think most bands would choose option A.

I use a stool just like this one, works well and the guitar stand bit is very handy.

Most of the acoustic duo’s gigs I do are seated, although some do get to that point where

standing may be more appropriate. 

54 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I have one of those. I used it a lot after some hernia surgery.

Where did you buy it? I can't seem to find any UK suppliers.

:

A couple of my gigs have a low key and laid back vibe to them. I perch on a bar stool for those and we all sit on a wine bar trio gig.

I stand for the covers, reggae and rock/blues stuff though. I bought a great 3kg bass for those gigs.

18 hours ago, solo4652 said:

OK in a jazz crew, but not in pub dance band.

What the bassist does in this jazz context should be fine in a pub as well, I'd think. Cool outfit also:

4 hours ago, songofthewind said:

I sometimes use a high stool to sit on because I am lazy and old, but also because I use a looper and pedals. That's my excuse. I have a guitar hanger screwed to the stool so I can use it as a stand when not playing. It looks kinda cool with that. Functional.

Likewise, sciatica stops me standing for a full set, so I have a K&M double bass stool, but sit on it for playing bass, mandocello and vocals. 

But having seen this...

5 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I did Morecambe Nice'n'Sleazy festival sitting down due to a broken leg... And a terrible bad back meant I sat on my amp for the whole of this gig too:

image.thumb.png.860b3d2e67c7d7d10d5c82e923fffbb2.png

that looks so perfectly natural, I'll have to have a think about a speaker-cab-seat !

4 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Don't know anything about your specific health issues, but do take a look at @Happy Jack's post on posture. I used to suffer with lower back pain, but Pilates has put paid to this.

Good post. Simple bodyweight exercises like planks and mountain climbers will strengthen your back and shoulders without too much impact. 

Just remembered, there was a benefit to me playing sitting down with a previous band - the rest of the band were so short that despite only being 175cm (0.0086992 furlongs) tall, it was like being Gandalf with a bunch of hobbits.

spacemonkeys_lichfield.thumb.jpg.df55cc6361d4600a2f96aa5a345e51fc.jpg

• Haha 4

19 hours ago, solo4652 said:

My neck and shoulder woes continue. I'm struggling to play a full gig. I've been experimenting with different straps (including waist straps) to get some weight off my shoulder, with limited success. With practice, I could probably adjust to playing sitting down,  but I've never liked to see a bassist do that in a lively pop/funk pub covers band. Looks out of place to my eyes. OK in a jazz crew, but not in pub dance band. What does the BC community think about this, please?

Drummer gets to sit down, keyboard player gets to sit down, why not you?  I wouldn't give a monkeys if the bass player took a pew.  Not wishing to take the mick out of your situation but sometimes I do that (as in get a chair and sit down on "stage") for a bit during Highway to Hell given the vast bassless voids in it.

I've gigged sat down for years now (case of having to not wanting to), I use a tripod stool, never had anyone complain about it, only downside is obviously I can't move around the stage area and if space is tight I get shoved in the corner but hey ho keeps me doing what I love/what I'm good at.

• Like 1

A tall music stool is actually pretty cool. Remember that early 70's ToTP's TV icon?..However I'd be most miffed if I'd payed to c the Pistols only to find them sat on their whatsists, shudder the thght.

5 hours ago, diskwave said:

A tall music stool is actually pretty cool. Remember that early 70's ToTP's TV icon?..However I'd be most miffed if I'd payed to c the Pistols only to find them sat on their whatsists, shudder the thght.

It happened 

IMG_3891.jpeg

• Haha 2