Why become a member? ×

Rock n' roll hall of fame 2024.....scraping through the bottom of the barrel

If the Merkans hadn't come up with the RNRHOF I don't think it would've been invented in the UK. It seems to go against the very spirit of what r n'r was about i.e. kicking back against authority etc. Anyway. it's that time of year again and here are the noms should you so wish...

https://vote.rockhall.com/

The only two I agree with are Eric B and Rakim and  A Tribe Called Quest, these being two of the pioneering groups in hip hop /rap. As for the others..

Sinead O'Connor - really only known for having one big hit

Oasis - if making a career out of plagiarism is noteworthy then yes, good call.

Cher - 'pioneered' the use of autotune and errm....

Dave Matthews Band - yes, they've really changed the course of rock n' roll haven't they?

Lenny Kravtiz - admittedly has made a career out of taking lack of originality to a new level

Peter Frampton - is having one big selling album from the 70s enuff?

Kool ATG - I like their pre-disco stuff but they were never at the cutting edge of funk, not like JB, Sly ATFS etc

Foreigner - ??????????????????????????????????????????

Mary J Blige - don't know enough about her TBH but she's no Aretha Franklin or Nina Simone

Mariah Carey - if you want OTT vocal 'shredding' I guess she's the go-to/GOAT

Jane's Addiction - i imagine there'll be much head scratching among many potential voters

Ozzy Osbourne - poster boy for making very little talent go a very long way

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Music is not competition. It really shouldn't matter who is being inducted into the "Rock n Roll Hall of Fame" and who is not.

Ask yourself this... If you had been a moderately successful musician some time in the previous century, and now mostly forgotten, mostly known for a hit or two from 40 years ago, would you not take the opportunity for the publicity and the possibility of reviving your musical career?

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 4

It means some rich American clique deemed you worthy of being on their private list where most of your peers are not. So there. The rich Americans approve of both your rocking and your rolling.

They might even keep the list in an Excel file. Imagine how proud you would l feel to be named on such a list.

Take that, punks, you lost!

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Barking Spiders changed the title to Rock n' roll hall of fame 2024.....scraping through the bottom of the barrel
6 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

If the Merkans hadn't come up with the RNRHOF I don't think it would've been invented in the UK. It seems to go against the very spirit of what r n'r was about i.e. kicking back against authority etc. Anyway. it's that time of year again and here are the noms should you so wish...

https://vote.rockhall.com/

The only two I agree with are Eric B and Rakim and  A Tribe Called Quest, these being two of the pioneering groups in hip hop /rap. As for the others..

Sinead O'Connor - really only known for having one big hit

Oasis - if making a career out of plagiarism is noteworthy then yes, good call.

Cher - 'pioneered' the use of autotune and errm....

Dave Matthews Band - yes, they've really changed the course of rock n' roll haven't they?

Lenny Kravtiz - admittedly has made a career out of taking lack of originality to a new level

Peter Frampton - is having one big selling album from the 70s enuff?

Kool ATG - I like their pre-disco stuff but they were never at the cutting edge of funk, not like JB, Sly ATFS etc

Foreigner - ??????????????????????????????????????????

Mary J Blige - don't know enough about her TBH but she's no Aretha Franklin or Nina Simone

Mariah Carey - if you want OTT vocal 'shredding' I guess she's the go-to/GOAT

Jane's Addiction - i imagine there'll be much head scratching among many potential voters

Ozzy Osbourne - poster boy for making very little talent go a very long way

Must be a few weeks since you last posted a shouty rant against music you don't like!  😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here's Wiki's full list of inductees year by year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

Can't argue with those inducted between 87 and 89 as these were mostly pioneers and major influences but in each year thereafter ?

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Must be a few weeks since you last posted a shouty rant against music you don't like!  😂

So wrong and way off the mark.  As the 2024 RNRHOF induction is soon it's a timely post about it.  Of those named in my OP I have no strong dislike of any of them. I just can't see what they've done to be nominated. That's not the same thing at all.

• Like 1

There’s not much there that I really like - a couple of Oasis & Cher albums aside - but many people really do, those artists have brought a lot of happiness to a great many people. Just not me and many on here it seems. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

Here's Wiki's full list of inductees year by year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame_inductees

Can't argue with those inducted between 87 and 89 as these were mostly pioneers and major influences but in each year thereafter ?

Just to make sure I’ve understood you….you’re saying any artist shown inducted post 1989 is not worthy?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cetera said:

Foreigner should be in. Ozzy maybe. The rest, nope....

Foreigner were brilliant in their heyday.  Great musicians, decent singist, some very good songs, and a range of work that overlapped into so many different styles.  It's one of life's great ironies that their most successful single is the least representative of their output (the album was a corker though.)

Ozzy deserves to be in, if only because his autobiography is one of the funniest, yet most sadly tragic, books I've ever read.

• Like 3

I don't really see the issue with many of them! 

Oasis - massive over here and pretty much defined the music scene in the late 90s to mid 00s, not as big in the USA but still well known

Cher - longevity and a lot of massive, iconic singles

Peter Frampton - Humble Pie and big solo career, still massive & influential in the States

Kool ATG - big funk act, loads of well known tunes

Foreigner - massive band, helped establish AOR as a genre, loads of hits and longevity

Mary J Blige - pretty iconic for a while, although it depends where you are setting the bar

Mariah Carey - great voice (if a bit OTT), massive hits and a huge star

Jane's Addiction - very influential (no JA, probably no RHCP), again depends on where you are set the bar

Ozzy Osbourne - can't think of any reason why he isn't in already for his solo career! 

As @BigRedX says, music is supposed to be an art and I'm not really keen on bringing in this element of it being seen as a competitive sport. I agree that it shouldn't really matter who is being inducted. But if you are going to have such an institution, I've no problem with a few of those candidates. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, Skybone said:

What does a band being inducted into the "Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame" really mean?

It means that some bitter, envious people can scream into the void of an internet forum about how dreadfully unfair it is, and how nobody deserves it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Foreigner

It's one of life's great ironies that their most successful single is the least representative of their output (the album was a corker though.)

It was very much 'of it's time' and yes, possibly suffered from over exposure, but I'm going to stand up and face ridicule from the BC community and not care - I Wanna Know What Love Is was an incredible song. Loved it then, still happy to hear it now. 

Be gentle...

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

So wrong and way off the mark.  As the 2024 RNRHOF induction is soon it's a timely post about it.  Of those named in my OP I have no strong dislike of any of them. I just can't see what they've done to be nominated. That's not the same thing at all.

Actually, since you mention it, it is the same thing.  It is yet another example of exactly the same intolerance.  Time and again you post about awards/lists/whatever mentioning artists that - as far as you are concerned - have no merit and go off on one about them.  You seem to find it impossible to understand that other people may have a different opinion or different taste.  Same old same old.  

• Like 5

Of course, the OP will be turning down their invitation to the RNRHOF.  In this perpetual race to the bottom they describe, the committee will get round to the OP eventually, right?

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 3