Why become a member? ×

How do you change your bass strings?

4 minutes ago, TimR said:

Thanks. I'm not sure I've used the date part either other than when I've been struggling with my tone and checked the date and realised they really could do with changing. 

I do the same, keep a list of string and battery changes on all my basses and guitars. 
It’s amazing how often I think they’ve recently been changed when in fact it was years ago, not months. 😆

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, casapete said:

I do the same, keep a list of string and battery changes on all my basses and guitars. 
It’s amazing how often I think they’ve recently been changed when in fact it was years ago, not months. 😆

I've started a spreadsheet for changing the strings on both basses, mainly because I'm curious as to which sets last longest if I try and give both equal playing time.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Machines said:

FYI a medium sized paintbrush is ideal for dusting without removing strings. 

I use a plastic dusting mop, the handle of which is a Tiki-style scantily-clad dancing lady. The mop is her grass skirt. :D

Edited by ahpook
  • Haha 1

I use flats so I probably do it differently each time — I can't remember.

When I get a new bass though, I usually take all the strings off and treat the fingerboard as appropriate before putting on a set of flats. Am I the only person who makes sure a bass is spotlessly clean when selling it?

• Like 2

I never change the basses with flats but the ones with rounds are very much, one at a time, thickest string first. Back in Sixth Form I remember a guitarist friend taking all his strings off, only to get a buzz on the E when he restrung, so I guess I am scarred by that. 

Cleaning the fretboard? Like Prince Andrew, I never sweat! 

• Haha 1

All off for a fretboard clean up and polish. Rarely happens though, I have one bass with 20+ year old strings.

Regular guitars are different though, I just replace the one string that breaks. I've never liked the zing of new strings.

I recently removed all the strings, boiled them for 10 minutes, cleaned the fretboard with lemon oil then restrung. Bass had no tension on neck overnight, did I worry? Nope. Works fine .

Edited by SH73
Grammar damnit
  • Like 1

On 05/02/2024 at 10:43, asingardenof said:

I've started a spreadsheet for changing the strings on both basses, mainly because I'm curious as to which sets last longest if I try and give both equal playing time.

I do this, too. Just for reference as all my basses, bar two, are strung with flats. 

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I do this, too. Just for reference as all my basses, bar two, are strung with flats. 

Flats? I’m surprised you can remember how to change them! 😄

Edited by paul_5

If I think it’s time to clean and oil the fingerboard they all come off , otherwise one at a time. I keep fresh rounds on several , but most have flats that will remain on for some time. A couple have very old rounds. 

I’ll be re-stringing one tomorrow. I’ll be oiling the fingerboard , and as I have a floating bridge I’ll have some tape down for it. I’m changing string tension so there will probably be a set up involved. I’ve been finding the strings on a big hollow body a bit stiff so I’m putting on Thomastik Infelds. A favourite string. 
Looking forward to putting them on.

I do one string off, one string on. 

Detune. 
Take string off without snipping. 
Colour in nut slot (pencil). 
Install new string. 
Make sure the wraps are neat and low on the capstan. 
Make sure string is properly seated in nut and bridge saddle. 
Tune to pitch. 
Stretch string. 
Set witness points. 
Tune again. 

Repeat for the other strings before checking intonation across all four strings. 

Witness points are a 30 second task but so many players don't do it: 

https://hazeguitars.com/blog/string-seating-and-witness-points#:~:text=The 'witness point' advice is,when you remove the string).

Edited by Supernaut
  • Like 1