Why become a member? ×

500w Class D recommendations

Having sold off my big gig stuff I’m considering a 500w class D head to use partly at home and gigs if the opportunity arises ( may or may not )

Not looking at high end stuff and perhaps second hand 

Really fancy an Ampeg PF500 or 800 to match my only remaining SVT112AV cab but open to other suggestions 

Ideally max price £700 

What do you guys suggest ? 

Anyone holding on to a PF series ? 

1 hour ago, BassAdder60 said:

Having sold off my big gig stuff I’m considering a 500w class D head to use partly at home and gigs if the opportunity arises ( may or may not )

Not looking at high end stuff and perhaps second hand 

Really fancy an Ampeg PF500 or 800 to match my only remaining SVT112AV cab but open to other suggestions 

Ideally max price £700 

What do you guys suggest ? 

Anyone holding on to a PF series ? 

Yes I still have my PF500. I used it for 7 to 8 years and it was fabulous.

I now use the Ashdown RM500 evoII. It is also fabulous. I keep the ampeg as a spare but as I'm more and more thinking of going straight into the desk via a preamp pedal, I'm not sure I need all this gear!!

wow, I've just looked at the new price for a PF500 £599 from PMT  (also £448 from giggear). Mine was £314 new 12 years ago

Edited by police squad
  • Like 1

Another Ashdown RM500 EVOII recommendation here. Though also happy to recommend the Ampeg PF500 for the sound (having had two, one which was great, the other which didn’t last a rehearsal I’m not keen on their reliability).

• Thanks 1

Im selling an Ashdown Retrograde 800 with a mono tick case for £300 delivered. Used as a back up just in case for a Foos tribute and it sounds mighty. Any interest let me know buddy

• Thanks 1

I had lots of class d’s before going back to heavy amps. The one I kept much longer than any of the others was the GK MB Fusion.  They are super little amps. Mine was the 500, not sure if the 800 is any different tonally. 

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 1

Having been through many amps I keep coming bass to the Orange Terror bass when it comes to class D. Something about their core sound. Does it for me…3rd time round 😂

IMG_6853.thumb.jpeg.8e8e064b039ee5945288e2f5ab50987c.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Anyone using the MarkBass LM iv ? 

Yes. I've had one for a year now. A truly excellent amplifier. It has that Markbass sound in spades (clean with that mid-range warmth) to mark (ha!) it out from the norm.

I use it to drive two 400watt Trace Elliot ELF 2x8 cabinets and I've played some big shows with it, with no issues with volume or clarity at volume.

• Like 1

Worth having a look at the Harley Benton Bass Block 800B. The pre is little boring/uninspiring but EA is good. The comp and the power section are great. Same Ice Power module a lot of other companies use. 

On 05/04/2024 at 07:25, BassAdder60 said:

Just found a PF800 on Reverb so I’ve gone for that ! 

It is not worth buying the PF500 second hand as the first 7 or 8 iterations of the printed circuit boards had major  design issues. The PF800 and PF350 seem to have avoided them. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I don't understand this logic. Why not just hold onto the Ampeg head you had? 

Life isnt always “ logical” my initial plan was to stop gigging hence why I let go my heavy / large amp rig.

We have all been there before I’m sure sell stuff and later regret it !

I have an opportunity to play again in a new band more to my liking so I’m exploring that and needed a gig worthy amp. I still kept my SVT 112AV cabs so the PF800 will do with that setup 

Either way I’m happy to explore my options but in hindsight I should of kept my original rig but it was a heavy beast to lug around so in a way I’m better off now 

Edited by BassAdder60

26 minutes ago, Dood said:

Have a scroll through my YouTube playlist of my video reviews, there's a few amps in there!

I also need to update this basschat thread with list of all of my reviews.

From memory I have video reviewed EBS, Ampeg, Genzler, Aguilar, Peavey, Trace Elliot, TC Electronic, EA, Ashdown, Orange.. probably plenty more ha ha!!

Thanks Dan

I’ve really enjoyed your reviews in the past 

• Thanks 1

On 05/04/2024 at 19:36, moose23 said:

Worth having a look at the Harley Benton Bass Block 800B. The pre is little boring/uninspiring but EA is good. The comp and the power section are great. Same Ice Power module a lot of other companies use. 

Any fan noise?

On 04/04/2024 at 17:50, BassAdder60 said:

Anyone using the MarkBass LM iv ? 

I’m using an LM3 and love it! Up till now with a 4 ohm 2x10 traveller cab but just acquired a 4x10 standard cab from a basschatter which moves significantly more air! I’m just down the road from you if you wanted to try it. Second hand they’re around £350 I think. 

• Like 1

On 04/04/2024 at 21:00, ern500evo said:

I had lots of class d’s before going back to heavy amps. The one I kept much longer than any of the others was the GK MB Fusion.  They are super little amps. Mine was the 500, not sure if the 800 is any different tonally. 

I take an MB 500 (non Fusion) with me to gigs as a backup but tbh I often use it instead of my main amp. When we supported British Lion, I noticed Steve Harris had a pair of MB 800’s in his rack as backup amps.

• Like 1