But which songs? I'm guessing , respectively they are

Bat out of hell

Country house

Little monster

I predict a riot

7 nation army

I bet you look good on the dance floor

Someday

In which case I agree with you. Then again I'd agree viz whichever songs they are

9 hours ago, NikNik said:

Anything by Keane/ Nickelback.

tbh I think the thread is best kept to actual songs rather than bands etc. 

But have to give credit to that one.

I'll make a contribution - REM - Losing My Religion. Not because I've had to play it too much (IIRC I "interpreted" one cover version ever) but just because it grates so much 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

But which songs? I'm guessing , respectively they are

Bat out of hell

Country house

Little monster

I predict a riot

7 nation army

I bet you look good on the dance floor

Someday

In which case I agree with you. Then again I'd agree viz whichever songs they are

With Blur it's pretty much most songs. I don't think Damon Albarn can hold a tune and the music sounds like a 6th form student band. Alex James is a great bassist though.

As for the rest then yes, you are right about those songs but I have heard other songs by all of those groups/artist and was equally unimpressed.

• Like 1

Ah, this thread has really made me laugh... 😂

And there was me thinking all these years that bass players, of all the muso stereotypes, were the respectful, thoughtful, intelligent, accepting Folk ... 

But no.

What a moany bunch of hateful, hobbity, gollumy bass players we all are.... 😁🤣

Having said that, and especially after earlier mention of the awful cod-reggae forced on the entire worId by UB40, I can't believe we've got 8 pages into this thread without no one mentioning the entire back catalogues of:

Jamiroqouai

and

Vulfpeck

Hearing 'music' (potential Trade Descriptions Act warning here) by either of those 2 cod-funk peddlers leaves me utterly, utterly cold and makes me despair... 

Just my opinion of course, but a I reckon that a drum machine, a sequencer and a vocoder left alone in a darkened studio for a couple of days, could create music with more emotion than either of those 2 faux-funk bands.. 

And to continue in this grumpy vein, I also think most solo albums by 'virtuoso' bass players should be consigned to Room 101.

Right, I'll get my coat now and exit quickly.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 30/03/2024 at 18:17, Japhet said:

Sweet Home Alabama. Monotonous drivel for toothless, dungaree wearing rednecks. I seriously considered playing the first round of it into a looper and then going for a few pints for the next half hour when I used to have to play it at every gig. Thankfully it's now been binned from the setlist for a good while. 

I both love and hate that song.

But it did get to the point where I would introduce it using a cliche southern drawl accent, asking if anyone in the crowd was from Norfolk and planning to shag their sister that night.

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Crusoe said:

Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams Bryan, you were 9 years old in the summer of '69. There's no way you played until your fingers bled.

Yes, but according to Adams, the '69 isn't referring to 1969

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Communards - Don't leave me this way . A good song completely ruined by sweep impersonations ( sooty and sweep ) 

Funny enough, I've just heard that on the car radio and had forgotten how much I really dislike everything about it.

A very popular cover though!

:D

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Communards - Don't leave me this way

It seems like all is wrong in this song - drums, bass, keyboards, vocals, fx used, txt and the song is too long. I don't want to listen it anymore.👎

Edited by nilorius
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MrCrane said:

Yes, but according to Adams, the '69 isn't referring to 1969

He just likes to mess with the media because of all the times they asked the question. He changes his answer dependant on mood.

2 hours ago, Crusoe said:

Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams Bryan, you were 9 years old in the summer of '69. There's no way you played until your fingers bled.

By the same token, he wasn't doing the nasty at 9 years of age either because, you're right...

1 hour ago, Crusoe said:

At 9 years old, that just makes it worse! 😲😳

• Haha 1

On 31/03/2024 at 14:12, Lazydog said:

Honourable mention has to go to "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Toploader. If you think the song isn't too bad, check out the video but bec sure you have a bucket close by. 

Thank the gods someone mentioned that - our new keyboard player decided he wanted to play that, and the guitarist joined in. I flat out refused as if I am not being paid by sainsburies I can't believe anyone in a pub ever wants to hear that song again.

• Thanks 2

On 31/03/2024 at 14:12, Lazydog said:

Honourable mention has to go to "Dancing in the Moonlight" by Toploader.

Indeed. I believe Toploader themselves are still playing it somewhere as they neglected to write an ending.

• Haha 1

On 28/03/2024 at 13:46, casapete said:

I’d probably agree with most of your other choices, but have a listen to the original version

of DITS by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas - pure pop magic, and 60 years old this year.

This 'vocals only' version cracked me up!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mowf said:

Indeed. I believe Toploader themselves are still playing it somewhere as they neglected to write an ending.

The Toploader version was actually a cover -previously a hit in the early 70’s for King Harvest in the US,

with the original being recorded by Boffalongo . Both of these had fade outs too! 
I don’t mind the song, Toploader version. In my function band it always went down well when we did it.

I can think of a lot worse. 😊

David Bowie & iggy pop- The passenger . When I was doing my very first gig on my ltd talents, we had to play this as the singer was all things Bowie . ( Actually , he was a more unenthusiastic version ) . I never heard it , until I had to learn it on a cassette tape.

One boring monotonous drone really . " who's the other guy singing ? Sounds like he has a cold?"  " That's iggy pop " I was informed .

• Like 1