Why become a member? ×

Don't you just hate being flannelled

So I'm in this band, we've done one (sold out) show. The drummer (lovely guy) isn't quite good enough.

Singer wants to bring a drummer in from one of his other bands and the bass player.

Ths leaves me as a dep and the band leader was flannelling me about it, 'we need to get the other girl fronted show going and the blues rock thing' and 'we need a pool of players and deps'

This is why I gave up chasing the dream 30 years ago.

Too much bull ship for me

I actually thought me and the band leader were friends

I'm actually very disappointed in it all.

But I still have my other bands and now I have some more free dates as I won't be doing any of the booked shows

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

I was in a band 20 years ago and the band leader started to give a bass playing friend of his some of our gigs. Same story, I was down graded to a "pool of deps" in my own band. I told him to shove it.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, police squad said:

So I'm in this band, we've done one (sold out) show. The drummer (lovely guy) isn't quite good enough.

Singer wants to bring a drummer in from one of his other bands and the bass player.

This leaves me as a dep and the band leader was flannelling me about it, 'we need to get the other girl fronted show going and the blues rock thing' and 'we need a pool of players and deps'

This is why I gave up chasing the dream 30 years ago.

Too much bull ship for me

I actually thought me and the band leader were friends

I'm actually very disappointed in it all.

But I still have my other bands and now I have some more free dates as I won't be doing any of the booked shows

Difficult situation for everyone concerned when someone isn't cutting it, especially if there are friendships involved. As you acknowledge, the drummer isn't up to it. If the replacement drummer and bass player come as a unit, the BL probably figures it's simpler to use both as they are a known quantity and he won't have to worry about whether you and the new drummer will gel/bond. Not great for you, but you can appreciate where he's coming from. Rather than b/sing you, he may have been trying to spare your feelings.

As the saying goes, one door closes, another slams shut in your face. Something like that anyway. At least you have other avenues to pursue. Good luck.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

Difficult situation for everyone concerned when someone isn't cutting it, especially if there are friendships involved. As you acknowledge, the drummer isn't up to it. If the replacement drummer and bass player come as a unit, the BL probably figures it's simpler to use both as they are a known quantity and he won't have to worry about whether you and the new drummer will gel/bond. Not great for you, but you can appreciate where he's coming from. Rather than b/sing you, he may have been trying to spare your feelings.

As the saying goes, one door closes, another slams shut in your face. Something like that anyway. At least you have other avenues to pursue. Good luck.

By the same token, Gordon and the new drummer may have been the perfect match. I presume the other members are a cast of deps too? Maybe I'm a bit sensitive but I'd be sharing the disappointment.

Edited by Steve Browning
  • Like 2

It happens, even in the world of the successful. A guy I know who has worked with a very well known artist for many years was simply told last year "you`re not in the band anymore" after being unable to make some dates due to scheduling. Never nice, irrespective of whatever level, and to me simply shows the real character of the person doing the dropping.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

By the same token, Gordon and the new drummer may have been the perfect match. I presume the other members are a cast of deps too? Maybe I'm a bit sensitive but I'd be sharing the disappointment.

no deps atm. The band had a solid line up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

It happens, even in the world of the successful. A guy I know who has worked with a very well known artist for many years was simply told last year "you`re not in the band anymore" after being unable to make some dates due to scheduling. Never nice, irrespective of whatever level, and to me simply shows the real character of the person doing the dropping.

Agreed Lozz, I'm out of there, permanantly

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

As Gordon mentioned that the singer was going to import the drummer and bassist from the other band, it appears they may come as a unit and be used to working together. I agree it's disappointing, but it happens (it's happened to me a few times). The only thing to do is chalk it up to experience and move on.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

As Gordon mentioned that the singer was going to import the drummer and bassist from the other band, it appears they may come as a unit and be used to working together. I agree it's disappointing, but it happens (it's happened to me a few times). The only thing to do is chalk it up to experience and move on. set fire to his house

Fixed

• Like 1
  • Haha 17

2 hours ago, police squad said:

Agreed Lozz, I'm out of there, permanantly

That sounds like the best, and only course of action. You said you're involved in other bands, so more time for them.

• Like 2

The way I approached it...

I'm either happy just playing with my mates, and if I wasn't I'd leave and find some more chums to play with.  We'd have a laugh, earn some shekels, but not take it too seriously. We're having fun, and if the fun ever stopper then so would I.

Or

I'd really go for it, be completely focussed and driven and end up with a decent paying job with a household name act.  That never happened, because I was never driven to do so when I was young enough that it might have happened.

It's the in between bit, the no man's land between the two, that seems to be the danger zone and I've been fortunate to avoid it and all the bull that seems to go along with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was in a band who were never going to make it, granted we were just ahead of the rise of Groove Metal but I wasn't interested in doing anything other than making the music I wanted to make but other members on the band thought we could/should be making it. We had a great rhythm guitarist who was in another band and his commitments very occasionally clashed with ours. The rest of the band wanted to throw him out because his first commitment was to his first band, obviously! I stayed out of it, I thought it was ridiculous to throw him out when a) we could do gigs with just one guitarist, b) it seemed, to me, quite obvious, we were going to be an originals band that played to decent crowds around our county. We did have some label interest but, again, we could have continued with him as an as and when member. Unfortunately egos prevailed and he was kicked out. A fortnight later he was on Top of the Pops with a top ten single. The rest of the band were jealous and dissing him, I thought it was great! It's the one and only time I've ever put up with such nonsense, I wish I'd walked when they chucked him out and I feel bad for sitting on the sidelines but it's hard to tell people they are living in cloud cuckoo land thinking the band is going to be a success.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Skybone said:

That sounds like the best, and only course of action. You said you're involved in other bands, so more time for them.

Setting fire to the BL’s house was mentioned as another option, did sound quite appealing. Just saying.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I was in a band who were never going to make it, granted we were just ahead of the rise of Groove Metal but I wasn't interested in doing anything other than making the music I wanted to make but other members on the band thought we could/should be making it. We had a great rhythm guitarist who was in another band and his commitments very occasionally clashed with ours. The rest of the band wanted to throw him out because his first commitment was to his first band, obviously! I stayed out of it, I thought it was ridiculous to throw him out when a) we could do gigs with just one guitarist, b) it seemed, to me, quite obvious, we were going to be an originals band that played to decent crowds around our county. We did have some label interest but, again, we could have continued with him as an as and when member. Unfortunately egos prevailed and he was kicked out. A fortnight later he was on Top of the Pops with a top ten single. The rest of the band were jealous and dissing him, I thought it was great! It's the one and only time I've ever put up with such nonsense, I wish I'd walked when they chucked him out and I feel bad for sitting on the sidelines but it's hard to tell people they are living in cloud cuckoo land thinking the band is going to be a success.

Please do tell.

Who we’re the band that made TOTP with the top ten single ?

20 hours ago, Count Bassy said:

Singer sounds like a bit of a w**ker. Sees a potentially successful band and wants to get his mates in.

Perhaps you should turn the tables and get another singer in.

Get a worse singer in and tell the current guy that it's an improvement.

Then get proper new singer.

Wasn't it Billy Joel who binned his long standing band the minute he got a proper hit?

I think I saw that on a documentary. Guys like Kenny Aronoff thrilled about playing on a hit then then getting a call from an agent telling them to go home. 

• Like 1

Had this with a ska band who advertised on JMB locally for a saxist - I got the job, only to find out later that there was already a saxist who had been missing gigs and rehearsals due to a love of certain substances so I’d been hired as a backstop. 

When he realised that his seat was in jeopardy the saxist suddenly became available again. I then found out that gigs were being played without me being told; when I asked the BL what was going on, he used the old ‘pool of deps’ line, so I told him to stuff it.

I was well pi**ed off because of the huge amount of work I’d done to work out the brass parts, with no help from the trumpeter who was mates with the saxist and probably wanted me to fail.

We live and learn, it’s not what you know or can do but who you know...

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Wasn't it Billy Joel who binned his long standing band the minute he got a proper hit?

I think I saw that on a documentary. Guys like Kenny Aronoff thrilled about playing on a hit then then getting a call from an agent telling them to go home. 

yes, Billy Joel.  "Hired Gun" was the documentary.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

The way I approached it...

I'm either happy just playing with my mates, and if I wasn't I'd leave and find some more chums to play with.  We'd have a laugh, earn some shekels, but not take it too seriously. We're having fun, and if the fun ever stopper then so would I.

Or

I'd really go for it, be completely focussed and driven and end up with a decent paying job with a household name act.  That never happened, because I was never driven to do so when I was young enough that it might have happened.

It's the in between bit, the no man's land between the two, that seems to be the danger zone and I've been fortunate to avoid it and all the bull that seems to go along with it.

Nicely put, my view also 👍

• Like 2

Yep I get it. It’s why I stopped playing in bands years ago. What and who you think are friends become different characters at the slightest hint of money, success or improving their own situation.
Kept the friendships over the band. 

• Like 1