Why become a member? ×

Songs that you hate with a passion

On 29/03/2024 at 11:17, SteveXFR said:

Frog Chorus

Proof that McCartney was not a song writing genius

He is though. Also an artist with a large body of work. Meaning it's going to go off piste sometimes.

• Like 4

Sweet Home Alabama. Monotonous drivel for toothless, dungaree wearing rednecks. I seriously considered playing the first round of it into a looper and then going for a few pints for the next half hour when I used to have to play it at every gig. Thankfully it's now been binned from the setlist for a good while. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Japhet said:

Sweet Home Alabama. Monotonous drivel for toothless, dungaree wearing rednecks. I seriously considered playing the first round of it into a looper and then going for a few pints for the next half hour when I used to have to play it at every gig. Thankfully it's now been binned from the setlist for a good while. 

Ah but other version, Werewolves of London, is actually quite good. 

13 minutes ago, Japhet said:

Sweet Home Alabama. Monotonous drivel for toothless, dungaree wearing rednecks. 

Totally agree. 

Same with Silver Machine but substitute dungarees for leathers. 

Round, and round and Round, and round and Round, and round and Round, and round 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, HMX said:

That faux folk sound around the time Lumineers were ho-heying and stomping their feet. Home by Edward Sharpe and the magnetic zeroes, anything Mumfordy. I’ve built up tolerance for adjacent stuff over the years but I still can’t handle that stuff.

The Mumfords were a bunch of posh chancers, which should be irrelevant. As they're also utter dross this is OK.  The member ( !?!) who's the faux folk equivalent of Laurence Fox is an actively nasty alt right critter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely detest American Pie. I can't describe the disgust I feel when those first notes ring out. I hate every rendition of it by every artist.

I feel similarly towards The Doors music. I realise they were a great, groundbreaking band. I just can't stand them. I feel the same about The Beatles music.

• Confused 1

Actually, after reading through the comments, I had forgotten, probably because my mind had pushed them away somewhere safe, but

back in the 80's there was a fad for video juke boxes in pubs. My local had one and every Tom, Dick and Sally used to put on Walk of Life, Road to Nowhere and Dancing in The Dark. Ever since I have had a hatred for those songs.

They were played to death. If I hear them I quickly avoid.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2024 at 22:10, Clarky said:

Wow, that is so aligned with my view, Their first album 'Signing Off' was, in my view, stupendous ( several fab songs eg Tyler, King etc) but they quickly dissolved into utterly dreadful, commercial (as another BCer described it) cod reggae

Many years ago, I watched a documentary about UB40. It was probably made because the Campbell brothers dad was a famous folk musician. Anyway, they had only released two albums I think at the time. They said we won't sing love songs. We sing about real life struggles and oppression and all that stuff that's important when you are young. If you ever hear us singing love songs, you know we have sold out.

I guess they sold out then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, ubit said:

I absolutely detest American Pie. I can't describe the disgust I feel when those first notes ring out. I hate every rendition of it by every artist.

I feel similarly towards The Doors music. I realise they were a great, groundbreaking band. I just can't stand them. I feel the same about The Beatles music.

Now then, you've crossed the line here.  While I understand the sentiment in this, I'd raise you the Mott The Hoople live version from the 1974 live album. 

Man alive, while I have no love for the song, but you have the end of the intro tape (Jupiter from The Planets suite), a bit of crowd noise and then Ian Hunter doing about 70 seconds of it launching the band into The Golden Age Of Rock 'n' Roll. 

It's magical.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Now then, you've crossed the line here.  While I understand the sentiment in this, I'd raise you the Mott The Hoople live version from the 1974 live album. 

Man alive, while I have no love for the song, but you have the end of the intro tape (Jupiter from The Planets suite), a bit of crowd noise and then Ian Hunter doing about 70 seconds of it launching the band into The Golden Age Of Rock 'n' Roll. 

It's magical.

Totally agree, that is my favourite ever live album, MOTT are my #1  😎 

John

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

That cheesy keyboard sound is absolutely hateful. 

Even mentioning it, I can now hear it going round in my head. This is torture!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Many years ago, I watched a documentary about UB40. It was probably made because the Campbell brothers dad was a famous folk musician. Anyway, they had only released two albums I think at the time. They said we won't sing love songs. We sing about real life struggles and oppression and all that stuff that's important when you are young. If you ever hear us singing love songs, you know we have sold out.

I guess they sold out then.

Similarly Mick Hucknell who started out singing about being skint but quite quickly disappeared up his own backside, becoming a gastro snob living next to an Italian lake if I remember correctly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Quite a lot of the usual cover band staples on here are strong contenders for my worm sandwich list i.e I'd rather eat one than play any of them again. However, Bohemian Like You is head and shoulders way above any of them in a list of songs that I hate. I absolutely loathe everything about it and have never understood why anyone would want to hear it; I hated it from the first time I listened to it and played it in a band.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ubit said:

Actually, after reading through the comments, I had forgotten, probably because my mind had pushed them away somewhere safe, but

back in the 80's there was a fad for video juke boxes in pubs. My local had one and every Tom, Dick and Sally used to put on Walk of Life, Road to Nowhere and Dancing in The Dark. Ever since I have had a hatred for those songs.

They were played to death. If I hear them I quickly avoid.

I remember those.    The ‘80’s was in many ways a golden era for music, but Stars on 45, Jive bloomin’ Bunny, and then Stock Aitken and Waterman (*spits loudly into the saloon spittoon *) were low points that have probably never been been beaten since for lowness.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

I remember those.    The ‘80’s was in many ways a golden era for music, but Stars on 45, Jive bloomin’ Bunny, and then Stock Aitken and Waterman (*spits loudly into the saloon spittoon *) were low points that have probably never been been beaten since for lowness.....

Pick any era for popular music and there is real gold to be found in equal measure to dross.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JJTee said:

Champagne Supernova

Don’t Look Back in Anger

Wonderwall.

You’ll see a pattern emerging. Appalling, over played, over-rated rubbish. 

AGREED .Gallagher senior's third rate guitar smeared over everything (Malcolm Young he wasn't. With narked whining as the icing on the cake.

Noel's only notable talent was occasionally skewering scathing comments regarding stuff like the Michael Jackson / Jarvis Cocker incident.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ubit said:

back in the 80's there was a fad for video juke boxes in pubs

I remember a song The power of love by jennifer rush and frankie goes to Hollywood being played on those on repeat most of the night