Why become a member? ×

Is there a popular bass player, that you just don’t get?

I really want to get Stu Hamm…… but his solo stuff in particular just leaves me cold. I saw him with Joe Satriani many years ago on the G3 tour, and absolutely loved his contribution, but having listened to his solo stuff, including live performances…… I just do not connect at all.

Who do you feel you should like, but just don’t?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I really want to get Stu Hamm…… but his solo stuff in particular just leaves me cold. I saw him with Joe Satriani many years ago on the G3 tour, and absolutely loved his contribution, but having listened to his solo stuff, including live performances…… I just do not connect at all.

I too don’t really “get” SH.

Saw him live once. 

Still didn’t get it.

There’s just something “ham fisted” - pardon the pun, like he’s just wellying it.

Same with some stuff I’ve seen Louis Johnson doing…Arhythmic thumping…how hard can I hit this bass.

Anyhow, each unto their own I guess.

• Like 1

Another vote for Stu Hamm here too. I bought one of his albums on the recommendation of another bass player and was spectacularly underwhelmed. His tone seems to lack any kind of low end too. 

• Like 2

Jaco... I don't really like fretless bass. I don't like burpy bridge pickups soloed. (I mean, who wants to listen to burps?!?) I can appreciate the musicianship, but I really don't care for what he does. It doesn't speak to me at all. 

• Like 20
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Flea. Epically overrated. His performance playing the US national anthem at a Lakers game was unforgivably embarrassing. 

I’ve just watched MonoNeon doing the same on YouTube and I came to the same conclusion. However, some of his straight forward funk/jazz stuff is very good. I really don’t get the image though. I guess dressing up like a tea cosy gets you noticed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MichaelDean said:

Jaco... I don't really like fretless bass. I don't like burpy bridge pickups soloed. (I mean, who wants to listen to burps?!?) I can appreciate the musicianship, but I really don't care for what he does. It doesn't speak to me at all. 

Yes. Its a lot of notes played very fast. I'll probably get booed off now by Jaco fans. 😅

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

Yep, Jaco. I love the stuff he collaborated on such as Bright Size Life and Hejira, and let’s face it some great moments with Weather Report, but solo not for me at all. Just sounds like a technical exercise, clever but not melodic. PS I love fretless burpy tones tho. 

• Like 3

Pretty much those mentioned, basically players where Basslines stop being the backbone and start being a lead instrument. (usually very skilled players, but if you want to be in the spotlight and show off how many notes you can quickly play then just play guitar). 

• Like 9

Let’s be honest, solo bass work generally is a bit meh. The only solo album by a bass player I have ever heard that is is really listenable is Roscoe Beck’s Walk On, because there is only one short bass interlude (it’s hardly a solo) and the rest is just well written songs, well performed and well produced. However, this is not the question asked in the thread title, so my answer to that is Les Claypool.

• Like 6

Not one...Today, its almost like one massive great big competition to see who can the play the most notes the fastest in the shortest amount of time.   I cant think of a single YT vid just showing a bass player playing... One.....in a funk style and doing it with touch, feel and groove.....One. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, diskwave said:

Not one...Today, its almost like one massive great big competition to see who can the play the most notes the fastest in the shortest amount of time.   I cant think of a single YT vid just showing a bass player playing... One.....in a funk style and doing it with touch, feel and groove.....One. 

Yep. It’s a bit like all the mad guitar shredding and tapping in the 80s and 90s. Amazing technique but does it pass the “so what?” test.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

It’s Wooten for me. 
I just find his playing soulless. Maybe it’s just me 🤷‍♂️

Same, when he's playing melodically I quite enjoy it but there's too much of the slappityslappityslappity in most of the stuff of his I've listened to for me to get into it.

• Like 2

There's loads for me but it's usually more about the musical setting they're in which makes me like them/not like them. So I'm into prog which means I love the usual suspects but I don't particularly like soul music (Heresy!) so I don't particularly like a stellar list of classic bass players who I acknowledge are great musicians but I they just don't speak to me. Don't have a cow. Just go with what you like. Give respect where due to what you don't like but what is objectively good. For the record and the thread, I'm all in with Jaco - whether solo, with Weather Report or Joni and Victor who's rhythmic concept, regardless of the theatrics, is deep! Witness his gigs with Mike Stern a couple of weeks ago. Relatively little flash - just canyon-wide pocket.

Mike Stern gig.jpg

Edited by visog
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Everyone who does bass covers or play alongs on YouTube? :lol:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Can’t say that I’m into any “solo” bassists tbh. I appreciate really tasteful playing, good songwriting and well crafted bass parts within a song much more than I care about fast playing or technical wizardry. 

Its like someone having brilliant handwriting but no interesting stories to share. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2